PDA

View Full Version : OM-D E-M10 Mark II

Glenda
06-02-2018, 1:13pm
This was quirky. I put the camera on raw only for the first time today and my computer wouldn't even recognise there was a card in the reader. Thought it might just be an iMac thing but, although it recognised there was a card there, my husband's PC wouldn't recognise the photos. It had worked perfectly when I was shooting in raw + jpeg. So, I put the camera back on raw + jpeg, shot one photo, inserted the card and hey presto it recognised it and all my raw only shots were there also. :confused013

Would be interested to hear from any other Olympus users how to get around this. Otherwise I guess I can just shoot one shot raw + jpeg then change the camera to raw only.

Gazza
06-02-2018, 1:16pm
Shoulda bought a Canon ((:eek:))

John King
06-02-2018, 6:42pm
Glenda, after more than 10 years using a whole lot of Olympus cameras, and being a very active member of Olympus fora, I have never heard of such a thing occurring.

Were blank icons visible on your husband's PC?

And yes, lots of things are 'Mac things' ...

Glenda
06-02-2018, 6:50pm
Glenda, after more than 10 years using a whole lot of Olympus cameras, and being a very active member of Olympus fora, I have never heard of such a thing occurring.

Were blank icons visible on your husband's PC?

And yes, lots of things are 'Mac things' ...

Hi John, yes blank icons were visible on the PC. I did have a look on the Apple forums and apparently there have been some problems with viewing Olympus raw files although they are supposed to be supported by both the Sierra and High Sierra systems. I think I'll just go with leaving it on raw + jpeg. For the type of shooting I intend to do with this camera, I'm happy with the jpegs anyway.

Floribunda
06-02-2018, 8:27pm
Hi John, yes blank icons were visible on the PC. I did have a look on the Apple forums and apparently there have been some problems with viewing Olympus raw files although they are supposed to be supported by both the Sierra and High Sierra systems. I think I'll just go with leaving it on raw + jpeg. For the type of shooting I intend to do with this camera, I'm happy with the jpegs anyway.

I was going to say just what you said in your last sentence Glenda. I use Oly Super-fine Jpegs (you may have to search for it in menus)and although have always been urged to shoot in raw, I find for what I do, these Jpegs (to me) are nearly as good as raw. Because I use Gimp it is a lot of bother converting from raw.

John King
06-02-2018, 8:55pm
Glenda, the blank icons indicate that Windows Explorer does not have a codex installed that can display the JPEG embedded in the RAW file.

I always shoot RAW plus LSF JPEG. I only use the RAW for PP. I use the LSF JPEG for internet posting, email and the like.

Glenda
07-02-2018, 8:42am
Thanks Lyn and John. I am impressed with the quality of the jpeg fine images so will leave it on raw + jpeg so if I do wish to process one it's available in raw and at least my computer will recognise the card.

John King
07-02-2018, 11:06am
Have you tried LSF? The compression ratio is only 2.7:1 vs 4:1 for LF. I can easily see the difference in many shots.

Glenda
08-02-2018, 7:24am
I don't seem to have that option John, only LF LN

John King
08-02-2018, 1:34pm
Glenda, ALL Olympus cameras have that option.

I will have a look in the on-line manual for it for your model.

The PDF manual is available here:

http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em10m2_e.pdf

The procedure is described on p.104 of the PDF manual.

Glenda
09-02-2018, 8:04am
I had downloaded the manual but haven't gone through it properly as yet. I still can't see that option and my screen doesn't look like the one shown in the manual. I'm possibly missing a step. I'll take a shot of what I get on the lcd later in the morning and post it.

Glenda
09-02-2018, 12:08pm
Glenda, ALL Olympus cameras have that option.

I will have a look in the on-line manual for it for your model.

The PDF manual is available here:

http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em10m2_e.pdf

The procedure is described on p.104 of the PDF manual.

When I go into that section, this is the screen I see

John King
09-02-2018, 3:24pm
Glenda, I think you are in the wrong menu.

Your screen should look like the first graphic on p.104 of the PDF manual.

What you are looking for is:

MENU

COGS

Sub-menu G

{ROCKET SYMBOL}

Right arrow button

Use right and left arrow keys to navigate between items; up and down to change value

Press OK button to save choices and exit menu.

[Edit] I just worked it out. Your screen shot is from Shooting Menu 1, not the setup (COGS) menu.

Glenda
09-02-2018, 6:56pm
Thanks John - found it. Yes I was in the shooting menu. Should have read more carefully. Have now set it to L SF

John King
09-02-2018, 7:00pm
Good oh, Glenda.

I also use aRGB, then convert to sRGB for email/web and such like. Keeps as much data for as long as possible in the processing chain.

arthurking83
13-02-2018, 10:14am
... I also use aRGB, then convert to sRGB for email/web and such like. Keeps as much data for as long as possible in the processing chain.

point to note on this comment is that this is only true for the jpg file, NOT the raw file!!

@ Glenda:
* you shouldn't have to shoot raw + jpg to get the raw images to display on your computers(Mac or Win)!!

I'd say that there is an issue with the raw codec installation somehow.
I'm not well versed with Olympus software/support, but do you have any Olympus software installed on the computers?

If not, try them .. even if you don't use them.

eg. I've seen that there is an Olympus viewer 3 software .. that obviously is a program designed to display Olympus images .. and surely this one displays Olympus raw files.
What they usually do when they make such software is to install stuff like codecs onto the computer which should help with your issue.

Just make sure that the software installed, is dated similarly but always later than the date that the camera was released.

John King
13-02-2018, 11:09am
The freeware Faststone Viewer displays both RAW and JPEG previews. Also allows some not so primitive editing of both.

ameerat42
13-02-2018, 11:49am
The freeware Faststone Viewer displays both RAW and JPEG previews. Also allows some not so primitive editing of both.

I'll 2nd this and add that FS can also do a good bit of color and tonal and sharpening adjustments - basic editing.

I use it to view >and< move the raw files on the card to the computer. (FS looks at the embedded jpeg in the raw file AFAIK and displays that.)

Might I ask what camera you used before, and how you moved those raw files?

Finally, I'll just say Llps for the last time.:D

John King
13-02-2018, 12:34pm
Am, FSV can also display/edit the full size RAW. Just press "A" key when the RAW image is displayed. It will load the full RAW.

arthurking83
13-02-2018, 1:48pm
Faststone is a great program, but doens't answer the issue of no being able to view raw files natively in the OS.

Sometimes it can be beneficial to view/organise your raw files via the OS'es native applications too.

John King
13-02-2018, 2:46pm
The user needs a codec on their Windows PC that displays RAW, PSD, etc thumbnails e.g. FastPictureViewer (https://www.fastpictureviewer.com/) codec pack. There are a number of others.

Glenda
14-02-2018, 8:29am
Thanks Arthur, John and Am. I'll have a look and see if I can find something which allows me to view the raw files only. It just seems really quirky to me that my Mac wouldn't even recognise that there was a card there when there was only raw images but add 1 shot with jpeg and all the raw files miraculously appeared. Qld is in the midst of a heatwave at present so haven't wanted to get out and take photos - not sure how we ever survived without air-con.