PDA

View Full Version : Graduating from a smart phone to a real camera

GorgeWalker
25-04-2020, 8:22pm
Hi all.
Will attempt to keep this succinct.
I live right infront of a national park so I have an abundance of photo opportunities. I have recently been taking a lot of photos with my phone and I feel like I’d like to try dabble in some more serious photography. Furthermore – there’s a lot of wildlife I come across and obviously an iPhone has some shortcomings when it comes to closing distances.
What do I take photos of? Primarily landscape and wildlife. Birds too – but don’t think I want to be a hardcore bird photographer (as much as I love their work!)
I take a lot of photos in mid light – sunrise and sun set.
I’m looking at moving up without spending huge. I’m thinking $800 ish?
What can I consider? I’m open to second hand. I’ve had bridge cameras mentioned to me.
Appreciate any guidance here.

Just a few additional notes:

- I’m happy consider getting a setup that gives me landscape photos and can look at getting a lens to help me stretch out later.
- Although I’m open to considering a bridge camera - I’m also worried it’s not going to be much of an improvement on my current iPhoneXR, and less to with the iPhone 11Pro I have on the way (other than zoom capabilities)
- This may not matter as much, however first and foremost I walk the bush. I don’t go out there with the primary reason to take photos. I get out there to, well, get out there. I climb hills, cross creeks, fall on my bum, get rained on. Not sure this would impact my options tho.

Thanks guys.

ricktas
26-04-2020, 7:18am
First off, welcome to Ausphotography. Your post is really hard to read as you have copied and pasted it from elsewhere on the net and that has caused a font colour issue. I have edited your post so that it is readable. So you likely did not get any replies as people would have had to strain their eyes to read it.

Given your budget, look for one of the entry level DSLR's cameras and given your likes of landscapes. including sunsets sunrises, along with wildlife, you are likely to need two lenses. A wide angle for the scapes and a good zoom for the wildlife. You can but 'kit' 18-200mm lenses that will give you both in one lens, a long as you realise this is a compromise, and after a while, if you stick to photography, you will find yourself wanting better photos because the limitations of the kit lens are holding you back. However if you know now you want high quality lenses, look for a good wide angle and a good lens in the 200, 300mm range. However this will blow your budget out of the water.

I have chosen to link to Harvey Norman only since they are an easy place to link to 'packages' of camera and lens kits. I am not recommending you buy from them, or at the least do not listen to their sales people about what is best as they often have no idea.

Nikon: https://www.harveynorman.com.au/nikon-d3500-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-70-300mm-lens-kit.html this is the only package deal on that meets your budget.

You could look at something like this, and then ask to add on an extra lens for for your wildlife shots: https://www.harveynorman.com.au/canon-eos-1500d-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-lens-kit.html

Depending on brand preference and where you want to buy from, you could also find something from Sony, Olympus etc that suits your needs. As mentioned above given your budget be aware that you are going to compromise on lens quality for now (though you could try for second hand lenses). Lenses hold their value, so even then you will struggle to get a high quality lens for the $ you have. Second hand lenses come with their own set of possible issue. Stolen, fungus in the lens, or treated badly (dropped and lens element alignment shift) and more. You can get good second hand deals and you can buy a lemon. As a beginner it will be hard for you to know what to look for in a second hand lens to ensure you are not being ripped off.

As you have registered here as a beginner, the above kit options should do you well, given your budget. It will take you a while to learn how to use your camera gear to the best of it's ability and your growing photographic skills, so if/when you reach that point you will know if photography is for you, and you want to upgrade, or if photography is something to do occasionally and your kit is good.

ameerat42
26-04-2020, 7:21am
Welcome to AP.

GorgeWalker
27-04-2020, 9:14am
First off, welcome to Ausphotography. Your post is really hard to read as you have copied and pasted it from elsewhere on the net and that has caused a font colour issue. I have edited your post so that it is readable. So you likely did not get any replies as people would have had to strain their eyes to read it.

