PDA

View Full Version : Wedding photographer placement

st87
20-05-2019, 3:57am
Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted. Just delivered a huge project at work and also handed in my resignation in preparation for a new opportunity.
Busy times ahead.

Anyway, kind of nervous that I may potentially have my first opportunity shooting a wedding in November.

A few things I need to work on myself and be mindful of, namely that I lack personal confidence and I am generally very withdrawn (typical engineers). I might shy away from the action and eek my way back into the crowd, or worse, shoot from where I sit.
No, that is definitely not what I want to do - I want to make the shots.

On the flip side, I don't want to overcompensate and end up being too in-your-face and causing all kinds of disruptions to a wedding and ruin the day either.

So without further ado, I have a few questions for the experienced wedding photographers (if you would be so inclined to share your treasure :)):

1. FIRST and biggest question of all: AM I ALLOWED ON THE AISLE?
2. Where do you position yourselves throughout the wedding ceremony, from march-in to march-out?
3. I believe my venue will be an outdoor setting. I need to anticipate that there will be limited cover to travel behind. My goal is to get all the nice shots without being an element of distraction. What are the things that I can do to be less eye-catching to the people?
4. What is appropriate attire for a wedding photographer?

Thanks. As for point 3, the obvious solution that I can think of would be to get a second shooter. However, that's not quite possible. The wedding is in New Zealand, and even I'm not getting paid for this. I'm technically a wedding guest but was politely asked to bring my camera along "just in case". So if anything, this is just a gig I agreed to do for free for my wife's mates who are on a tight budget.

Anyway, thanks in advance for sharing your insights!

-- Shaun

ameerat42
20-05-2019, 5:41am
Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted. Just delivered a huge project at work and also handed in my resignation in preparation for a new opportunity.
Busy times ahead.

Anyway, kind of nervous that I may potentially have my first opportunity shooting a wedding in November.

A few things I need to work on myself and be mindful of, namely that I lack personal confidence and I am generally very withdrawn (typical engineers). I might shy away from the action and eek my way back into the crowd, or worse, shoot from where I sit.
No, that is definitely not what I want to do - I want to make the shots.

On the flip side, I don't want to overcompensate and end up being too in-your-face and causing all kinds of disruptions to a wedding and ruin the day either.

So without further ado, I have a few questions for the experienced wedding photographers (if you would be so inclined to share your treasure :)):

1. FIRST and biggest question of all: AM I ALLOWED ON THE AISLE?
2. Where do you position yourselves throughout the wedding ceremony, from march-in to march-out?
3. I believe my venue will be an outdoor setting. I need to anticipate that there will be limited cover to travel behind. My goal is to get all the nice shots without being an element of distraction. What are the things that I can do to be less eye-catching to the people?
4. What is appropriate attire for a wedding photographer?

Thanks. As for point 3, the obvious solution that I can think of would be to get a second shooter. However, that's not quite possible. The wedding is in New Zealand, and even I'm not getting paid for this. I'm technically a wedding guest but was politely asked to bring my camera along "just in case". So if anything, this is just a gig I agreed to do for free for my wife's mates who are on a tight budget.

Anyway, thanks in advance for sharing your insights!

-- Shaun

Hi Shaun! - A lot is afoot for you, but if you think you can, you should be able to do it.

A question: Am I allowed to answer you, given that I am not a professional wedding photographer but have been an
assistant (with specific responsibilities) to one in the distant past?

Another Q: Will you be the ONLY OFFICIAL photographer and not an assistant and will not have an assistant?

Assuming "Yes", then a few preliminary points:
- You will be responsible for running the show photographically - ie, making the wedding work photographically!
- Consult with the wedding party (WP) - including the minister/celebrant - as to what they want and expect from you, then plan
how you will have to deliver it. NB: You should be prepared to brook no interference from tablet-wielding well-wishers who will
plant themselves in front of you and block your shot. This is a point you should iron out with the WP. The Master-of-Ceremonies
should make some such announcement to the guests and stress the point.
- You will probably (I mean, I expect you will) be more photographer than guest, but see what they (WP) say. But, if it's a choice
between scoffing dessert or getting a shot, the former will have to be by proxy. (I say "will" instead of "may" because of what I have
seen/done as official, non-guest photographers.)
- And, the show can't stop if your photography does. You have to go with it.

Answers to your Qs:
Q1: Unless forbidden to do so by the minister/celebrant, then MOST certainly you can, but work inside his/her limits.
Q2: Wherever it is opportune to get the shot you have planned to get (in consultation with WP, etc and as for Q1).
Q3: Do your job and don't worry about what others may feel/think within the normal limits of behaviour. You have to be
ON TOP OF IT all the time, and cannot be distracted by worrying about others who are not in your role.
Q4: Dress as the other guests do, ie, formal/semi-formal/smart casual/shots-and-thongs..., but carry a camera bag with
your essential equipment.

Q5 BONUS: Keep an eye on your gear. Curious kids, people with less savoury intentions..., etc.

Q6 BONUS: (While immersed in your function) DO NOT be distracted by photographic aficionados who will come up to you
and want to talk about your gear/what you're doing/doing wrong/what they (or their uncle) did last year.../.../...
Firmly but politely tell them you're busy and can't talk right now and you'd be happy to talk after.../.../...

Q7 BONUS: Have a spare camera body and spare memory cards (and anything else that's critical).

Disclaimer: All the above is given as what I consider to be basic for wedding (other such function) photography. You can
work out refinements/departures/changes/...

Good luck, and if you have the technical skill, you should be OK with the rest.

st87
20-05-2019, 5:49am
Gosh, Ameerat, of course your help is greatly appreciated! :D

Since you've been there and you know the operations, then I already consider you in the wedding photographer category regardless of your role.

Thank you for all your information. Guess it's some stuff I'll ask through my wife about what their expectations are and what my limits would be in terms of where I'm allowed to place myself.

And yeah from my understanding, it will be a simple, [very low] budget wedding, and I'll be 'it'.
Nothing too glamorous, so that would add to the challenge in getting something amazing from it.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

ricktas
20-05-2019, 6:04pm
Whether you are allowed in the Aisle or anywhere else in a church depends on the church and the minister. I have seen some great ministers letting the photographer go anywhere. I have also seen a minister say, no up on alter, no in the aisle and no flash.

So find out the venue and go and talk to the minister... well before the big day.

st87
20-05-2019, 10:58pm
Thanks Rick!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk