PDA

View Full Version : About Shooting RAW on Android Mobile Cams...

ameerat42
09-09-2018, 10:19pm
This thread is a continuation of a topic raised here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?158443-How-Dull-A-Tough-Call-for-Phone-Cam&p=1462411#post1462411) and continued for some posts in that thread,
but it's off-topic >to continue it< there.

- Briefly: you must have Camera 2 API factory installed. You cannot (short of re-flashing the ROM) get
it on a phone without it. Consequently so-called RAW camera apps WON'T work. You will either get a
message saying the app is not compatible with your phone or the RAW feature will not come up.

It's (the Camera 2 API) installed in "high-end" phones, like Galaxy S7, but not my S5:(

arthurking83
10-09-2018, 7:19am

It's (the Camera 2 API) installed in "high-end" phones, like Galaxy S7, but not my S5:(

Don't confuse 'high end', with age related abandonment!

S5 was introduced in a time where Android 4 ruled the world(4.4.4 or something like that).
So it's lack of RAW capture is merely due to it being neglected now.
Their S6 initially didn't come out with raw capture ability, but Samsung updated it's software(ie. driver) and allowed the API to do it's thing.

There are 'low end' (maybe better called 'mid range')phones that are capable of DNG capture.
I'm pretty sure some of those cheap Chinese brands like Xaomi Huawei Oppo Oneplus have it enabled in some of their phones too.

ricktas
10-09-2018, 7:28am
Some phones offer raw within the camera settings. Most recent Samsung phones have this option within the image size selection screen.

It allows you to save in raw when you use the 'pro' mode of your phone camera. Pro mode generally is the same as manual mode. Letting you set ISO/Aperture/Shutter speed manually.

Geoff79
10-09-2018, 9:13am
I recently downloaded I think it was three different camera apps all claiming to shoot in RAW but my iPhone SE obviously doesn’t have what is required to allow this to happen. Shame, as it would be a really great thing considering the amount of shots I take with this thing.

ameerat42
10-09-2018, 9:23am
It seems there's a lot of hacking to do if the unit doesn't already support raw, and that the results aren't
always optimal/successful. (Been wading through heaps of it on-line:eek:)
:confused013

Glenda
11-09-2018, 6:56am
I have Lightroom mobile on my phone which enables DNG in pro mode. I thought you needed to own Lr but looking at this, maybe not.

Geoff79
11-09-2018, 7:54am
I have Lightroom mobile on my phone which enables DNG in pro mode. I thought you needed to own Lr but looking at this, maybe not.

Just downloading this right now. Will look in a sec, but can you take photos through the app? DNG, after conversion, is how all my photos end up anyway, before processing, so it’s technically more convenient than RAW for me.

ameerat42
11-09-2018, 8:01am
DNG is Adobe's raw format.

Geoff79
11-09-2018, 10:31am
DNG is Adobe's raw format.

So would I still need the about requirements you mentioned on my phone to actually get DNG images?

I’ve downloaded and taken two photos which are in my Lightroom library labelled at DNG files. Not sure how I’ll get them off my phone, and I’m highly skeptical that they will be DNG if/when I get them off the phone?

Perhaps they are DNG in the app only, on my phone, and I can process them in the app as a RAW photo... but I cannot take the photo from the phone as a RAW/DNG file? Only a processed jpeg?

arthurking83
11-09-2018, 10:43am
So would I still need the about requirements you mentioned on my phone to actually get DNG images?

I’ve downloaded and taken two photos which are in my Lightroom library labelled at DNG files. Not sure how I’ll get them off my phone, and I’m highly skeptical that they will be DNG if/when I get them off the phone?

Perhaps they are DNG in the app only, on my phone, and I can process them in the app as a RAW photo... but I cannot take the photo from the phone as a RAW/DNG file? Only a processed jpeg?

If you capture an image on the phone in pro mode and use the raw/jpg option, what you will easily see is just the jpg file.
The DNG file will be hidden in some obscure location as most files are on phones.
The location will depend on the phone brand/type.

And if you can locate the DNG file and transfer it to another device it will remain as a DNG file.

I'd say the best way to try to locate the DNG file, is to use the app and find out how to view the file's properties(long press or whatever).
In the properties it will give you a location ... something like abc\def\storageG\finlename.DNG or whatever.
Is your phone Android or iOS?

If Android, and you have a PC, have a look at MyPhoneExplorer as the best way to manage your phone via a PC. MPE doesn't work on any Apple products tho.

ameerat42
11-09-2018, 10:54am
Geoff. 1st, what is your phone brand and model?

In my reading over the last couple of days, I've found phones can store "the pictures" you take in
two different locations - the DNG in the phones internal memory and the jpeg on your SD card if it's
got one installed.

I know the locations for Android OS, but for iOS...:confused013 Hence the Q above.

Once I have the answer, I can tell you how to hook up your phone to the computer so that
you can see both the internal memory and any SD card as separate drives attached.

- - - Updated - - -

PS.The discussion on DNG and RAW that was in the other thread is now in this thread

ameerat42
11-09-2018, 10:57am
Posts about DNG and RAW removed from the other thread mentioned and are in place above.

Geoff79
11-09-2018, 10:59am
Thanks for the replies, gents. I have an iPhone SE. I might be able to connect it up to my laptop in an hour or so and have a look to see if I can access the shots.

Geoff79
11-09-2018, 11:02am
Posts about DNG and RAW removed from the other thread mentioned and are in place above.

Whoops, sorry, I think I just put one more in there. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ameerat42
11-09-2018, 11:13am
It's OK: I just shifted it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Geoff. Short answer to your Q as to whether your phone can record raw (?possibly in DNG format) images:
- Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

In addition:
If you DO NOT have an SD card installed, then most likely your DNG and any associated jpegs will all be in the same place.
- (from my searching) wherever that may be :confused013

- - - Updated - - -

Yet another thing, Geoff...
On Android phones, you need to use "Debugging mode" to treat the storage locations as external drives.
I do not know the requirements for iOS. However, like Android, you should not need a special program
(like MyPhoneExplorer) just for pictures. That sort of thing is for accessing SMS, phone data, etc.

Geoff79
11-09-2018, 11:19am
Sorry Am, forgot to mention, no SD card in my phone. I’ll check it out shortly.

Glenda
12-09-2018, 6:34am
Thanks for the replies, gents. I have an iPhone SE. I might be able to connect it up to my laptop in an hour or so and have a look to see if I can access the shots.

I have mine set up to automatically sync photos from Lr mobile into Lr on my desktop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YucRML4aaLM

Geoff79
13-09-2018, 3:33pm
I have mine set up to automatically sync photos from Lr mobile into Lr on my desktop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YucRML4aaLM

Thanks Glenda. Unfortunately I don’t have Lightroom; still using CS6 and ACR.

I forgot my USB cable the other day when I was going to see if I could access the shots, and have since forgotten. Must revisit this tonight.