PDA

View Full Version : Drone (over 250g) users will have to be registered with CASA from 01/07/2019

ricktas
27-03-2019, 7:59am
Australia's aviation safety authority will establish a "flyer's licence" and mandatory registration for drones from July this year, coinciding with a world-first drone food delivery business to be run out of Canberra.
Key points:

Drone flyer data will be kept in a database to track users
Those with drones of more than 250g will have to pass an online education course
A drone delivery service is set to begin operation in Canberra once CASA approves it

For the first time, anyone in Australia who wants to fly a drone (over 250g) will have to be accredited by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-27/drone-licences-to-be-issued-ahead-of-canberra-delivery-service/10943284

CASA is also working on a real time network that can track drones in the same manner that aircraft are tracked.

ameerat42
27-03-2019, 8:30am
From Canberra?:eek: - Gosh, it'll be cold by the time it gets here!:eek:

agb
27-03-2019, 6:16pm
Or hot in summer.

ricktas
27-03-2019, 6:45pm
From Canberra?:eek: - Gosh, it'll be cold by the time it gets here!:eek:

maybe the trial is where they thought was the best place to implement food poisoning. :lol:

kevin301
20-06-2019, 6:06pm
oh gosh. So that rules out me (as a tourist) bringing my drone over for some holiday footage :Doh:

ameerat42
20-06-2019, 6:18pm
oh gosh. So that rules out me (as a tourist) bringing my drone over for some holiday footage :Doh:

Maybe not. In the link Rick posted there is no mention of any specific exclusions, like tourists.
I'd say have a look at CASA's site and see if you can find anything. You may be able to do some
on-line preparation/registration and still bring it.

kevin301
20-06-2019, 9:14pm
Maybe not. In the link Rick posted there is no mention of any specific exclusions, like tourists.
I'd say have a look at CASA's site and see if you can find anything. You may be able to do some
on-line preparation/registration and still bring it.

OK :) I guess the maps look more restrictive than they actually are.
Probably common sense needs to apply :)

Saph
22-06-2019, 2:15pm
Possible unpopular opinion but i support this for the only fact of tracking them since someone in my street or near me has one and keeps flying it into my yard and just above my head when im out walking so if i can track its owner i can both get the cops onto them and have them fined for breaching laws since you must keep it 30 meters away from people not buzzing their heads.

The rules straight from casa's site

The rules

You must not fly your drone higher than 120 metres (400 ft) above the ground.
You must not fly your drone over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval). This could include situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue operations.
You must not fly your drone within 30 metres of people, unless the other person is part of controlling or navigating the drone.
You must fly only one drone at a time.
If your drone weighs more than 100 grams:

You must keep your drone at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes (usually those with a control tower)
You may fly within 5.5km of a non-controlled aerodrome or helicopter landing site (HLS) only if manned aircraft are not operating to or from the aerodrome. If you become aware of manned aircraft operating to or from the aerodrome/ HLS, you must manoeuvre away from the aircraft and land as soon as safely possible. This includes:

not operating your drone within the airfield boundary (*without approval)
not operating your drone in the approach and departure paths of the aerodrome (*without approval)

You must only fly during the day and keep your drone within visual line-of sight.

This means being able to orientate, navigate and see the aircraft with your own eyes at all times (rather than through a device; for example, through goggles or on a video screen).

You must not fly over or above people. This could include festivals, sporting ovals, populated beaches, parks, busy roads and footpaths.
You must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person, or property
You must not operate your drone in prohibited or restricted areas.

ameerat42
22-06-2019, 2:36pm
...since someone in my street or near me has one and keeps flying it into my yard and just above my head when im out walking so if i can track its owner i can both get the cops onto them and have them fined for breaching laws since you must keep it 30 meters away from people not buzzing their heads...

- And invading the privacy of your yard...

So, have you been able to get some shots/video footage of these miscreant actions, sufficient for ID of the craft, or just the fact itself,
that you might be able to present to the police in the meantime?

Saph
23-06-2019, 4:59am
- And invading the privacy of your yard...

So, have you been able to get some shots/video footage of these miscreant actions, sufficient for ID of the craft, or just the fact itself,
that you might be able to present to the police in the meantime?

Sadly this was a while ago but i do know it was one of those dji phantoms or what ever they are called.