PDA

View Full Version : I got an OM-!MD for Christmas (Sort of)

Ross M
29-12-2018, 4:13pm
OK, so I did not get an actual vintage Olympus OM-1MD camera. I am being cheeky using this category of post.

My wife was very excited leading up to Christmas, telling me that she was looking forward to giving me a really cool present. It is in fact cool and unusual. It is a framed technical/engineering pencil drawing of an old Olympus SLR. I assume it would be a school project. My wife frequents Op shops and garage sales and very much enjoys picking up ephemera, let me call it.

Many years ago when I was in high school I did subjects called "Technical Drawing" and "industrial Arts", which in later lifetimes would have been called Engineering Science or "Technical and Applied Studies" or Design something-or-other. So there is further relevance in that I did vaguely similar drawings in both pencil and ink. For the youngsters out there, this was before Computer Aided Drawing was around.

Also, by now most onlookers will have seen the drawing creator's name in the title block. I seriously doubt that this particular Mark is either Tubby or a cricketer. The timeline certainly does not match!

Whoo-hoo I sort of got new gear!

Dan05
29-12-2018, 4:20pm
Wow very nice. Love the blueprint look of it. Very talented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bianca
29-12-2018, 6:07pm
That is very cool :)

John King
29-12-2018, 6:50pm
Wonderful, Ross.

I still have OM1, OM1n and OM10. Beautiful cameras.

Wishing you and yours a safe and happy new year.

ameerat42
29-12-2018, 7:33pm
Hmm! It looks good on paper...:p

Glenda
30-12-2018, 7:48am
What a lovely and original present.

Gazza
30-12-2018, 7:59am
Very unique and how wonderful is that logo?

Mary Anne
30-12-2018, 8:52am
Interesting.
And 10/10 to your Wife too :2encou:

fillum
30-12-2018, 10:56pm
Nice. Always good to get a gift that's interesting and unique. I assume you've pulled out the drafting pencils to draw some expensive jewellery for the wife's next birthday ? :D

The OM cameras were such a great piece of design. Curious that the shutter speed dial on the lens mount wasn't more widely adopted - seemed to be quite an intuitive place for it, so you could set aperture and s/s and focus with the one hand. Also intersting that these 'full frame' SLRs are the same size as my APS-C Fuji X-E2 which is considered small these days.

My first camera was an OM-10 (which coincidentally I used today - although it took around six months to shoot a roll of 24).

Cheers.

Ross M
30-12-2018, 11:21pm
Wow very nice. Love the blueprint look of it. Very talented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, Mr. Taylor showed some talent on this one.

- - - Updated - - -

That is very cool :)

I assured my wife that I thought this was very cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonderful, Ross.

I still have OM1, OM1n and OM10. Beautiful cameras.

Wishing you and yours a safe and happy new year.

Thanks. A great new year to you too. Sadly, I ended up with a Fujica AX-3 in the 80's. The second catastrophic failure saw it moth-balled and my photographic hobby curtailed for 13 years.

I looked up some retrospective opinions of the OM-1 series and noted that it remains highly regarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm! It looks good on paper...:p

Ha Ha! I wish I had said that!

- - - Updated - - -

What a lovely and original present.

It is. My wife is the best present chooser.

- - - Updated - - -

Very unique and how wonderful is that logo?

Yes, that logo is great. Technical drawing doesn't call for much artistic flair, but the logo shows that side of the creator.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting.
And 10/10 to your Wife too :2encou:

Agreed. I passed on your score to my wife and she laughed appreciatively.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. Always good to get a gift that's interesting and unique. I assume you've pulled out the drafting pencils to draw some expensive jewellery for the wife's next birthday ? :D

The OM cameras were such a great piece of design. Curious that the shutter speed dial on the lens mount wasn't more widely adopted - seemed to be quite an intuitive place for it, so you could set aperture and s/s and focus with the one hand. Also intersting that these 'full frame' SLRs are the same size as my APS-C Fuji X-E2 which is considered small these days.

My first camera was an OM-10 (which coincidentally I used today - although it took around six months to shoot a roll of 24).

Cheers.

This present is the epitome of the phrase "it's the thought that counts".

A couple of my friends had OM-10's. When I used them, I realised that a weak point of my Fujica was a relatively small viewfinder.

When I put my defunct Fujica SLR against my Nikon D5100, it occurred to me that in terms of size, the technology was going backwards.

Somewhere I still have some old school drafting gear stashed away I think. No drawing board or T square, though. I might have to do some free-hand work, as your suggestion is a good one, whether or not I buy jewelry for her. I do photograph quite a few of the decorative and collectible gifts that my wife receives.