PDA

View Full Version : Dropped lens needs re collamination

enseth
12-07-2018, 4:36pm
Unfortunately my camera took a tumble with the Sony 1635 lens taking most of the impact. The resulting images are now blurred on the extremities. At a guess I'm thinking at the very least it needs to be re-collamated. Does anyone know where I can get this lens repaired at a reasonable rate? I had a similar incident about 6 months ago and the quote for the repair was as much as a new lens ie $2k.

ameerat42
12-07-2018, 4:41pm
EEK!:eek: - Sounds like a calamitation!

I haven't been to my usual haunts for some years, but you get a swathe of goers
searching on "lens repair sydney".

arthurking83
14-07-2018, 12:44pm
I'd say take both camera and lens to get checked/serviced/fixed.
Could be that the camera mount has taken a slight knock too, and even the smallest micrometer of mount distortion affects the cameras ability to render the image sharp at the edges.

Obviously if you have other lenses to test with, especially good quality prime lenses, then at the least do this and assess if the camera has taken any impact.

enseth
14-07-2018, 4:26pm
Could be that the camera mount has taken a slight knock too, and even the smallest micrometer of mount distortion affects the cameras ability to render the image sharp at the edges.

Obviously if you have other lenses to test with, especially good quality prime lenses, then at the least do this and assess if the camera has taken any impact.

Good advice. I purchased a new lens as this lens is the main work horse for my real estate photography business. The new lens is a sharp as a tack so it looks like the camera is ok. However if I can find someone to repair the damaged lens at a reasonable price I'd like to get it fixed as it would be good to have a backup lens. As an aside, I bought the new lens from Japan on Tuesday. It was at my door on Thursday. Why does it take so long to get items from Sydney?