PDA

View Full Version : Nik Collection now avaiable from Dx0

nardes
07-06-2018, 7:09am
Just got an e-mail from the folks at Dx0 and they have released the Nik Collection.

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/

There is an early adopter discount price at US$49 compared to full price of US$69.

Cheers

Dennis

Gazza
07-06-2018, 7:30am
Thanks Dennis. I got the same/similar email myself.

They claim they've 'Updated' it for 2018...Hmmm?

NEW - Compatible with the latest Windows and Mac operating systems

NEW - Adobe Creative Cloud now supported

NEW - Optimized user experience

I was one of those people that purchased the Google version a few years ago and it still happily works with my 'latest Windows', 'Adobe Creative Cloud' and as for their 'Optimized user experience', nothing new there either.

To me, it appears they may be exaggerating. Same Ship, different name, or am I missing something important? I'll have to wait and see I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Cécile very kindly and very very quickly replied to my query this morning....

Hello

Thank you for your interest in the Nik Collection by DxO 2018. While we understand that you have previously purchased the original version from other companies in the past, we are unable to offer an extra discount/free upgrade to the new collection.

The original version, purchased from other companies, will continue to work, as long as you use it on a compatible OS, or with compatible third-party programs, but it will not be updated any longer, and we will not be able to offer support for this version.

If you wish to purchase the Nik Collection by DxO 2018, it will work with new OSes and third party program versions, and we will offer full support.

Kind regards,

Cécile - DxO Customer Support

nardes
07-06-2018, 7:48am
Hi Gazza

I was one of the lucky ones that obtained it for free when Google took it over and like you, it has continued to work with my Win 10 Pro OS and PS CC. However, I bit the bullet and just purchased the discounted version at US$49 to future proof it, as I use certain modules quite frequently and wanted a little insurance in case of an OS or Adobe update down the line caused the Google version to either stop working, or become more difficult to use.

Cheers

Dennis

Gazza
07-06-2018, 7:56am
Hi Gazza

I was one of the lucky ones that obtained it for free when Google took it over and like you, it has continued to work with my Win 10 Pro OS and PS CC. However, I bit the bullet and just purchased the discounted version at US$49 to future proof it, as I use certain modules quite frequently and wanted a little insurance in case of an OS or Adobe update down the line caused the Google version to either stop working, or become more difficult to use.

Cheers

Dennis
I use it a lot myself as well, maybe too much? A wonderful, quick-n-easy tool/asset and I haven't found anything better than Silver Efex Pro yet.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and as you you say 'future proof' myself as well.

Cheers mate - :th3:

ricktas
07-06-2018, 8:04am
Would be good to get the feedback about what is better or new in this 2018 version from those that are purchasing it.

nardes
07-06-2018, 9:29am
Just opened PS CC and the old Nik “Dock” Menu appears to have gone and the Nik Collection is accessed via the PS Filter Menu (just like Topaz). So far the DxO new release appears to be the same as the old Google version in terms of the layout, filters, user interface and the few filters I have excercised in ColourEfx4 and SilverEfx2.

Cheers

Dennis

nardes
07-06-2018, 3:51pm
Here is an example showing the Raw SOC saved as a JPG and the same shot processed in Nik Colour Efex Pro 4/"Detail Extractor" and Sharpener Pro 3/"Raw Presharpener" at their default settings. The Nik Plug In adds the result as a new Layer.

I usually set the Nik Layers to between 33% and 67% opacity to take the edge off them; this example is 100% for both Detail Extractor and then Raw Presharpener applied on top of that.

Cheers

Dennis

SOC:

Nik Plug In:

Tannin
07-06-2018, 5:19pm
Detail extractor on a bird? Interesting. I use it quite a bit on landscapes, it never even occurred to me to use it on a bird.

nardes
07-06-2018, 6:38pm
Detail extractor on a bird? Interesting. I use it quite a bit on landscapes, it never even occurred to me to use it on a bird.

Hi Tony

I use it under the "Nature" Tab - not sure if it is any different from that implemented under the "Landscape" Tab. I use it at the Nik default of 25% on a separate Layer and then set the Opacity of the Layer to between 33% and 67% (I work in 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, etc. settings) so the final effect is quite mild.

I find it applies a very light HDR effect as well as a little micro contrast.

Cheers

Dennis

Tannin
07-06-2018, 7:39pm
I believe all the tabs are the same, Dennis. You can, for example, copy anything onto your favourites tab, which doesn't say "detail extractor #2".

Craig Zilko
07-06-2018, 8:56pm
Not sure I want to pay again for something that later became free. My old version is working just fine with the latest CC products, both Mac and Pc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jim
07-06-2018, 9:20pm
Me too. I’ll persist with the version I got free from Google until something comes along and breaks it. But when that happens I expect I’ll pay up.

Tannin
07-06-2018, 9:49pm
I paid for mine - from ... er ... the mob who sold it to Google. :(

farmmax
07-06-2018, 10:59pm
I've got the free one, and I'm quite content to keep going with it.

nardes
08-06-2018, 6:52am
The floating Nik Palette (red outline) has now re-appeared in PS, which is useful as a short cut, instead of going to the Filter Menu.:)

Cheers

Dennis

nardes
09-06-2018, 8:09am
This YouTube Video may be of use to any potential "toe dippers". Skip the preliminary ads after 4 secs and the review begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bciy9HWdB1Y

I also found it a use refresher on how Nik works.:)

Cheers

Dennis

CapnBloodbeard
09-06-2018, 1:18pm
Do people get much use out of Color Efex? What's the advantage of that over, say, LR?

Gazza
09-06-2018, 4:22pm
I use it a lot myself as well, maybe too much? A wonderful, quick-n-easy tool/asset and I haven't found anything better than Silver Efex Pro yet.

Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and as you you say 'future proof' myself as well.

Cheers mate - :th3:
Ok, I've now outlayed the big bucks and have had a quick play. I'm not seeing any difference ATM.

I will be sending them an email suggesting they included a quick and easy way to reset all the sliders to zero when I start a new project though. (Didn't work on old version either) Perhaps it's available now? I just can't seem to find it? :confused013

Now I'll sit back with a few beers and wait for them to abandon it like all the others and buy it off the next mob...lol :D :grinning01:

Cheers - :beer_mug:

agb
13-06-2018, 4:09pm
Too many bits of software around trying to get my $. I'll stick with the one I paid for years ago before it was free. And anyway I don't use it that much to justify another $66.

landyvlad
13-06-2018, 4:48pm
Me too agb. Ijusthad a look at my bank balance, and it scared the heck out of me. No way I'll be buying this. The free version still works, and as I only have PSE12 and Win 10 and none of this CC stuff, I think it'll happily keep working for me indefinitely.

(I do wish I had a full 'recent-ish' stand alone version of photoshop though).