PDA

View Full Version : Photography Courses

JustJenMarie
02-07-2021, 5:28pm
Hi I am looking at starting a photography course in the Brisbane area. I have taken a couple in person classes here and there but wanted to do a proper course just to learn more. I have also watched many youtube videos. I have been looking at The Photography Institue- Australia or Australian Academy of Photography. Does anyone know anything about either one of these or have any suggestions for a course to take. I am not really concerned with a diploma or anything I just want the knowledge and proper training. I also want to learn the editing software too.
Any input would be much appreciated. :):)

jamesmartin
03-07-2021, 7:21am
I have no doubt some courses would be fantastic but I don't think you can beat just getting out & about with your camera. There's plenty of helpful information online. Best one I've found is Photography Life, heap of great articles including ones on PP. Dustin abbott is a good one for gear reviews. Can't help on course suggestions though

ricktas
03-07-2021, 8:01am
Find a registered training organisation and look for:

https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/CUA50920 or similar

Then you are completing a Government approved and recognised qualification. If you are determined to complete a course, then do one that holds merit. Many of the courses offered are not registered.

The other thing to consider is this is not medicine, it is Art. People want to see the quality of your photography, you are not diagnosing unknowns. Most people will assess if they want to use you as a photographer based on the quality of your past work, not whether you have a certificate.

As a beginner, the best thing you can do right now is learn, post photos here and take the feedback and improve. There are a lot of photographers and artists that have never done a qualification. Yes having a qualification might make you feel good about having obtained it, but no one else really cares, they will just want to see the quality of your photography.

farmmax
04-07-2021, 12:15am
Tafe runs courses including photography, but unless you can get a subsidised place the fees are not cheap. You can do it as part of a broader course such as digital media. That is useful in that it also teaches photoshop, and graphic design as part of the course. In NSW during the covid lockdown, TAFE offered free online courses, which was great. One of those was Photography.

I agree with Rick and Jamesmartin - nothing beats practise and experimenting. It is true, you will be judged by the photos you take, not the qualification letters after your name.

ricktas
04-07-2021, 7:13am
The alternative is to look for some 'workshops' in your local area. Many photographers run them as an aside to shooting weddings etc. Usually a full day or weekend workshop on a specific genre. eg portraiture, or landscapes, etc. These can be much more valuable at learning new skills than a course will.

Mark L
04-07-2021, 7:34pm
Maybe start with this free course http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book

Steved
13-02-2024, 8:59pm
There is a one day course in a local camera club coming up. I'm thinking of checking it out. Mainly to see if there are any 'habit' I need to unlearn.