PDA

View Full Version : Web gallery suggestions

davesmith
15-08-2008, 9:09am
I'm in the middle of redesigning my website into something a lot simpler and easier to manage, but this time from scratch rather than using a generic template. I currently use coppermine which is basically full-on gallery software but I'm after something simple as well that I can drop in an existing page I've designed. It's only going to hold a relatively small number of images so I won't need to split into separate galleries, categories etc - just thumbnails, description and main image.

From the screen dump below, I'll have some free text to the left, then what I'm after is something that will fill the areas I've highlighted with the red boxes. Basically I want to 1) fill the "column" in the middle with a scroll-able box of thumbnails and 2) at the bottom I'd like to include a caption/description with ability to include html capability/links etc. The main image is obviously shown as is.

Any suggestions on existing gallery software or code where I could just "drop" it into that space. Even if I rebuild a page around the gallery itself that's fine. I just don't need the full capabilities of software like coppermine here, plus I don't know coppermine well enough to redesign it into what I want (and it doesn't allow html in the description anyway). Trying to keep it minimal and simple, so hopefully there's something equally minimal and simple to use (which, I know, is probably wishful thinking).

Any suggestions/advice welcomed.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/davesmithphotography/gallery.jpg

mercho
15-08-2008, 11:35pm
Hey Dave, Not too sure if this is exactly what your after but i use a program on my site called simple viewer, its very customizabe and can be found here (http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/)

They also have another one called "postcard viewer" which may also work...

The only thing is they may require a bit of modification to fit in the column space...

feral1
16-08-2008, 9:42pm
Hey Dave, Not too sure if this is exactly what your after but i use a program on my site called simple viewer, its very customizabe and can be found here (http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/)

They also have another one called "postcard viewer" which may also work...

The only thing is they may require a bit of modification to fit in the column space...

I have not seen this programs coding etc. I had a quick look at it online. I think with a bit of tweeking you should beable to make it work how davesmith needs it. Plus it maybe what you may want to do at a later date.

Peter

davesmith
18-08-2008, 9:12am
Thanks for that. Looks like this could be exactly what I'm after. Shame they don't do a demo of the pro version though. The free version is a pretty good indicator but it would be nice to see just how flexible it is for customising before buying it.

mercho
18-08-2008, 12:47pm
Thanks for that. Looks like this could be exactly what I'm after. Shame they don't do a demo of the pro version though. The free version is a pretty good indicator but it would be nice to see just how flexible it is for customising before buying it.

yeah i was thinking about that as well.. If you end up getting the pro version let me know how you go, i almost upgraded, but instead i just worked the free version into my page :)

davesmith
18-08-2008, 3:07pm
Yeah I might even redesign my page a bit to accomodate it. The free version does look good and still alows for a fair bit of modifcation, particularly for captions.

It's purely the location of the caption/description that's got me. The free version allows the html I wanted but from reading up on it over the weekend it seems if I want to move the caption where I want it, I'll need the pro version.

I know some might say "it's only $40" somethng but a proper demo would be nice. I might just bite the bullet and have a go at it. At least if it doesn't work out I can let everyone here know hey.

mercho
18-08-2008, 4:21pm
Yeah I might even redesign my page a bit to accomodate it. The free version does look good and still alows for a fair bit of modifcation, particularly for captions.

It's purely the location of the caption/description that's got me. The free version allows the html I wanted but from reading up on it over the weekend it seems if I want to move the caption where I want it, I'll need the pro version.

I know some might say "it's only $40" somethng but a proper demo would be nice. I might just bite the bullet and have a go at it. At least if it doesn't work out I can let everyone here know hey.

i won't say no to that lol... That is one thing that really really annoyed me, was not being able to move the captions... For that matter i couldn't even do much with them at all.. So if the Pro version allows you to do that it might be worth it..

In saying that my page is nothing special and is more of a "hobby" page at this point, so i might leave it for a while... Keep us informed of how you go Dave..

parkesy
19-08-2008, 9:43am
that one u have thier dave smith is still very nice

Dylfish
28-01-2009, 10:48am
Hey, who here has photo galleries on their webpage? does anybody have software they can recomend to me to create a web gallery on my webspace?

Dave, just looked at your website and one of my mates i used to play cricket (grant johnson) is in your v8 utes gallery. spun me out when i saw it :)

tannyboy
30-01-2009, 9:37am
I've had a play with a few photo galleries for the web and i'm happy with (and use) Zenphoto.

http://www.zenphoto.org/

its simple, clean and pretty customisable if you want to play with the templates.

kiwi
30-01-2009, 9:43am
Hey, who here has photo galleries on their webpage? does anybody have software they can recomend to me to create a web gallery on my webspace?

Dave, just looked at your website and one of my mates i used to play cricket (grant johnson) is in your v8 utes gallery. spun me out when i saw it :)

I use Gallery2, you can check it out at www.peakactionimages.com

davesmith
30-01-2009, 9:52am

I ended up using the Gallery2 album software on my site for my full gallery archives. Previously I'd used Coppermine but have found the Gallery2 software so much easier to work with. For the main slideshow page I considered the jalbum software, and a couple of others, but in the end avoided using flash and went for a simple slideshow written in javascript.

Mate, if the utes have scheduled practice sessions you should offer to take a few photos and see if he'll take you for a spin.

Dylfish
30-01-2009, 12:39pm
yeah, unfortunatly i changed cricket clubs so its very few and far between from when i see him, might drop him a line and see when he does practices. as for teh drive, ive got a aerobatic flight tomorrow so i think im good for the adrenline for now :)