PDA

View Full Version : How low can you go (with a tripod)

rexboggs5
23-04-2018, 8:37am
I love Steve Axford's fungi photos. At times his camera/macro lens is just millimetres from the ground, so he can shoot up at a mushroom and include the gills of the mushie in the photo.
What are some tripods (or techniques) that will allow you get the camera this low to the ground? He does focus-stacking with these photos, so the set-up has to be stable.
Also Steve says that he uses a macro ring, which allows him to attach the tripod directly to the macro lens (presumably to get it lower). Has anyone used one of these?

Thanks, Rex

ricktas
23-04-2018, 8:51am
My tripod allows the pole to be removed and inserted upside down, So I can basically sit the top of the camera on the ground. It also has an option to slide the centre pole up, tilt it sideways and slide it back in, so it works like a boom mic pole, where the camera can be off to the side of the tripod.

Some lenses, especially larger ones, come with a ring mount so that rather than attach the camera to the tripod, you attach the lens. Take a look at a lot of sport photographers and you will see this. They often use a monopod rather than a tripod, which the lens is attached to, the camera just 'hangs' off the back of the lens. This allows them stability from the monopod, but also easy movement to pan and follow the action etc.

The other thing with fungi is that they are often growing on decayed logs etc. You dont have to get right down to the ground, and Steve has done this too, lifting the thing it is on, up, sitting it higher and photographing it, and putting it back down when done. I have done this with fungi too. Easy to get under shots that way. There is a video somewhere of steve using a tent to place fungi in, to photograph them on their logs etc.

rexboggs5
23-04-2018, 12:10pm
Thanks Rick, lots of good advice there. A club member hangs his camera upside down but he has an articulated screen so he can see what he is photographing without having to get down to ground level himself. Re moving the fungi itself, Steve said he often does that, when it is possible. I also have a beanbag, which works well for single photos.

Cheers, Rex

jim
23-04-2018, 10:11pm
Beanbags are an underrated photographic accessory Rex. Other than that, I second everything Rick said.

rexboggs5
23-04-2018, 11:42pm
Thanks Jim. My beanbag has come in very handy at times.

ricktas
24-04-2018, 7:56am
Oh.. and if your area is leach territory. take some plastic garbage bags with you.. Light, small and easy to carry, but you can lay them out and then lie on the ground on them.. to help reduce bringing home some attachments. I also take a little bag of salt with me, because nearly every time I go fungi hunting in the damp dark gullies near home.. I get a leach or three. Leaches like places fungi can be found.

rexboggs5
24-04-2018, 8:12am
Thanks Rick, I hadn't thought of that. Not many leaches around here but I hope to be photographing fungi wherever I travel, so that is sage advice. Rex

Boo53
28-04-2018, 9:46pm
Thanks Rick, I hadn't thought of that. Not many leaches around here but I hope to be photographing fungi wherever I travel, so that is sage advice. Rex

There are leaches just about everywhere that isn't actually a desert, at least thats the attitude to take.

Back in about 2007/08 one of the leading bushwalking guide authors had a leach attachment site get infected and was seriously ill, in hospital I believe.

About the same time I was walking the Great South West Trail near Portland Vic and on day 1 of 3 had a leach which I didn't notice until I saw it crawling off my boot. Dosed the site with dettol and didn't think any more of it. At the end of the 3rd day my wife noticed the site was quite red and insisted I see a doctor.

Doc administed antibiotic by injection (remember those freezing cold painful injections) and insisted I see him every day for a week. I heard of the Author (Husband and wife team who wrote lots of guides) after my episode and googling to see if my Doc was over reacting.

ON the other point, if bean bags not available bags of rice work well also

rexboggs5
28-04-2018, 10:01pm
Thanks John. Fortunately I haven't had any leach problems for a long time. But I have only recently started photographing fungi, so the heads up if appreciated. Cheers, Rex

Steve Axford
29-04-2018, 9:01am
I use a Gitzo explorer tripod. It's the only one I have found that lets me position the camera very accurately and low to the ground. Expensive, but worth the high cost. Insect repellant works to keep leeches away. If you are interested in a course - that is possible if you stay at our Airb&b. https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/22872538

- - - Updated - - -

I use a Gitzo explorer tripod. It's the only one I have found that lets me position the camera very accurately and low to the ground. Expensive, but worth the high cost. Insect repellant works to keep leeches away. If you are interested in a course - that is possible if you stay at our Airb&b. https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/22872538

rexboggs5
30-04-2018, 12:04pm
Thanks Steve. I looked on the web for Gitzo Explorer tripods. One seller said, "The Explorer unleashes its potential when used with a Gitzo off-center ball head."
What ballhead do you use with your Gitzo tripod? Thanks. Rex

Steve Axford
30-04-2018, 1:39pm
I use non-Gitzo ball heads, but I'd assume that the gitzo is better with very heavy cameras. Since I wanted to make the setup as light as possible , I often use a manfrotto ball head. It works ok even when horizontal. Lots of cheap ball heads don't work at all when horizontal.

rexboggs5
30-04-2018, 2:08pm
Thanks Steve, very useful info. I have a Manfrotto ball head. I haven't tried it horizontal as my Gitzo tripod has a centre column that prevents me from getting to ground level. Cheers, Rex