PDA

View Full Version : Lens protector reflection

Jaded62
27-04-2019, 3:58pm
Help please :)

New camera and lens so I'm relearning a few things.

5Ds, EF 16-35mm F4 L with a hood and lens protector. In this pic there's an arc (what's the technical term?) in the lower RH corner. The rising sun is to the far left. I assume the arc has occurred because of some refraction (?) caused by the lens protector.

My previous setup was a 7D with an EFS 10-22. I never had this issue but then I didn't use the protector as I often would fit a Lee filter holder.

Please enlighten me.........

https://bn1305files.storage.live.com/y4pSvCWfi6TCxrZOwGLh7MPsvbsdoTTsmKPlM-5wiwCC1JIbapIjVai1yyZSjnuvrXKuKR8HDM-7a8gYS27QnargEA6guahACQE7fBxXDUQ4tOF9Q2R7mbVd6i_D6pl3pJ2IfK7sYFa7X76r25a0J2VKZPHtgu9X6Q5zvBTlOrDGJEFWvsy98YHVAEWz9hEfwo8?psid=2&width=1310&height=876

Brian500au
27-04-2019, 5:39pm
I am not sure what you are referring to as there is no pic showing but why not take the filter off and try the shot again. If you cannot recreate the scene again maybe just run without the filter for a while and see if the problem does appear. There are always polarising opinions when adding filters - and personally myself I have moved away from them due to unexpected results.

Tannin
27-04-2019, 6:14pm
Like Kel, I can't see the example picture, but rule-of-thumb, clear filters are never entirely to be trusted. I certainly wouldn't fancy using one with such a high resolution body. They add reflections, reduce contrast, and (especially with cheap ones) do weird and horrible things to the optics. Take it off and just take care not to bash the lens against things. The only time I consider clear filters is for really severe conditions like heavy salt spray or a dust storm.

ameerat42
27-04-2019, 6:16pm
Mark. I had a look at the image code you tried to link to. I cannot find any image file marker at all.
In previous posts you linked correctly from Flickr, while this one looks like your own site.

Try to find the BB Code for your image and post that between the [IMG] tags.

Else, good advice from Kel ^.

Jaded62
28-04-2019, 6:24am
Outsmarted myself.

I got the irates with Flickr and closed my account. Yet to settle on an alternative hosting site.

I think I should be able to post images from my OneDrive public folder. Can anyone see the pic now?

https://bn1305files.storage.live.com/y4pJO9oA8bUDrqM6RyYpOirSjPYVcGUYF7WF3drxzUKz_yEzKt8QZhsWKp3rxANvlnseDVdW9BtCd7atODLHqaIlgpTjMyVEIadoS_QRWFGM2qzCjvv-g51ZQO8bcpsp2Hx1Gf5PkOmsvyAuSm8g4hMlPDMZB2D1ClRI5a_KvfJO8G5KL5LV7UChFZJlB6-S9uH/093A0137.jpg?psid=1&width=1310&height=876

ameerat42
28-04-2019, 6:42am
Yes, I see it now. You've managed to link from OneDrive (old Live View)! I haven't been able to
do so for ages. Maybe time to check again.

The pic: I see the two reflection. It is a common thing in wide angle views. It could be coming from
any of the elements in the lens or on the holder.

If nothing else, try to simulate these conditions with a light source in the position of the sun shown
here. Take a number of shots (using the same aperture) with the filter hold attached and with it off.

Note: if you have such a light source in dark conditions you might be able to get a brighter, clearer
image of the reflections.

Jaded62
28-04-2019, 7:06am
Yes, I see it now. You've managed to link from OneDrive (old Live View)! I haven't been able to
do so for ages. Maybe time to check again.

Thanks for the comments on the pic. The issue with OneDrive was that I didn't have the pic in the Public folder.

ameerat42
28-04-2019, 7:53am
Bit of an aside about OneDrive: Maybe they've fixed things up since I last tried about a year ago.
NO WAY could I link to a pic and display it here for more than an hour or so. There were lots of
complaints about it back then in their talk forum. Before all that it was great. Will look again.
(I even got desperate and opened a Flickr account, but it is ARCANELY difficult to use!:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Tannin
28-04-2019, 8:39am
It is flare. All lenses have at least a little flare. The 16-35/4 is very good, but any picture with the sun in it is a big ask for any lens, even bare. Add a clear filter and you are always going to get flare. (It adds more glass and two extra reflective surfaces, in most cases neither of them coated as well as the actual lens surfaces are.)

arthurking83
29-04-2019, 10:19am
Like Tony said, it is flare, and is common when a strong light source is in the frame, or even just slightly out of it too.
Definitely some lens flare there, that is flare from the lens, irrespective of the fact that a filter was also on the lens.
The major obvious flare from the lens is the aperture shaped spot high up near the LH corner.
Obviously 9 bladed aperture and lens stopped down a little, so the rendering of the reflected aperture opening is more concentrated.
Side note: if you had the lens set wide open, that aperture flare would NOT have been as obviously rendered in the image. Not totally removed, and would have been rendered much larger, and loked more like straight out lower contrast rendering in that corner.

The rainbow coloured circular ring lower right corner is most likely(but not certainly!) from the edge of the front lens element.
The very edge of the front lens element does this .. kind'a like a chromatic aberration(CA) anomaly.
Hard to say if the use of a filter had any part in it being captured .. again some lenses do this more than others .. filter can add to the effect.

So, what could have easily occurred(as a hypothesis) is that the blurred fuzzier rainbow like flare down low in the frame, could have been the lens itself. The sharper more defined arc could have been a reflection on the inside of the filter ... or other way around.