PDA

View Full Version : Olympus STF 8 twinflash

martycon
17-12-2018, 8:17pm
I have tried a "tent" diffuser illuminated from above the tent. this was cut from a 2 ltr milk bottle, and it was very effective, but too much so for some insects, resulting in a flat top lit effect.
Has anyone found/made a separate diffuser, for each flash unit. I understand that the diffuser material needs to be at least 30 t0 50mm from the flash unit.
On the net I have seen a huge variety of alternatives for larger more conventional flash units, but the compact nature of the STF 8 seems to make those that I have seen impractical.

Mary Anne
18-12-2018, 11:42am
I have tried a few things also for my Canon twinlite flash Marty.
Over the top of each light I have a Sto-fen omni bounce then on top of that one a Gary Fong Puffer blu-tacked to each side of each one.
Even that is not good enough at times not sure if they would fit your flashes either.
Sometimes I find it better to take a wide LED torch with me and use that, what I should have done was got the flashes on to a off camera flash bracket.
I have tried many things over the years most I made myself after all necessity is the Mother of invention :D

Have you seen this one, if not it takes ages to download on ADSL 2 https://www.nickybay.com/2017/06/olympus-stf-8-macro-twin-flash-review.html

I use a Olympus FL-600r Flash when shooting macro on the E-M1 so sorry cannot help with this.

martycon
18-12-2018, 8:01pm
Thanks Mary Anne, I will check out the Sto fen and GF Puffer, and look at the nickybay link.
We ar fortunate to have broad band which has sped up downloads'
regards marty

Mary Anne
23-12-2018, 12:06pm
Thanks Mary Anne, I will check out the Sto fen and GF Puffer, and look at the nickybay link.
We ar fortunate to have broad band which has sped up downloads'
regards marty

Marty these days you can buy similar ones on eBay for a very small price.