PDA

View Full Version : New bird lens

jamesmartin
11-08-2020, 7:50pm
Ok, so I'm finally going to bight the bullet & get myself a new lens/camera for birds. The one im thinking of is the 150-600mm sigma sport but I have read it is quite heavy, will probably need a monopod. The other option is the Tamron 150-600mm which is lighter. Is there much between the two with image quality? Are there any other options for a canon without spending a fortune?

J.davis
11-08-2020, 8:30pm
I use the Sigma 150-600 contemporary ( more in line with the Tamron). Lighter and cheaper than the Sport version.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49916076567_41a6bf79d3_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2j3UWvM)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49428434068_b0421f7505_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2iiPDou)

tandeejay
11-08-2020, 9:31pm
I was thinking about the Sports version of the sigma, but after reading reviews, it seems that with the Sports version, you are paying for a more rugged construction, and weather proofing, and not much gain in IQ vs the contemporary. So I went with the Sigma Contemporary version, and have concluded that the 1kg less weight is definitely a good thing for a birding lens (plus I could afford it a whole lot sooner than if I went with the S version). You'll still want a monopod, (or else carry around a couple of milk bottles full of water when you're not photographing :D ) But I'm very happy with the Sigma C.

I think the Tammy you mentioned would be a similar weight as the Sigma C.

ameerat42
12-08-2020, 5:35am
Hi James.
The question of weather sealing would have to be the one that determines the more
suitable Sigma lens for you. This is going on the type of photographic conditions you
illustrate in your pics. That would make it the S version, with its extra price, weight
and size. I did a search on "Sigma 150-600 C vs S" and got lots of comparisons.
The two I watched or read support the generally accepted conclusion that there is
no significant difference in IQ are these:

A longish video but worthwhile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jN_6ApM0Xg

A longish-winded write-up: https://improvephotography.com/36962/sigma-150-600mm-sport-vs-contemporary-lens-review/

When you think about why there are 2 such nearly similar lenses by the same coy
to reach as wide a clientele as possible, I suppose the ONE thing you can't skimp on
is IQ :confused013

jamesmartin
12-08-2020, 6:53am
Thanks John, yes I meant to ask about the contemporary in my original post too. It does sound tempting with the price & less weight

- - - Updated - - -

Hi James.
The question of weather sealing would have to be the one that determines the more
suitable Sigma lens for you. This is going on the type of photographic conditions you
illustrate in your pics. That would make it the S version, with its extra price, weight
and size. I did a search on "Sigma 150-600 C vs S" and got lots of comparisons.
The two I watched or read support the generally accepted conclusion that there is
no significant difference in IQ are these:

A longish video but worthwhile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jN_6ApM0Xg

A longish-winded write-up: https://improvephotography.com/36962/sigma-150-600mm-sport-vs-contemporary-lens-review/

When you think about why there are 2 such nearly similar lenses by the same coy
to reach as wide a clientele as possible, I suppose the ONE thing you can't skimp on
is IQ :confused013

Thanks ameerat, two good reviews. I'm wondering how many people have had issues with dust/water with the contemporary. Usually weather sealant is high on my priority but at half the price...

Tannin
12-08-2020, 8:48am
Why buy an awkward heavy, slow 600 when, for only a few hundred dollars more, you can get better picture quality even after cropping from the superb-in-all-respects Canon 100-400 II? It is vastly easier to handle, much lighter, has better balance, superior IS (IS Mode 3 is a revelation!), significantly faster (yes, one-third of a stop is a significant difference), and has better image quality. In short, it is a no-brainer.

See for yourself: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=972&Camera=963&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=3&LensComp=978&CameraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=2

If you really want to go beyond what a 100-400 can offer you, then you need to look at fair-dinkum big lenses, such as 500/4, 600/4, and 400/2.8. Both Canon and Sigma make lenses in this class ... for a price. However you should be able to pick up something like a second-hand Canon 500/4 IS Mark 1 for around about the price of a new 100-400 (or Sigma 150-600). It takes you into a whole different world.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I knew that thread was around here somewhere: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?154194-Farewell-to-an-old-and-faithful-friend Some (I think) useful observations on lenses there.

jamesmartin
12-08-2020, 6:28pm
Why buy an awkward heavy, slow 600 when, for only a few hundred dollars more, you can get better picture quality even after cropping from the superb-in-all-respects Canon 100-400 II? It is vastly easier to handle, much lighter, has better balance, superior IS (IS Mode 3 is a revelation!), significantly faster (yes, one-third of a stop is a significant difference), and has better image quality. In short, it is a no-brainer.

See for yourself: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=972&Camera=963&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=3&LensComp=978&CameraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=2

If you really want to go beyond what a 100-400 can offer you, then you need to look at fair-dinkum big lenses, such as 500/4, 600/4, and 400/2.8. Both Canon and Sigma make lenses in this class ... for a price. However you should be able to pick up something like a second-hand Canon 500/4 IS Mark 1 for around about the price of a new 100-400 (or Sigma 150-600). It takes you into a whole different world.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I knew that thread was around here somewhere: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?154194-Farewell-to-an-old-and-faithful-friend Some (I think) useful observations on lenses there.

