PDA

View Full Version : Hacks!! :D

arthurking83
21-10-2006, 3:35pm
Yep hacks!

hardware/software.. whatever!

I'm yet to find any software hacks for the Nikon D's (I've read, and seen firmwares that turn a 300D into a 10D!! :eek:)... but, the one hardware hack I've so far found, invloves a universal programmable IR remote, and a D70s.

The remote I had from many moons ago, thinking it may come in handy one day :crzy:

..... boy was I right! :th3:
I got it for the broken TV remote replacement, but no way on gods earth would it work with my TV! (it worked with the DVD though)

Got me a 'cheap' IR/wireless remote for the D70s now! :D :music05:

The problem was always going to be what code to program into the programmable remote :confused013

I searched for ages and found two or three forum threads that alluded to using JVC TV, Sony TV, and Sony VCR player codes.

For my 'el-cheapo', $5 Chunghop (:confused013 :laughing1: ) brand remote it turns out that Sony VCR code works :th3:

The buttons that work turn out to be randomly placed, so far I've found 4 or 5 that work, and some work with AF-Shutter, others work with shutter only(no AF)...

whoot! :music05:

ps. this is a temporary situation until I can get me-self both the wireless and cord remotes!
I'm not going to lug around a fullsized multifunction TV remote :crzy:

pps. I did find a program to do similar things with a Palm IR port. I didn't find anything interesting to run on Windows Mobile devices though.

...now I'm off to make me a cheap reflector! :D

If you know of any hacks or tips in a similar vein..... please post!

arthurking83
21-10-2006, 4:39pm
I forgot to add, that I "made" a pathetic little reflector for the remote to operate from behind.

No more photos of fingers! :action003:

I had a heatsink from an old 486(:confused013 ) or similar.

glued some ordinary kitchen aluminium foil to the flat surface.

The heatsink was perfect for quck easy add/removal frm the lens barrel thanks to the nature of heatsinks with the slotted groves.

The elastic band has enough grip to hold the reflector onto the lens barrel without problem.

Only problem is if your using a zoom, and want to zoom! .... gotta adjust the reflector.

http://members.optushome.com.au/~arthurking83/Stuff/heatsink%20reflector%20(1).jpg

http://members.optushome.com.au/~arthurking83/Stuff/heatsink%20reflector%20(2).jpg

This was just some fun to tootle around with... like I said both IR and cord remote (aftermarket) wil be in my hands very soon.. I just got bored!

Ollé
21-10-2006, 6:17pm
heh nice one AK,let's here it for ghetto aftermarket riggings ;).

arthurking83
21-10-2006, 6:46pm
thanks Olle.

the reflector was a nightmare!

I went scrounging for a "dolly's mirror", my 4YO daugter has many... but on finding two in an instant, thrown about the bedroom floor.... I began to feel like a terrible monster stealing from a 4YO! :sad68:

So to 'plan B' and NFI as to what I was going to use!...... well you saw the end result!
(photos were taken with my phone camera! :o)

But wait there's (going to be) more!

my next installment is going to be an IONISER!! :D

Once I make the thing, and then make sure it doesn't kill the camera!!! :action53:

Ronbo
21-10-2006, 10:42pm
Lady walking in the park says to AK "Sir what is that bulge in your pocket?"

AK's response "Just my television remote!!"

Shortly after setting up his ghetto rig and demonstrating, the policemen wander away looking for a donut shop.

Ahh yes truth is stranger than fiction.

And this another installment in the life if AK :party7:

arthurking83
21-10-2006, 10:54pm
The damn stupid remote is twice the size of the camera! :eek: ... I need a tripod just for the remote! :laughing1:

HaHa.. only jesting.... ;) It is a large remote and will never leave the bounds of the property it's attached to(ie. home!)

I like some of the designs of the aftermarket IR remotes.. there's one that clips onto the neckstrap, and has a small white flashlight LED.. no more fumbling in the dark :party7:
Thats' my preferred version.

Knawful
21-10-2006, 11:08pm
umm, scuse my ignorance.:th3:
But, ### is an IONISER? :confused013

Ronbo
21-10-2006, 11:12pm
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...it is an aid to help him take over the world. He wants to be supreme commander of earth so that he can have us minions at his beck and call. Especially when he wants us to build a shed in the back yard!!!. :action5: So he doesn't get shot through the finger with the air nailer again.

arthurking83
21-10-2006, 11:54pm
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...it is an aid to help him take over the world. He wants to be supreme commander of earth so that he can have us minions at his beck and call. Especially when he wants us to build a shed in the back yard!!!. :action5: So he doesn't get shot through the finger with the air nailer again.

HaHa.. :D.... close!

I'm planning to take control of the world of dust bunnies... and zap their sorry microscopic @$$es into outer space! Where dust belongs! They can all get blasted back out there, and create like a planet or a star or something more useful! ;)

:laughing1:

Well... almost!... it's a junked piezo electric lighter, been cannibalised and modded a little, and turned into an ioniser, which when directed at a CMOS or CCD camera sensor, discharges the sensor and dust (bunnies) simply run in fear of getting "ionised" again ;) (well you have to blow any dust out, a bulb type blower will do)

problem is I just cleaned the sensor with my recenly purchased sensor swab.... etc..(so there's no rush, or incetive.. but I'll get onto it ASAP.

