PDA

View Full Version : Converting RAW images quickly, how?

Mazman
08-10-2008, 11:19pm
Ok, i either must be doing something wrong, or this is normal and takes forever to convert.

Lets say i go on a trip and take 200 shots in RAW format.
I get home, open up a software for converting raw > jpeg, select all images and sharpen them all.
Press convert to jpeg with highest quality.
This process now starts and takes ages, can take over 3 hours!

Why? and can i speed up this process? and how?

Reason i ask is, i always take my shots in RAW, so if there is a image i like i can adjust the way i want it, but the other week, i went on a 4wd trip and took over 200 shots and wanting to just convert them to jpeg and save it to a DVD disc, and give it to a friend so he can watch the slides/photo's etc...

If there is nothing i can do, then i will never use RAW shots for people/friends i am shooting for as it takes way too long.

Please help, there must be a better way...

Cheers

ving
08-10-2008, 11:31pm
for quick bulk conversions i use irfanview. try that :)

you can add things to the conversion like resize contrast, sharpen etc... but it does the same for all.

jjphoto
09-10-2008, 12:02am
Well, RAW is really the way to go, for lots of reasons, but it can be a nightmare if you have a slow computer, large RAW files or slow conversion software.

Bibble (http://www.bibblelabs.com/) is AMAZINGLY FAST!!!! You won't believe how fast it is. I do use it when I have to, but I'm not a fan of how it works and sometimes the image quality. I don't use it much since having upgrading my computer recently.

Capture One PRO is quite fast, much much slower than Bibble, but image quality is fantastic as is the work flow and ability to make a huge number of tweeks very quickly.

Key to all of this is a really fast computer. I've recently upgraded to a Q9550 with 4GB RAM and 2 pairs of mirrored 500GB drives (which are faster). This has made a huge difference. I can process large numbers of RAW files without batting a eye lid.

A fast computer makes all the difference but if you can't upgrade then try Bibble.

JJ

ricktas
09-10-2008, 6:26am
Agree with JJ a fast computer with plenty of RAM is going to help.

Whats your current PC setup?

jev
09-10-2008, 7:10pm
I assume your 200 images aren't all winners, are they? So, what you can do is extract the embedded JPEGs and only take the ones that are worth it into PP. What you do now is not much different - batched conversion means no inividual changes. You don't use the enhanced features of RAW this way anyway.

Extracting the JPEG is very fast - you can use a tool like IdImager's RAW-Extractor (http://www.idimager.com/?page=freeware) for that.

benton007
16-10-2008, 10:16pm
another option is to set your camera to take both RAW and JPG at the same time. then you have all the shots as JPGs and you can weed out the RAWs that dont come up to scratch and you will have your best for pp and printing

BLWNHR
18-10-2008, 12:52pm
I do the same as Benton. Also a Q6600 processor and 4-gig of DDR2 makes a big difference.

IanB
18-10-2008, 6:02pm
another option is to set your camera to take both RAW and JPG at the same time. then you have all the shots as JPGs and you can weed out the RAWs that dont come up to scratch and you will have your best for pp and printing

That's also my plan of attack.

Cheers Ian

reaction
05-11-2008, 11:14pm
I shoot in raw, and then using my raw viewer that came with my camera which is quite fast are usually throw away about half of them
then after a few days I come back and throw away another quarter

Then I finally get around to editing them!