PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Terryw
07-08-2008, 2:41pm
I'm considering buying a laptop PC. I know that there have been threads on the topic on several occasions but I tried to search using the word "laptop" but could not find any obvious links. Is it just me or would it help to have a separate forum for hardware?

Anyway, I'm after advice that will help my selection. I don't want to use the laptop for major processing...mainly for wordprocessing, internet usage and viewing photos on location if needed. However I am wondering what software I should run on the laptop and therefore what Laptop specs I should look for. Any specific brand suggestions. In fact any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Terry

ricktas
07-08-2008, 2:54pm
My suggestion is to get the best you can afford. When I bought my laptop, thats what I did and i have never regretted it, but if you go for a cheap one and it can't do all you want, then you will either be upgrading soon or not using it much.

i would write down a list of things you want in your laptop.

How big hard-drive?
how much memory?
Wifi built in?
Bluetooth?

I have a HP Pavillion with dual core 2ghz / 2gb ram, 2 x 120gb hard drives / wifi and it is brilliant. Probably more features than I need. but at least it will last me several years before I think of upgrading

davesmith
07-08-2008, 2:57pm
I just picked up a new laptop myself. While the desktop will remain (it's basically now a server for an wireless network), the laptop is really a desktop replacement purely to run more power hungry apps (ie CS3).

A lot of your decision will come down to your budget. Any idea on what you want to spend?

brindyman
07-08-2008, 3:01pm
agree'd find a budget first.also once you know what you want.......dont buy retail, wholesale will save you alot more money and they always come with manufacturers warrentys :th3:

Terryw
07-08-2008, 3:06pm
Thanks guys, No Dave I haven't set a budget yet. It's not an urgent purchase. I guess I'm just trying to avoid buying for the short term.

Rick, do you run CS3 and Lightroom on yours?

What are your thoughts on Vista vs XP...I do like the look of Vista but is it likely to be buggy with photo software?

cheers

Terry

brindyman
07-08-2008, 3:22pm
get xp

less hardware problems more reliable and if you have only like 2 or 3 gigs ram then no need for vista

i run cs3 on mine but i have a some what gruntier system than what your after....i could have a look at a few places i requent if you want a idea on price?

davesmith
07-08-2008, 3:37pm
I've got more than enough power under the hood on this new baby as well. I'd been putting off processing so much, but CS3 is so quick now. Imagine running CS3 on a desktop with 512MB and then going to a 3GB machine. Awesome.

I was dreading Vista when I bought it too but I think so-called problems are blown a bit out of proportion. I've had no issues whatsoever and am enjoying using it. I think 64bit Vista is where problems may be cropping up. If you can get a new machine with XP probably go for it, but I think you'd want it to come with Vista install discs.

It still comes down to budget though. $ = performance, so what you plan on spending will have a bearing on what you plan doing with it (or vice versa).

m841
07-08-2008, 3:39pm
Go with Vista. XP will be EOL before vista, so you are better off future proofing yourself now

brindyman
07-08-2008, 3:45pm
I think 64bit Vista is where problems may be cropping up. .

that is correct......if you are going to go vista get the 32bit edition

you dont need 64 bit anyway unless your going quadcore and want more than 3.5 gigs of ram.....thats the reason why i went with 64bit....their slowly worken out the bugs. spose it can only get better

ricktas
07-08-2008, 3:54pm
Thanks guys, No Dave I haven't set a budget yet. It's not an urgent purchase. I guess I'm just trying to avoid buying for the short term.

Rick, do you run CS3 and Lightroom on yours?

What are your thoughts on Vista vs XP...I do like the look of Vista but is it likely to be buggy with photo software?

cheers

Terry

I run CS3 on it, but not lightroom. I do not do any serious photo editing on my laptop, preferring to use my desktop system for that. I have not used Vista (ever- not even played with it in a Store), both my laptop and desktop systems are vista compatible, but I have found no reason to upgrade from XP.

random
07-08-2008, 3:56pm
can u even find 64 bit vista on a notebook computer?

It seems like there are some great deal out there lately depending on exactly what you want. Take a look around something like www.dell.com.au to get an idea of the range available (specs vs price) and then once you find the right spot for you, compare with a few other shops (www.shopbot.com.au might be useful)

brindyman
07-08-2008, 4:29pm
I think 64bit Vista is where problems may be cropping up. .

that is correct......if you are going to go vista get the 32bit edition

you dont need 64 bit anyway unless your going quadcore and want more than 3.5 gigs of ram.....thats the reason why i went with 64bit....their slowly worken out the bugs. spose it can only get better

jev
07-08-2008, 4:33pm
can u even find 64 bit vista on a notebook computer?
Yes. My wife got it pre-installed on her Lenovo. It's no fun...

Myself, I run Vista on a Toshiba Satellite. Tried to install XP on it when I got it, but XP refused to install. So, I ended up reinstalling Vista on it as provided by Toshiba. It works, sort'of. When running on batteries, it often just shuts down for no apparent reason. Other than that, I do not think there's much difference between XP and Vista.

