PDA

View Full Version : Huawei on the way

landyvlad
19-07-2019, 11:07am
Finally decided to update my old Samsung Note5 phone (battery is gying wawy tooquickly) and am gettig a Huawei Mate 20 Pro as a replacement.

Photography considerations certainly weren't my reason for choosing the phone, but it seems the Mate 20 Pro camera setup has some potential. I'll certainly be having a play with it and see what i can achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhY7MVOe2Y

As a side-note the camera on this is a "Leica". The camera on the DJI Masvic2 is a "Hasselblad".
Seems there's money to be made by the owners of those trademarks to attach them to such things...
Remember when those names actually MEANT something !? :nod:

Tannin
19-07-2019, 7:31pm
I'm not familiar with the particular model (Mate 20 Pro) but my Huawei Y7 has amazing battery life - seven days between recharges, no problem at all. I have friends with other phones who battle to get through a single day without sucking juice.

landyvlad
20-07-2019, 10:49am
This is a 2018 model with fancy oled screen and all that but juice is still 1.5-2 days which as you say is better than the competition!

WIll make a change from my old Note5 which has deteriorated to about 4 hours of battery life......

ameerat42
20-07-2019, 11:59am
As for its video capabilities, I thought this
Video 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS), 720p@960fps
was mind b:crzy:ggling! - It's stuff you'd get at black h:eek:les!

Info from here: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_pro-9343.php

My humble idea was merely this one (https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_7_pro-9521.php), $300 from India.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that apart from the (your/mine) 256/128GB on-board memory, you either have a
second SIM (my purpose), or a separate memory card in the second slot, for both models.
(OK, livable with.)

landyvlad
26-09-2019, 8:30am
Better late than never...

Yeah mine is dual sim.

arthurking83
27-09-2019, 7:07am
Still have my old Mate 9.
Dreadful thing that it is.
Battery OK .. just regular as any other phone. Works good for a year or two then slowly starts top lose capacity.
Why I hated the Mate 9 tho .. it's bluetooth is all but useless.
I think I had it 6 months then started at a new job. All the trucks were modern units with bluetooth connectivity, and to stay safe always used phone connected to bluetooth for handsfree.
Mate 9 may or may not have connected .. basically as it saw fit too.
Tried a few bluetooth apps to help .. no luck. Just very flaky.

Ended up getting a cheap LG large phone .. no problem connecting via bluetooth :th3:
Used this one for the time I worked there, just over 4 years ... battery life was good up until late last year when it finally kicked the bucket.
All day use was achievable with a few % remaining.
Battery was replaced .. very badly swollen too! :eek: .. $30 later .. all good again.

Now got a S8+ .. rarely use it, but with heavy use I get 2 days out of it's battery.

ameerat42
27-09-2019, 7:18am
Still have my old Mate 9.
Dreadful thing that it is.
Battery OK .. just regular as any other phone. Works good for a year or two then slowly starts top lose capacity.
Why I hated the Mate 9 tho .. it's bluetooth is all but useless. ...

Forget the phone:rolleyes: - What a marketing success! :D :rolleyes::rolleyes:

arthurking83
27-09-2019, 8:07am
Forget the phone:rolleyes: - What a marketing success! :D :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was???

:confused013

I don't do marketing.
I just found it cheap as chips and huge(6").
Thought .. could be useful.
In a way it was(the large screen), but like I said it's Bt was too flaky to be useful for every day life.

Strangely tho, soon after I got the phone, I also got a Huawei bluetooth earpeice/watch.
It's a Bt earpiece headphone (important for handsfree driving), but instead of it being in your pocket when not in use, it clicks into a wristband and has a screen to act as a watch.
So 1/. it doesn't fall out of your pocket when you're working! .. and 2/. you don't have to wear it all day for fear of losing it.

Great idea actually, just it's sound quality was very lacking.
But it connected very securely and solidly via Bt to the Mate 9 .. no problemo.

Best phone(in terms of battery) ... Galaxy S5. :th3:
Unbeatable combo.
My LG(K520) is still good too.
If it weren't for USB-C and Qi charging .. I'd still be using the S5.
S5 is Qi compatible, and I have a few pads for it. But being compatible and actually working are not exactly mutually inclusive propositions.

ameerat42
27-09-2019, 8:10am

Best phone(in terms of battery) ... Galaxy S5. :th3:
Unbeatable combo.

I agree. Mine is a hand-me-up from an in-law who is rather fond of updating :D