PDA

View Full Version : 100-400mm Lens..Good sample?

davwhite
15-11-2008, 10:39am
I am in the market for one of these but my concern is the sample I will buy. How can I test the lens to find out if I have a good copy?
A couple of review sites mention this so I have concerns that $2000 could be wasted.

Tannin
15-11-2008, 2:24pm
If it takes good pictures, it's a good lens. There are many AP members who own and use the Canon 100-400, and I think you will struggle to find even one of them who doesn't regard it as an excellent unit. If you are worried, buy it new from a reputable authorised Canon dealer.

Review sites must be taken with a very large grain of salt. This is especially so in the case of more complex older lenses (like the 100-400) which were often reviewed a long, long time ago, and which, it is not unreasonable to assume, have been refined considerably over the years they have been in manufacture. The conventional Internet wisdom is to avoid very early build copies of lenses in this class (the 100-400 and the 400/4 DO are examples). Whether that makes sense or not, it still makes a lot of sense to buy a top-quality, factory-fresh lens from a trusted supplier.

Look around the forum here: there is some pretty amazing stuff coming out from 100-400 users. Go for it.

davwhite
16-11-2008, 1:02pm
I finally bought it :th3:
I was looking at all my local shops and there were none in stock :mad:
Then I remembered Stu from Quality Cameras and he had one :D

Should arrive Tuesday, bit early for a chrissy present, but what the heck.

R1titan
20-01-2009, 5:07pm
Has it arrived yet?
What is your general review on the 100-400?

Analog6
26-03-2009, 2:20pm
Yesm how are you finding it. I lust after one of these, one day . . .

After I typed that I thought I might not be able to say 'lust' but there you go, the editor doesn't mind at all. I can happily lust . . .

roburg
29-03-2009, 10:35pm
Its the lens I use for bird photos on a 40D. For that use, its great, but no lens is perfect. The 100-400 struggles in anything but very good light, the AF isn't as quick as I'd like on the 40D body (but for small birds, I think I'd never be happy about how quick the lens focussed). and its best when you are less than 5m from the bird. For other uses like sport, I don't know how it would be.

My advice would be to have a look for photographers on AP who are taking the sort of shots you'd like to take and see what gear they are using.

Craig Miller
15-04-2009, 10:53am
You'll find all the reports of people getting a 'bad copy' of this lens are old, from when the lens was first upgraded to IS I believe. I've owned this lens and found it to be very good for a broad range of subjects including birds and motor sport, though.. It does struggle to AF in low light situations but just about any f/5.6 zoom lens will.

I have some images in my galley taken using this lens and the 40D if you wanted to use as a kind of comparison; navigate to the other categories from the link in my signature. All the motor sport images are taken using this lens.

The only reason I sold this lens was to upgrade to a 'super telle' for bird photography.

Cheers
Craig.

tntman
23-05-2009, 8:13am
I just bought the Sigma 100-400 OS as it was cheaper than the Canon version by far. About half price. It's a great lens, and I can't be more happier with it!

pgbphotographytas
23-05-2009, 10:58am
I just bought the Sigma 100-400 OS as it was cheaper than the Canon version by far. About half price. It's a great lens, and I can't be more happier with it!

if this is the 120-400mm OS you are talking about I have that lens too and I quite like it.

Paul

Clubmanmc
29-09-2009, 4:50pm
have had my 100-400 LIS since Nov 2005, it has taken a fair few shots, and yeah the IS feature has died, i have yet to get it fixed, but i prefer to use it with out it on

sample images are on my webiste, most taken by 40D or 1D II and yeah they are very sharp.. lovely to use and great once you get used to the push pull, would reccomend one to any one..

M

Analog6
29-09-2009, 7:19pm
I bought mine from Fabian (NG systems) who is a member here - very happy with the price and quality. Iti s a great lens and I would not be without it now.

jockey
05-10-2009, 10:58pm
I too am now looking at a 100-400 as well, can anyone tell me if ther eis bad reports on the sigma, compared to the canon..

Thank you

Seesee
05-10-2009, 11:39pm
From my time on this forum I have noticed the image quality from the Canon 100-400 L lens varies considerably, from absolutely brilliant :D to mediocre :confused013....and the reason is simple......it depends on whose hands it's in....the lens doesn't take the picture.....you do.

But it's a great lens used within it's capabilities...like all gear. :rolleyes:

geebs47
17-09-2010, 12:28am
ive just ordered a 100-400 should be here next week :)

Tonym
26-09-2010, 5:08pm
I have seen it mentioned on a few threads about this lens that Canon may be close to releasing an updated /upgraded version, is there any info available about this as it has been around for a long time in its current form I believe. I am also looking at getting one but if there is an upgrade coming I will wait for that.