Dust bunnies will fear me soon enough!!! :laughing1: :eek:

Holy cow! I sound like a Dalek! :jumping11:
( Oh! man.... it's late.... :action041:

sans2012
22-10-2006, 12:18am
lol! Hey very clever with the mods there. You could be onto something with that mirror there;)

I had to laugh about the remote though, all I could picture was you taking snaps in the backyard and the neighbor’s television spontaneously changing channels by some was of a miracle. Classic mate:)

Michael.

Actually, that mirror mod sounds like something you would here on "Tips From The Top Floor". Maybe you should email the idea to Chris:th3:

arthurking83
22-10-2006, 12:35am
lol! Hey very clever with the mods there. You could be onto something with that mirror there;)

I had to laugh about the remote though, all I could picture was you taking snaps in the backyard and the neighbor’s television spontaneously changing channels by some was of a miracle. Classic mate:)

Michael.

Actually, that mirror mod sounds like something you would here on "Tips From The Top Floor". Maybe you should email the idea to Chris:th3:

actually the mirror is quite terrible.. but it was the only conscionable option!
There is a wireless remote that has a free mirror included (on ebay) where the base of the mirror is curved(to suite a lens barrel) and curved again at the ends (to provide somewhere to hook the elastic band).

the heatsink sits too unstable on the lens barrel.... |O ....kinda like that, so there isn't the proper stability ... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone....

Ideally I'd (like to) make a small bracket that would mount between the camera body and the tripod with the 'mirror' kept close to the IR port! That would work well!
Hey!! Howabout a bicycle mirror. The type I've seen folks wearing on their 'stack hat' (is that what they're called nowadays??) easily mounted to a tripod.

I can't really imagine a situation where you'd want to use a IR remote without the use of a tripod, so it makes sense to mount it on the tripod?? :confused013

BUT! I'm planning to get the corded remote too.. it has more shutter options, like bracketing...... the biggest problem with the IR remote.. you can't do bracketing.

Ronbo
22-10-2006, 12:38am
you can with the D80...all you have to do is set it in Bracket mode and then switch to remote

sans2012
22-10-2006, 12:41am
Hey, at least that heatsink will keep the lens cool:)

Agree about mounting the mirror to the tripod:th3:

arthurking83
22-10-2006, 1:11am
you can with the D80...all you have to do is ....

:devil1: :devil1:

Ollé
22-10-2006, 2:00pm
Hehe, you and your dammed D80 ronbo. :P.

Nah AK I thought that was a heatsink that the mirror was attached to lol.

peakey
23-10-2006, 11:12am
I forgot to add, that I "made" a pathetic little reflector for the remote to operate from behind.

No more photos of fingers! :action003:

I had a heatsink from an old 486(:confused013 ) or similar.

glued some ordinary kitchen aluminium foil to the flat surface.

The heatsink was perfect for quck easy add/removal frm the lens barrel thanks to the nature of heatsinks with the slotted groves.

The elastic band has enough grip to hold the reflector onto the lens barrel without problem.

Only problem is if your using a zoom, and want to zoom! .... gotta adjust the reflector.

This was just some fun to tootle around with... like I said both IR and cord remote (aftermarket) wil be in my hands very soon.. I just got bored!

LOL! and here I am useing the wired shutter release when shooting from behind the camera!

arthurking83
23-10-2006, 5:41pm
LOL! and here I am useing the wired shutter release when shooting from behind the camera!

Exactly the reason why I want one! ;)

The reflector works "OK" if using a medium sized lens, but add a 70-200, or 17-35 and it may struggle to work because of the width of the lens barrel :confused013

It's very hit and miss with the 500 mirror attached, and I need a more acute "angle of atttack"....

Jester
26-10-2006, 6:16pm
when i saw the title i thought of swordfish :action003:

0/\/\Ph9 (|-|3(|< 0U7 4R7|-|3R|<1|\|95 L337 |-|4><0R1|\|9 5|<1LL5

nice work on the mod ak :D

peakey
27-10-2006, 10:00am
when i saw the title i thought of swordfish :action003:

0/\/\Ph9 (|-|3(|< 0U7 4R7|-|3R|<1|\|95 L337 |-|4><0R1|\|9 5|<1LL5

nice work on the mod ak :D

"Please explain?"

arthurking83
27-10-2006, 8:29pm
OMPHG CHECK OUT ARTHERKINGS LEET HAXORING SKILLS

p|-|33R /\/\3 |)U|)3Z

:th3:

Jester
27-10-2006, 8:34pm
"Please explain?"
lol i didnt write that :D just googled l33t speak converter and presto :D lol do people actually talk like that?

arthurking83
27-10-2006, 8:43pm
I think there is a standalone program that does it too!

Hmmm!.... I wonder if it'll help me with my D70s hacks?

:D