PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Lens 70-200 F/2.8

livio
24-09-2019, 2:43pm
There are a few posts in about similar subjects, while on Holidays the backpack where I had my camera and lenses was dropped. It caused the lens cap to break the clear lens filter and mark slightly the lens itself. Everything else seems to be working the focus is a quick as ever but there is a small spot on the front lens that will have been caused by glass on glass. I was hoping for some advice on whether to simply scrap the lens and just go and buy a new one or is it possible to re-polish or replace the front glass that would be the main lens. Or do I just use it as it is?

Kind Regards
Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Lens is a Nikon 70-200 F/2,8 great wedding lens

ameerat42
24-09-2019, 3:00pm
How noticeable is it in pics? It will become more so as you stop down the aperture.
It could also cause light to reflect into the lens. If not noticeable, use it as is as far
as possible. Sometimes, a well-placed small black dab of [something] over the mark
can help.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, forget polishing it, as you'll likely change the figure of the lens, and at
least remove the coating nearby.

swifty
24-09-2019, 5:37pm
You'd be surprised how little blemishes and scratches on the lens, especially on the front element affects the image quality. Most of the time it'd be very difficult to spot any flaws at all.
What I would be a bit more concerned about is whether there are any alignment issues as the knock may have decentred the lens a little.
Do some testing and if the image quality and focus are still good, you should be fine. If not, then it may needs a service.
I definitely wouldn't be thinking about scrapping it at this stage.

Boo53
24-09-2019, 9:35pm
I've had a small scratch on the front element of my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for some time. Its the first version and a Sony Amount so repairing isn't something I've considered but if it was the newer E mount I'd probably not repair it as the replacement would be more cost effective. I'm yet to see a shot where I notice the blemish and I use it a fair bit.

If it was my 100-400 GM lens the repair/replace issue would probably be the other way because the lens is so much more expensive.

Not sure which brand of lens yours is but hope that helps

nardes
25-09-2019, 6:27am
Sorry the hear that unwelcome news and hmm, such a difficult decision.

If I were using the lens for paid work or work that required 100% confidence in equipment reliability then I would probably replace it, funds permitting.

If the mark is quite small, and the mechanical violence of the drop wasn't like a direct hit on a concrete floor, I would continue to use the lens but test it under extreme light flare conditions to see if there was any unwanted IQ degradation.

Good luck!

Dennis

Tannin
25-09-2019, 8:51am
Swifty is spot on. Your worry is limited to focus and alignment. (And these are probably OK because that lens - if it's anything like the Canon ones and I bet it is - will be built like a tank. Very tough.)

A mark on the front element makes no practical difference at all. See this: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches/

(Marks on the rear element are serious stuff. Thankfully, these are very rare.)

blkmcs
25-09-2019, 10:50am
This article from Lens Rentals might show you what to expect from a scratched lens.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches/

Mike

livio
25-09-2019, 4:59pm
Thanks Dennis, very unwelcome, dropped the case it was in and the lens cap broke the filter, I did not realise that for a number of days it broke my heart. I will just go with it for now should be okay everything else works fine
if it really starts to behave badly I will replace it. Prices vary anywhere for 1.5K to 3K for a replacement. I'll keep a look out :(

Kind Regards
Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Mike, I read the blog and it gives me some more hope, I will be continuing to use it just as before but I will also be doing some heavy testing of the lens
to see if there is any visible impact. If it still looks good then I will keep it and keep shooting. If not I might look for a replacement. I can always use this as a roughie
when I know Im going to be in a harsh environment.

Kind Regards
Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Tony, I have been using it since it was dropped and I was not able to see anything really visible so I might have dodged a bullet. Still it is the first time I have ever dropped a lens and I hope it will be the last.

Kind Regards
Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Boss, good advice on the dropped lens, I will have a real good look at image quality I has not shown any real problem as yet
I will do dome serious testing with grid and diffraction tests to see if it visible. I might be worried over nothing first time I ever dropped a lens
and I hope it will be the last

Kind Regards
Livio

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks swifty, I have used it since and it looks okay but I do need to do some more testing to check for focus, alignment etc. If it starts showing up in photos I will
have a much closer look at replacing it. They seem to have gone up in price I don't remember having to fork out nearly 3K a big amount.

Kind Regards
Livio

arthurking83
25-09-2019, 7:01pm
I'm sure the marks on the front lens shouldn't affect IQ unless you're shooting into light sources. Any front source light, doesn't necessarily have to be direct light either.
So if you use the lens hood, you should be OK.

As for replace/fix.
Depending on which version of the Nikon 70-200/2.8 you got, I remember they're easily replaceable.
Could possibly do it yourself.
I think they're more of a meniscus lens .. which in effect is more of a protective lens, rather than a massively expensive important optical piece.

~$200 ish or thereabouts for the actual glass(but that was many years ago, for the first model). No idea how much labour they charge either.