PDA

View Full Version : Monopod belt pocket support

tandeejay
19-05-2020, 5:33pm
Has anyone ever used this sort of thing for supporting a monopod? (Note this query is not about specific brands but about the concept of having a pocket attached to your belt with which to rest your monopod in)

Just wondering if they are any good. Needing a monopod of at least 170cm, something like this could mean a shorter one (which is far more available) is on the cards...

Note, it would be for supporting my sigma 150-600...

Gazza
20-05-2020, 7:05am
Don't think I've seen/heard of these before. Geez, I live a sheltered life...:grinning01: When it comes to wildlife photography, I don't think they'll be very handy. I reckon you'll still have a lot of body sway while you're patiently waiting for your subject to pop up in the right place.

I tend to use a monopod and have a normally 'not-so-heavy' canon 100 - 400 until you're waiting (minutes) for that slight head turn, eye contact etc...very handy.

TIP: If you place the monopod out on a slight angle in front of you and spread your feet you basically have a tripod depending on how steady you are. I also have a ball head fitted so can swing around in any direction and a quick release so I can drop it at any time.

Cheers - :beer_mug:

nardes
20-05-2020, 7:52am
In my experience I have found Monopods very useful in steadying the camera/lens combination. Whilst they do not offer the stability of a tripod, I have found that they reduce the amplitude of camera/lens movement and help keep any movement restricted to a much smaller range.

I have also found them very useful in supporting the weight of camera/lens, reducing the fatigue from just holding the equipment.:)

I reckon that it could be a useful accessory and I suspect it would not only dampen any movement but it would also transfer the weight of camera/lens to the hips thus reducing strain on the arm.:)

It would also keep you more mobile if you had to move quickly, no need to lift the extended monopod from the ground and risk fouling it as you move, or catching it in foliage.

Cheers

Dennis

tandeejay
20-05-2020, 7:54pm
Don't think I've seen/heard of these before. Geez, I live a sheltered life...:grinning01: When it comes to wildlife photography, I don't think they'll be very handy. I reckon you'll still have a lot of body sway while you're patiently waiting for your subject to pop up in the right place.

I tend to use a monopod and have a normally 'not-so-heavy' canon 100 - 400 until you're waiting (minutes) for that slight head turn, eye contact etc...very handy.

I too have a 'not-so-heavy' non S version of the sigma 150-600... and it is the standing their waiting for that shot that has got me thinking of additional support. I would think the shake from tired arms would be far worse than body sway. Wouldn't the body sway be easier for the optical stabilization to counter than arm shake? The image in the advert has a much smaller lens mounted. to stick that monopod on the mount point of the lens is going to change the angle of that monopod which might change the stability.

TIP: If you place the monopod out on a slight angle in front of you and spread your feet you basically have a tripod depending on how steady you are. I also have a ball head fitted so can swing around in any direction and a quick release so I can drop it at any time.

That does sound useful... but if I have a monopod, wouldn't a more simple tilt head be more than enough? tilt to adjust the angle of your camera/lens, and then to spin around in any direction, the monopod will just do that like a dancer doing a pirouette:confused013

In my experience I have found Monopods very useful in steadying the camera/lens combination. Whilst they do not offer the stability of a tripod, I have found that they reduce the amplitude of camera/lens movement and help keep any movement restricted to a much smaller range.

I have also found them very useful in supporting the weight of camera/lens, reducing the fatigue from just holding the equipment.:)

I reckon that it could be a useful accessory and I suspect it would not only dampen any movement but it would also transfer the weight of camera/lens to the hips thus reducing strain on the arm.:)

It would also keep you more mobile if you had to move quickly, no need to lift the extended monopod from the ground and risk fouling it as you move, or catching it in foliage.

I reckon my wife would be able to make me one so I can then buy a monopod that is long enough to reach the ground, and then have a belt pocket, and have the best of both worlds :)

Gazza
21-05-2020, 6:29am
That does sound useful... but if I have a monopod, wouldn't a more simple tilt head be more than enough? tilt to adjust the angle of your camera/lens, and then to spin around in any direction, the monopod will just do that like a dancer doing a pirouette:confused013
Never used/tried a more simple tilt head, John. I'd imagine there'd be limitations? I chose the ball head (very similar to that shown in the advert↑) for flexibility and being able to swing the camera into a portrait position quickly without having to loosen the lens mount-ring. I guess it all comes down to personal choice and what you have available?

Agree, the arms do get bloody tired at times. I'll often prop at a good spot for anything up to an hour waiting for the birds to come to me...lazy huh? :grinning01:

- - - Updated - - -

After-thought...either way you go, having the camera 'at-the-ready' would be better, surely? Swinging/lifting the camera/lens combo up is more unnecessary movement. Good luck.

nardes
21-05-2020, 8:34am
I used to use a small, but good quality PC Clam Ball Head on my monopod, one where you could adjust the drag of the Ball Head so the camera/lens did not flop around too much when the Ball Head was released.

But then I acquired a Sirui Monopod Head (in a sale:)) similar to this one:

https://sirui-photo.com.au/product/sirui-l-10-monopod-tilt-head/

and I now prefer using the Sirui Head as I found that my shooting style and the subjects I took, only required the up-and-down motion of the Sirui Head plus the rotation of the monopod via twisting for 99% of the time.

As Gazza has noted, there will be times when you do need the fuller range of motion provided by a quality Ball Head but in my case, this only happens rarely so I was prepared to sacrifice that functionality and just use the lens collar to rotate the camera 90 degrees.

In terms of handling, I like that the Sirui Monopod head does constrain the motion of the camera/lens in one plane as I tended to find the Ball Head required more careful manoeuvring to prevent it flopping from side to side, although continued and practiced use would likely remove this as an obstacle to using a Ball Head.

Cheers

Dennis

nardes
22-05-2020, 6:07pm
Looks like some Sirui stuff is on sale at DDP, 15% off.

https://d-d-photographics.com.au/product/sirui-l-10-monopod-tilt-head/

Cheers

Dennis