PDA

View Full Version : removing colour casts simply

dbax
11-12-2008, 11:44am
Hi all,
Just had to remove a yellow cast from a photo. I find this method easier than using the colour balance, and it seems to work on any colour.

In CS3 or any version(that has layers and blending modes) as far as I know.

Duplicate layer
Apply Blur>Average
Change blending mode to soft light.

EDIT- CORRECT STEP ARE: (see Dbax post below - **RICK**)
Duplicate layer
Apply Blur>Average
Ivert( image>adjustments>invert)

simple as that,can be made into an action so its a one click fix:th3:

Thought I'd share it and ask for feed back
David

Shelley
11-12-2008, 9:44pm
thanks - i always check the hints and tips...... :xmas31:

jev
12-12-2008, 1:42am
I don't want to sound pedantic, but I couldn't understand why it would work so I tried it - and indeed, it didn't remove any color cast. Soft light blending just increase tonal range AFAIK - whatever is dark in the image gets darker and whatever is light gets lighter. It's a solution to repair washed out foto's but if I understand correctly it doesn't change color.

Can you show us an example of where it works?

dbax
12-12-2008, 11:34am
Hi all,
Just had to remove a yellow cast from a photo. I find this method easier than using the colour balance, and it seems to work on any colour.

In CS3 or any version(that has layers and blending modes) as far as I know.

Duplicate layer
Apply Blur>Average

simple as that,can be made into an action so its a one click fix:th3:

Thought I'd share it and ask for feed back
David

Hi Jev,
damit of cause it works if I'd included all the steps, some body kick me please:(

Duplicate layer
Apply Blur>Average
Ivert( image>adjustments>invert)

If one of the mods is able to correct my mistake I'd appreciate it, don't mean to give incorrect information. Sorry:( :(
Heres the image I corrected yesterday

pommie
12-12-2008, 2:02pm
Consider yourself kicked :D

Works a treat :th3: much easier than trying to find a 'colour neutral' spot to use.

Have a couple on me :food04:

Cheers David

matilda
12-12-2008, 2:09pm
I'll have to try this one out. thanks.

Tannin
12-12-2008, 2:45pm
I'm still scratching my head over this one. Where's the downside? There has to be a downside doesn't there? Otherwise we'd all have been doing this long since. Still puzzled.

MarkChap
12-12-2008, 3:14pm
I see the results, but still can't quite grasp the concept

Just add some blue and hey presto ??

Got a heap of old slides that have been scanned that could do with this

pommie
12-12-2008, 4:43pm
I have a few images with a heavy blue tint (wrong temp setting when taken) and this worked on them :)
So it seems to be the inverting that does the trick.
As I shoot in raw the colour temp can be altered when converting, but still a nice trick to keep up my sleeve for when a colour cast is created during processing or its a light tint and I don't notice it while converting :th3:

Cheers David

dbax
13-12-2008, 11:36pm
I'm still scratching my head over this one. Where's the downside? There has to be a downside doesn't there? Otherwise we'd all have been doing this long since. Still puzzled.

I've been using this for almost 2 years now and had very few that it hasn't worked for. Don't know how or why but its a gem to have as a back up;) :th3:

jim
14-12-2008, 12:31am
My attempt to do this (in CS2) seemed to work, though at the expense of noticeable lightning and desaturation of the image. Perhaps I'm cocking it up? I have unlimited capability to do that.

Tannin
14-12-2008, 12:43am
Rich, anyone who can use "curves" and "easiest" in the same sentence needs to get out more!

Most people struggle with the Photoshop curves control for a long, long time, and many never master it. (I certainly wouldn't claim to be a master of it myself, far from it.) Most people, unless I miss my guess, are prepared to go a long way out of their way to avoid the curves command. As witnesses, call the many, many "how to use curves" tutorials out there, the large number of plug-ins that provide a more intuitive interface to achieve the same things, and even (late to the party, but better late than never) Adobe themselves, who have substituted a much more usable and apparently popular control in Lightroom, which has been a great success.

(Reminder to self: have a look at CS4 in case they have ported some of the Lightroom functionality over to Photoshop.)

(Sorry, I'm off-topic.)

(As usual.)

MrJorge
22-12-2008, 12:05am
This seems to work quite well. Thank you mate :)