Thankyou so much for your detailed response - the reason for the terrible formatting (Which I'll be honest I had noticed looked shonky but just thought it was the forum :D) was I've been asking the question in a few places but just haven't really been overly convinced with the responses. I decided I should probably ask somewhere where I know I'll get some decent advice, hence the paste :)

I feel like you've steered me in the right direction - I've stopped looking at Bridge cameras. I feel like I will likely quickly become unimpressed with the results. I did like the notion of them being smaller and light, but at the same time I'm an outdoors type and not shy about lugging camping equipment around, so to be short, I'll live.

I did look at the links and some prices around for a Nikon d3500 with the lens kit (I agree with your statements, I think the kit will suffice for now, I am unlikely to use them at their full potential any time soon). I'm interested, but in my search I stumbled across a few, what look like decent deals for used camera:

1. a Nikon d3400 (So model before?) with the two lenses (18-55 and a 70-300) with an SD card and case for $480.
2. a Canon Rebel t6 with a 18-55 and 76-300 lens for $350.

Thoughts?

Although I'd prefer new - I'm also keen to keep costs down to be able to afford any other necessary accessories. I also don't know if this is something I will stick to.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok - scratch the Canon. Sold. What do we think about the Nikon?

ameerat42
27-04-2020, 9:40am
Well, I got curious as the the differences, and I found this comparison...
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d3400-vs-nikon-d3500---what-s-new--what-s-the-same---what-s-better--32646

On reading through the specs I found they both had a penta-mirror optical viewfinder instead of a penta-prism. That's cost
saving, I suppose :confused013 Otherwise it seems like a fairly good setup fro the price (but check its condition carefully).

GorgeWalker
27-04-2020, 9:43am
Haven't seen it yet - I'm told the shutter count is 550 however, which, to my very basic understanding, would indicate it is fairly young.

Only issue is the shorter lens and body is black, and the 300mm is silver (was purchased later, it's a Nikon lens), but I can't be too fussy...

Hawthy
27-04-2020, 11:44am
Just make sure that the lenses are fully compatible with the camera. Anything with AF-S in the description should work on a D3400. Some of the others will still work but you will need to manually focus. The bargain can sometimes turn out to be not such a great buy. Here is a link to compatible Nikon / Nikkor lenses for Nikon cameras. https://www.nikonusa.com/Images/Learn-Explore/Photography-Techniques/2011/Which-Nikkor-is-Right-for-You/Media/NIKKOR-lens-compatibility-chart.pdf

You will need to do additional research for third party lenses.

GorgeWalker
27-04-2020, 12:21pm
This is the lens I'm told - can't work out which column in your table this belongs, however?

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-zoom-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4-5.6g.html

- - - Updated - - -

I think I’ve worked it out. So looks like this particular lens on this body will not be able to auto focus.

is this a deal breaker? I don’t know enough to have much of an idea?

Hawthy
27-04-2020, 1:16pm
Yep. Pretty sure that that lens will not autofocus on a D3400. For me, no autofocus would be a deal breaker.

I accidentally bought both a D3100 (an ancestor to the D3400) and a D5100 in the same online auction (take my advice and don't drink red wine while bidding online) so I had the chance to try both out. The D5100 was more intuitive while the D3100 had controls hidden away in menus accessed via the LED screen on the back of the camera. I onsold the D3100 and kept the D5100. In hindsight, I wish now that I had bought the D7100 in the same auction for a couple of hundred more.

My step-daughter had booked a trip to Japan on a cruise (unsurprisingly, that has been cancelled) so, as a gift, I bought her a D5100 body off eBay for $205 - mint condition with 4,500 shutter count. I think the shutter mechanism only needs replacing something like every 100,000 shots or more. I also picked up an 18-55mm kit lens from Gumtree for $60 so you can pick up some bargains if you're prepared to look. I am not sure how much DSLRs have progressed since the D5100 was brand new, but I am guessing not much.

Good luck with your search.

GorgeWalker
27-04-2020, 1:20pm
From my perspective, even if I can nab that second hander for less than $480, I will still need to get another long range lens. So looking at another what, $200 at least?

