PDA

View Full Version : Shooting water balloon problem

axle01
24-11-2022, 12:09pm
I’m having trouble with the Mumford Time Machine shooting water balloons.

I made myself a air pellet gun as we are not allowed to have guns here in Australia.

Basically it’s a brass tube connected to a air dump valve connected to a compressor.

When I set the time machine and burst a balloon with a dart or sharp pointed stick everything works perfectly but when I use the air gun the flashes go off as soon as I press the dump valve plunger.

The noise from the air gun sets off the flashes long before the pellet hits the balloon.

The sensors are vibration not sound.

The vibration sensor is mounted on the balloon support mount.

I have tried 3 different vibration sensors.

I have wrapped the sensor with a towel to try and suppress the noise.

The air gun is mounted on a steel bracket like a long broom handle to get up to the level of the balloon and I thought it was causing vibration through the floor so I held it up off the ground to stop any vibration going through the floor to the balloon mount.

I honestly don’t know why the noise from the air gun is setting off the flashes.

I have contacted Brian Mumford with this but he doesn’t make the Time Machine anymore so I’m not expecting a reply.

Anyone got any thoughts on this.

Al

MarkChap
24-11-2022, 6:13pm
Just guessing, but if the sensors are vibration sensor, is the pressure wave being released from the air tube setting them off ?

No idea how you would fix that though

axle01
24-11-2022, 8:45pm
Just guessing, but if the sensors are vibration sensor, is the pressure wave being released from the air tube setting them off ?

No idea how you would fix that though
Yeah thought that so I put the sensor behind the backboard and pointed the air gun in the opposite direction and the flashes still went off.
I got a reply from Brian Mumford the maker of the controller and he is helping to try and find the problem.

Al

martycon
24-11-2022, 10:52pm
G,day Al. Could the air shock wave be rduced by fitting a gun silencer? Are they just a tube with lateral holes?
I have been missing the results of your hobby
regards marty

axle01
24-11-2022, 11:10pm
G,day Al. Could the air shock wave be rduced by fitting a gun silencer? Are they just a tube with lateral holes?
I have been missing the results of your hobby
regards marty
I’m going to look into that tomorrow.
Life has got in the way interfering with things that are more important,,,,,:D

Al

axle01
26-11-2022, 1:07pm
I think i’ve fixed the problem I made a foam box around the sensor to muffle the sound of the air gun now I need to test it at night,,,,,fingers crossed.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPrKNEEKjbo1mChSEJ0MTZOGS-kACVZqTbfXAIM

Al

ameerat42
26-11-2022, 2:25pm
Al, that link doesn't work. First it wanted me to log in, then it gave me a 404 error :eek:

axle01
26-11-2022, 4:40pm
Al, that link doesn't work. First it wanted me to log in, then it gave me a 404 error :eek:

Strange it works for me, it’s just a block of foam taped to my balloon rig so ya not missing much.

Al

ameerat42
26-11-2022, 6:13pm
Tried again... - Knope! It wants me to log in (again and get another 404 error).
Google Drive pics are a bit iffy like that to "share".

axle01
27-11-2022, 10:10am
Tried again... - Knope! It wants me to log in (again and get another 404 error).
Google Drive pics are a bit iffy like that to "share".
Yeah I tried with Photobucket but the same thing happens, what do you use or is there something a not tech savvy knob can use.

Al

ameerat42
27-11-2022, 10:46am
You could just post it as an attachment :nod:

- - - Updated - - -

Google Drive and MS One Drive (that actually makes two drives :rolleyes:) are problematic
with their sharing links.

ameerat42
27-11-2022, 6:05pm
-- Oh, to answer your other question, I use Flickr. The account is free
for 1TB of storage. Uploading and linking is a piece of pastry.

And, yes, a shot of the setup might help. You differentiate between
"sound" and "vibration" that your sensor it picking up, but they're
essentially the same. If it's really the sound that's setting it off, then
try to muffle it closer to the source.

Al. I've sent you a PM :cool: