PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in traveling to Sri Lanka to photograph wildlife?

Brian500au
31-01-2018, 7:47pm
Hi All

I am considering a photography trip to Sri Lanka in August 2018 to witness the gathering of a number of Sri Lanka's elephant population at the Minneriya National Park. More information about the actual event can be found here https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/sri-lanka-elephant-migration/index.html

I am planning to spend a couple of days at Minneriya and then traveling down to Yala National park to photograph a variety of wildlife (deer, elephants, variety of birds, coyote, buffalo, monkeys, reptiles and the elusive leopard). From there travel to Bundala National Park (variety of water birds) and then on to Marissa to photograph blue whales and dolphins. Sri Lanka is about the same size as Tasmania (Tasmania is slightly larger) but has 21 million people compared to Tassy's 0.5 million.

This folder highlights some of the photographs I took last time https://creative.smugmug.com/Travel/Asia/Sri-Lanka

Sri Lanka is about the same size as Tasmania (Tasmania is slightly larger) but has 21 million people compared to Tassy's 0.5 million.

I was wondering if there is any interest in anybody from this forum in forming a small group to do this trip together? I was loosely planning a 10 - 12 day trip. The last time I travelled to Sri Lanka I used a company called Jetwing Travel who organised everything including all accommodation, transport and park fees. I recently had them quote up a different trip but still around the same number of days and the cost was $2355 USD (approx 3K AUD) based on a twin share basis. The air fare to Sri Lanka is extra and I guess around $1000 AUD.

I want to stress this is not me leading a group of photographers to Sri Lanka - it is just me thinking a group of people with similar interests might be interested in pursuing those interests in Sri Lanka. No matter how inexperienced or experienced you are there is always something to learn from someone else on the trip. In my own experience, I have really enjoyed traveling with photographers on previous trips - but find them very expensive as you are paying for a photography instructors / leaders whereas in this case we would all be sharing knowledge equally.

If there is any interest please just leave a message below or you can PM me. If there are any questions throw it out there in case anybody has the same question. I am not sure I have all the answers but I will do my best to help out where I can.

Kel

Ahimsa
06-02-2018, 7:47am
I sure would love to travel to Sri Lanka, sadly finances dictate an overseas trip will have to wait until 2019. I like your photos, especially the primates, Cheers :th3:

Geoff79
06-02-2018, 9:09am
My younger brother went there with a couple of mates a couple of years ago on a surf trip. He’s not into photography whatsoever, but took a lot of point and shoot pics of landscape/seascapes there. Beautiful beaches and great waterfalls and walks in the mountains. I’d definitely love to go there one day for a surf/landscape photography trip. One day... :)

The photos look like your last trip was fruitful, as I hope this next one is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian500au
06-02-2018, 4:18pm
My younger brother went there with a couple of mates a couple of years ago on a surf trip. He’s not into photography whatsoever, but took a lot of point and shoot pics of landscape/seascapes there. Beautiful beaches and great waterfalls and walks in the mountains. I’d definitely love to go there one day for a surf/landscape photography trip. One day... :)

The photos look like your last trip was fruitful, as I hope this next one is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sri Lanka reminds me of an unspoiled Thailand. When I was there last time I was impressed with the amount of international hotels being built in Columbo. It may end up I travel there by myself - and if that is the case I will maybe spend a bit more time there to look around.

Derfman
02-03-2018, 4:00pm
Beautiful country, i went two years ago and enjoyed it all, would highly recommend Wilpathu NP as well as Yala - Wilpathu gets a lot less casual visitors.

Morgo
04-03-2018, 2:51pm
Hi Brian, have you made any progress with this?

Brian500au
04-03-2018, 3:12pm
Hi Brian, have you made any progress with this?

I am still looking at going and one other member has also shown an interest. I am in Cambodia at the moment but back next week - I plan to put together an itinerary then if you are interested.

Morgo
04-03-2018, 3:17pm
I'm interested.

I will need to look into my leave though and depending on final dates/itinerary/costs.