So I've moved my eyes back over to the new D3500. Will end up costing about the same so I may as well go new with two lenses that I know will function.

GorgeWalker
27-04-2020, 5:56pm
Well. Things progressed quickly :D

ameerat42
27-04-2020, 6:43pm
Congratulations (presumably). How did you find shooting at 300mm?

And now a word about attachments. Your picture won't last long even as an
attachment reference link because it has not been attached properly. For a
run-down on attachments on AP, have a look at this link. (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?156515-Attaching-Images-To-Posts-On-AP)

GorgeWalker
27-04-2020, 7:27pm

I think I got that going - fat fingers, doing that on the iPhone was TOUGH!

So yes. Let me elaborate.

Thanks to the advice here - I ended up just purchasing a new Nikon 3500 with the Twin Lens kit. Picked up a bag and an SD card too.

Just felt more comfortable - I don’t know cameras enough to know what the signs are for any issues. So was easier going new - especially considering I would have had to change that lens out. I can see now how The absence of AF would be a dealbreaker.

Now to work it all out. Was able to find aperture adjustment easily but only just worked out shutter speed. But will need to do some reading etc to back it all up.

Shooting at the 300mm was a joy - it felt like it opened a new world! I used the smaller lens a couple times and went back to it. Being able to reach is freedom.

Are there any other necessary items I should purchase? I.e. Filters?

- - - Updated - - -

One more just to show off. I’m smiling ear to ear!

peterb666
28-04-2020, 12:11am
You have done well and should be smiling ear to ear. Have fun learning how to use your new camera.

ameerat42
28-04-2020, 5:18am
OK, then begin to post in the CC forums and...

For the time being you could post in:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?177-New-to-Photography-CC-(Beginners)

ricktas
28-04-2020, 7:27am
Re filters. Digital cameras do not need them for most things (Digital cameras are immune to UV issues that film sometimes has.

Filters like polarisers are good for landscapes, but other than that focus on learning about your camera and how it works for now. It is good to go as it is, and doesn't need anything else. Once you settle in, and learn more, then you can look at filters based on what you need them to do.

Note that filters add another element between you and your subject. Depending on the filter it could be glass or plastic, and often it can lead to photos not being as sharp as they could be etc. So only use them, when appropriate for your shoot.

Mary Anne
28-04-2020, 11:45am
Congrats on the new gear, and you have done very well for a Beginner. Keep up the good work :th3:

Hawthy
28-04-2020, 7:44pm
Congrats on the new camera. First shots look great! Agree with Rick that you have all you need for a while. It's easy to become fixated on new gear but it's best to learn with what you have. Ignore internet posts like, "Why you should only use a 50mm prime lens". Those posts only encouraged me to buy lenses that I hardly use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark L
28-04-2020, 9:46pm
General comment on your photos since it's not a CC thread. Stick with aperture priority over full manual as you learn. The first of your photos here also suggest to learn about ETTR.

GorgeWalker
29-04-2020, 9:41am
General comment on your photos since it's not a CC thread. Stick with aperture priority over full manual as you learn. The first of your photos here also suggest to learn about ETTR.

Thanks Mark. I used Aperture Priority taking those shots, but have been dabbling with manual.

I'm actually running through the learning material on this forum so may take a step back and enjoy the process. I will have a read about ETTR - seems like I will need to sit and have a good read, seemed complex!

To be honest - my biggest struggle at the moment is getting the camera to focus on where it needs to! Having a camera has opened my eyes and I spotted a scarlet robin on a walk I do pretty much every morning, having never noticed one before. All I have is a blurry picture of that brilliant colour as the camera kept wanting to focus on the tree branches around the bird! :confused013

Cheers!

ameerat42
29-04-2020, 10:11am
^This sounds like something that needs to be looked into.

You can make another post below in this (NTP forum while you're still a new member
(and after that in the Photoggraphic Help and Advice forum). Attach a picture to
show the unwanted results. And (as you have been doing) make sure to retain the
camera settings (retain Exif) and describe what you did in taking the photo.

- - - Updated - - -

OTOH, perhaps make a new thread in NTP.