Interesting......I already have a 70-300mm canon lens, was looking for a bit more then a 100mm upgrade

Mary Anne
13-08-2020, 1:18pm
I used the contemporary model though it had got to heavy for me a couple of years ago as I have a problem with my right shoulder.
And there it sits on a shelf with its mate the 7D MK11 I take it out every so often and shoot the Birds from our back decking
It was my favourite Birding Combo and always hand held, My best Moon Images were shot with that combo.

I Read all the reviews beforehand and did a lot of researching to find that the C model was just as good as the S model if not better because of less weight.
Not many here use the S model there's only one I know of apart from Mark L though I have an idea he carts around a monopod or a tripod.
Though many here use that C model. It has a lovely blurred BG when shooting Flowers from a distance
As mentioned it is not as expensive as the S model and if you don’t want to shoot Birds in the rain why buy that expensive heavy model.
Buy it a Raincoat. I have shot in the rain though not heavy rain, I have never used it in the Snow or Dust Storms

I have no dust in or on my combo, keeping the lens on the 7D MK11 helps with that. My Macro Lens lives on my 80D.
These days I use my Olympus m4/3 gear more as it is lighter in weight.

Canon 100-400mm IS USM 11 at Teds Camera Stores is $3299. The way I look at that $900 difference is Not Only a few Hundred more?
The Sigma 150-600mm S is $2399 and the C Model is $1399, There seems to be a few second hand ones on line if your are interested.

jamesmartin
13-08-2020, 1:25pm
Currently using my canon 5dsr with the canon 70-300mm so maybe after doing a bit more reading I should be looking at the canon 100-400mm with a canon 7d mark II

- - - Updated - - -

I used the contemporary model though it had got to heavy for me a couple of years ago as I have a problem with my right shoulder.
And there it sits on a shelf with its mate the 7D MK11 I take it out every so often and shoot the Birds from our back decking
It was my favourite Birding Combo and always hand held, My best Moon Images were shot with that combo.

I Read all the reviews beforehand and did a lot of researching to find that the C model was just as good as the S model if not better because of less weight.
Not many here use the S model there's only one I know of apart from Mark L though I have an idea he carts around a monopod or a tripod.
Though many here use that C model. It has a lovely blurred BG when shooting Flowers from a distance
As mentioned it is not as expensive as the S model and if you don’t want to shoot Birds in the rain why buy that expensive heavy model.
Buy it a Raincoat. I have shot in the rain though not heavy rain, I have never used it in the Snow or Dust Storms

I have no dust in or on my combo, keeping the lens on the 7D MK11 helps with that. My Macro Lens lives on my 80D.
These days I use my Olympus m4/3 gear more as it is lighter in weight.

Canon 100-400mm IS USM 11 at Teds Camera Stores is $3299. The way I look at that $900 difference is Not Only a few Hundred more?
The Sigma 150-600mm S is $2399 and the C Model is $1399, There seems to be a few second hand ones on line if your are interested.

Thanks for the info mary Anne, always good to hear peoples experience. Yes if I go for a 150-600mm I'm definitely thinking the contemporary rather then the sport

jim
14-08-2020, 7:05pm
As a caution if you, or anybody, decides on the Tamron 150-600, it is likely to be much shorter than advertised at the long end. I'd estimate that mine is no more than 550. And while I have no experience with the Sigma lenses, I bet that this is a common thing with inexpensive third party telephotos.

jamesmartin
14-08-2020, 7:17pm
As a caution if you, or anybody, decides on the Tamron 150-600, it is likely to be much shorter than advertised at the long end. I'd estimate that mine is no more than 550. And while I have no experience with the Sigma lenses, I bet that this is a common thing with inexpensive third party telephotos.

Yes I've read thats the case with some

Tannin
14-08-2020, 9:57pm
Photo.net provides these figures:

Tamron: 590mm
Sigma C: 583mm
Sigma S 591mm

I seem to remember seeing them measured somewhere authoritative as significantly shorter than that, around the 570mm mark. Lens Rentals was it?

jamesmartin
15-08-2020, 10:35am
Cccwarehouse has the sigma 150-600mm contemporary for $1205 plus around $20 for delivery

jim
15-08-2020, 3:06pm
Photo.net provides these figures:

Tamron: 590mm
Sigma C: 583mm
Sigma S 591mm

I seem to remember seeing them measured somewhere authoritative as significantly shorter than that, around the 570mm mark. Lens Rentals was it?

If the Tamron is 590 the Nikon 200-400 VR must be well over 400, as it is significantly longer than the Tamron when it has a 1.4 teleconverter added, which should be 560.

