PDA

View Full Version : Cheapscape covers

Seesee
07-11-2006, 9:13am
Call me a miser if you like { I prefer the term resourcefull } but I just found a great cheap lens protector for kit lenses and cheapies that dont come with covers...........the humble neoprene stubbie holders. Ideal really, soft to take impacts, easy to remove and replace, dam cheap, and brings back the memories of all the good beer that brought about their introduction :food04:

Bax
07-11-2006, 9:26am
Great idea.

Wouldn't moisture build up inside the wetsuit like material?

I was thinking about doing something similar for my camera bag, until I get my new one, and using some silica gel sachets to absorb any moisture.

arthurking83
07-11-2006, 10:02am
What I'd really like is a lens cap that stopped dust getting onto the lens! :crzy:

Really!?!?...what good are they if they don't stop dust? :angry0:

SirNobicus
07-11-2006, 10:07am
Awesome....

and a really positive thing is that It will keep your lens nice and cold on a hot day as well as hepping your hand dry
:crzy: :confused013 :crzy:

arthurking83
07-11-2006, 10:39am
Do they make 'Darwin stubbie' holders?

... I'm thinking of getting a 300f/2.8! :eek:

:D

Seesee
07-11-2006, 5:46pm
Do they make 'Darwin stubbie' holders?

... I'm thinking of getting a 300f/2.8! :eek:

:D

hahahaha..........nice one :party7: :th3:

Seesee
07-11-2006, 5:51pm
Great idea.

Wouldn't moisture build up inside the wetsuit like material?

I was thinking about doing something similar for my camera bag, until I get my new one, and using some silica gel sachets to absorb any moisture.

Hmmm, didn't really think of that, but then again moisture can only build up if it's moist in the first place. I wonder then if the lens did get a little moist from rain or sweat etc would it be better to put the lens into a breathable neoprene sleeve or a totally sealed leather or plastic holder ?

I was more thinking about the cheap neoprene stubbie holders to cushion any impact from lugging lenses around and assist in keeping at least some dust or grit from getting into the focus ring thingies { tech term}

Ronbo
08-11-2006, 12:30am
The nice thing about Leather is no matter what you do it is still breathable to a degree. I'm pretty sure that neoprene is not breathable and you run the risk of having the inside elements fogged since most lenses aren't as sealed as one would hope.

Briancd
08-11-2006, 8:10am
Hmmm, didn't really think of that, but then again moisture can only build up if it's moist in the first place. I wonder then if the lens did get a little moist from rain or sweat etc would it be better to put the lens into a breathable neoprene sleeve or a totally sealed leather or plastic holder ?

I was more thinking about the cheap neoprene stubbie holders to cushion any impact from lugging lenses around and assist in keeping at least some dust or grit from getting into the focus ring thingies { tech term}

What about the stubby holders that do not have a top or bottom. That way you would not have a moisture problem at the ends and it would still cusion the sides.

arthurking83
08-11-2006, 9:32pm
I doubt that moisture would be a problem, unless the lens is moist in the first palce ...

These things aren't hermetically sealed are they?

Try this...

place something in one of those ziplock plastic bags, I have some for my lunches.. sandwich sized, some are almost totally air tight. Leave it in a sunny place. Depending on what you put in there will determine how quickly the moisture condenses

Those are the ones that get moisture/condensation on the sides of the plastic, due to evaporation of the moisture in the sandwich(bread, ham, tomato, etc) the one that leaks is always 'dry' in comparison ..... the moisture is controlled by the movement of the air through the leaks.

If the stubbie holders were air tight I'd be worried. If you were totally fanatical get some Silica sachets ... see all those small sachets that you used to throw out whenever you bought some electronics device ... all gone to waste! :p