Anyway, if you want a notebook that's loaded with features, you should also consider a MacBook. Rock-solid, takes a little getting used to but once you have taken that hurdle it seems you never want to go back :action66:

Charmed
07-08-2008, 5:28pm
Got myself Toshiba A210/019, couple of days ago.
So far so good, touch wood, no problems with Vista, only prob Ive had is my pc card adapter but that was sorted out pretty quick.

Personally I would have loved the MacBook Pro but budget wasnt going to allow me to stretch that far.

MarkW
07-08-2008, 5:58pm
Why not toss windows all together and go Mac. I have been a windows user before PCs were fitted with a hard drive. I purchased my first mac about 3 months ago and I will never consider another PC with windows again. Currently I using a MacBook Pro laptop and an Asus PC tower system. When the Asus system starts to fail or get too slow, it to will be replaced with an equivalent Mac tower type system (not an iMac).

Yes they're expensive but you get that back by not having to use firewalls and spywear and virus protection so much so that they become cost neutral. By having a simplified system, ie where a program only has one file to install, it saves you a lot of stresstherefore your a winner.

I luv my Mac

Terryw
07-08-2008, 11:06pm
I do like the look of Macs but everywhere else I work is PC (my desktop at home where I will do most of my processing, work..all my friends and family) so that's really not an option.

And of course they're so darned expensive.

So, I'm thinking 13 or 14" might be more portable but is it possible to find any these days without the highly reflective screens?

What else do I need to consider? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Terry

brindyman
07-08-2008, 11:48pm
I do like the look of Macs but everywhere else I work is PC (my desktop at home where I will do most of my processing, work..all my friends and family) so that's really not an option.

And of course they're so darned expensive.

So, I'm thinking 13 or 14" might be more portable but is it possible to find any these days without the highly reflective screens?

What else do I need to consider? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Terry

does the laptop have memory slots.....quiet a few laptops now days come with SD CD slots on the side :D great if you have a fresh card in your camera and dont wanna swap them around. yes high gloss screens are a pain not all laptops have them....pays to research and find out some reviews once you know kinda what your after.

Laurie
03-03-2009, 9:28am
I'm reaching the point where I will need to replace my trusty 3 year old & much loved & reliable Asus laptop. Not happy but am fast running out of space and speed. I have checked out some of the earlier threads re selecting a model but my biggest problem is that virtually every system is still using high gloss screens. Is there anyone out there doing matte? Mac isn't an option, much as they seem to fit the bill in a lot of ways. Does anyone have any ideas on this please?

Kym
03-03-2009, 9:40am
Mod note: I moved your thread to this forum.

Small light vs performance - its a trade off.

I have an HP Compaq 8710w as my main work unit. It is actually a 'Mobile Workstation' as I do things technical (software etc). It has a 17" wide screen and is a heavy sucker. Not fun to lug on trips etc. But plenty of power for Adobe products.

I grabbed a work Toshiba Portage for my trip last week to Canberra - just email and browsing. Gutless, with a small screen - but very light. Handy to store photos on your travels.

A group of friends here at work are going to Japan for a holiday. One of them just bought a EEE pc with a 160Gb drive for browsing email and dumping photos.

So from your post I recommend a light / small unit for you. You need to try them in a shop. The small screens cheeze me off - but I also hate lugging the 'mobile data centre' as well. Maybe I get a PC back pack for my wife? ;)

IanB
03-03-2009, 10:19am
Look for a LT that has screen adjustment for brightness colour and contrast. Get at least 3 gb hard drive; RAM not so important as you can use an external disc.

When doing serious photo work it best to work in the same place with the same lighting; not a good idea to have any window light as it is always changing. A dark corner is ideal.

Happy shopping; buy local so you have the backup when needed

:)

Kym
03-03-2009, 10:48am
Look for a LT that has screen adjustment for brightness colour and contrast. Get at least 3 gb hard drive; RAM not so important as you can use an external disc.
When doing serious photo work it best to work in the same place with the same lighting; not a good idea to have any window light as it is always changing. A dark corner is ideal.
Happy shopping; buy local so you have the backup when needed
:)

160 GB hard drives are normal on notebooks - so 3Gb is low - did you mean 300?

A good graphics card / chip in the unit is important as Ian said. 256 or 512 MB graphics are common (Nvidia or AMD/ATI Radeon).

2GB main memory (RAM) with Win XP if using Adobe products - 1GB if only browsing / email etc.
At least 2GB if Vista; get as much as you can with Vista.
Vista eats :action4: battery life so if you can get Win XP do that.

Most modern units come with wired and wifi internet. Some have 3g built in as well - check the bands that they cover.

IanB
03-03-2009, 11:06am
160 GB hard drives are normal on notebooks - so 3Gb is low - did you mean 300?

A good graphics card / chip in the unit is important as Ian said. 256 or 512 MB graphics are common (Nvidia or AMD/ATI Radeon).

2GB main memory (RAM) with Win XP if using Adobe products - 1GB if only browsing / email etc.
At least 2GB if Vista; get as much as you can with Vista.
Vista eats :action4: battery life so if you can get Win XP do that.

Most modern units come with wired and wifi internet. Some have 3g built in as well - check the bands that they cover.

Should be 3gb of RAM; Sorry; thanks Kym.

:o