Journeyman
21-08-2020, 7:05am
Good day Tannin,

The Canon lenses you mentioned in your post seem to be the go.
Does anyone have experience with B & H Photo please? They have a couple of lenses that interest me at achievable prices. Buying on line presents a challenge or two.
Many thanks,
Dennis

Toddyh
21-08-2020, 8:13am
Hey Dennis, I have bought camera bodies and lenses from B&H. Always had good sevice. Cannot comment on warranty or after sales support as I have not had to call on that.

Mary Anne
21-08-2020, 8:29am
I have bought many items from B & H over the years though only a small Lens 50mm f1/4 they are a good company to buy from I have never had any problems.
Keep in mind when you convert to $AU plus postage then Customs Duty you will probably be shocked at the price these days.

And much cheaper to buy from a Brick and Mortar Store in Australia where you can look on line and find the cheapest one.
I go to Teds Camera Store closest to me ask for a Price Match and they do it too, and also gave me a extra $50 off my Sigma 150-600mm lens
They do ring around while you are there and check up though.

Plenty of Stores around cheaper than Teds and on line though you do get to put their lenses on your camera and get the feel of them.
Also prefer to buy Cameras and Lenses in Australia as some Companies do not honor Warranties on goods purchased from another country.

Tannin
21-08-2020, 9:06am
Hi Journeyman. B&H are very well-respected and many here have dealt with them. They are (I think) the biggest camera dealer in the world, certainly the biggest in New York, and they are straight shooters. What you see is what you get. Just be sure to check that you haven't muddled up (i) US dollars and Australian dollars; (ii) GST; (iii) shipping. Also check Digital Camera Warehouse - https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/ - an Australian-based company I (and many others here) have had good service from. Both companies will give you genuine product - something you do not get from some of the others. Doubtless there are other good ones, I'm only mentioning ones I've dealt with myself.

Make yourself aware of how warranty works:

(1) "Genuine" or "official" Australian product. This is sourced through the local agent or office. For example, DCW buy from Canon Australia, and Canon in Sydney service it if ever needed.
(2) Private imports. (E.g., you buying a US product from B&H.) Generally, no Australian warranty, you have to send it back to America or China or wherever. BUT Canon lenses are an exception. Canon in Sydney will service lenses sourced outside Australia. Lenses only - everything else (e.g., camera bodies) still has to be serviced in the source country. Most other brands are similar, but don't have the lens exception. E.g., CR Kennedy are the Australian Sigma importer (as I recall). Products bought from a genuine dealer (one who buys through CR Kennedy) are serviced under warranty by CR Kennedy. Nikon is similar. Tamron ditto. And so on.
(3) Grey market - product bought by the retailer from an unofficial source. (E.g., a Nikon lens sold to you by a shop in Brisbane which bought it from a wholesaler in Hong Kong.) Essentially the same as private import. Nikon Australia (Canon, CR Kennedy, whoever) spend money on local marketing and admin and warranty service. When you buy product ultimately sourced from (e.g.) Nikon China, you haven't helped pay for the local agent's expenses, and they don't give you a free warranty. You have to ship it back to Hong Kong (or wherever).
(4) Grey market with benefits. Some grey market suppliers used to take care of any warranty issues by shipping things back for warranty repair on your behalf. (Maybe some still do, I don't know.) I used to buy from a Hong Kong retailer (now closed) who had an Australian office for service. If you had a problem, you sent it to their office and they took care of sending to Hong Kong and back for you.

Summary: official Australian stock = local warranty. Imported (by you or by the shop) = warranty only from that other country. Exception: Canon lenses.

Having said all of that, with Canon lenses, you are very, very unlikely to need warranty service anyway. You are more likely to need it with the likes of Sigma and Tamron, but they have improved a lot in recent years and you'd probably be OK with those too these days. I've bought more than two dozen lenses over the last 15 or 20 years (three Tokina, one Tamron, all the rest Canon), and never needed warranty service on any of them. Camera bodies are a different matter.

Looking at B&H, I see that the 100-400 II is $2199 USD, plus $47 freight. That's $2246 USD, or $3123 AUD. But there is US$287.29 GST too, making the total $2533.30 USD or $3518 Australian. DCW has it here in Australia for $3329 including the $10 freight. As a general rule, I find that DCW provides better value than B&H for large purchases, but B&H is unbeatable for things like flash cards. YMMV!

I hope this helps.

Journeyman
21-08-2020, 6:50pm
Hello Tannin (Tony),
Once again thank you for your advice. I would prefer to buy in Aust for so many reasons, not the least of which is continued employment in the country.
Further research for me, no real problem there.
Kind regards,
Dennis

jamesmartin
28-08-2020, 5:30am
Ended up getting the sigma contemporary for $1,250

ameerat42
28-08-2020, 5:36am
Notta bad price. It was about the same a couple of years ago.
:th3:grats.