PDA

View Full Version : Yongnuo YN968N Speedlight & YN560-TX IIN trigger

Bear Dale
15-01-2018, 1:55pm
I just received my Yongnuo YN968N Speedlight and YN560-TX IIN trigger I bought off eBay.

I've never owned a non OEM flash before and was really surprised at the high build quality. Communication between the flash and the trigger was a cinch to set up and TTL works fine.

Time will tell with longevity, but for the price of these two units compared to Nikon gear, it was worth a gamble.

Anyone else use Yongnou flashes (or other knock offs) and what do you think of them?

Glenda
15-01-2018, 4:51pm
I have a friend who uses (has about 3) and swears by them. She does heaps of portraits/water droplets etc and uses her flashes a lot and have never heard of any complaints about the
Yongnuo speedlights.

Bear Dale
15-01-2018, 5:13pm
Thanks Glenda, I am impressed with the build quality. So cheap compared to OEM.

arthurking83
15-01-2018, 6:21pm
I have a few Yongnuo accessories, and they generally seem OK in terms of build quality.

Took a chance and got their ultra cheapie 50/1.8 and 35/2 lenses (for Nikon). Definitely didnt' need another 50mm but I thought, at $70 .. why not! .. even if it only ends up as a sacrificial offering to the gods of photographic technical theory!
In the end they both ended up working quite well .. and now thinking of getting another of their lenses that seems like a bit of fun to play with.

Anyhow. Was going to get into using flash some years back when brother in law asked me to do photo shoots of the houses he's building renovating .. but I'm inherently lazy and didn't want more work :p
I have Nikon's ultra annoying SB800, but rarely use it nowadays.

is that their new model that also has the ability to use LiIon battery pack?

Ross M
15-01-2018, 11:39pm
I have a YN 568, YN 565 and YN 560 Mk IV plus RF wireless triggers I am happy. They are definitely good value for money and seem durable enough for me.

Yongnuo are increasing the feature sets in each generation of models as they reverse-engineer Canon and Nikon flashes. I have Nikons and the compatibility is slightly better with Canon, but it's no biggy for me. The early RF wireless remote triggers had the power switch on the top, which would be covered up by the flash and that was annoying, but later models moved the switches to the side.

I am thinking about buying RF remotes that are compatible with the high speed sync of the YN 568, but I am trying to reduce photography spending right now. There is not complete compatibility between the economy and premium Yougnuo remote triggers for advanced features, meaning that I would have to relegate a couple of remotes as back-ups and spend more to get the features.

I bought the YN 560 Mk IV because it has RF triggering built-in. This is a great feature because I save time attaching a remote to one flash and I don't have to worry about the state of charge of rechargable batteries in a remote trigger. The downside is that it does not have TTL, but if I'm using multiple flashes I use manual anyway.

Bear Dale
16-01-2018, 9:00am
Thanks for your replies Arthur and Ross.

Arthur here's a bit about the flash I bought -

http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn968n-speedlite-released/

MissionMan
16-01-2018, 9:41am
I just received my Yongnuo YN968N Speedlight and YN560-TX IIN trigger I bought off eBay.

I've never owned a non OEM flash before and was really surprised at the high build quality. Communication between the flash and the trigger was a cinch to set up and TTL works fine.

Time will tell with longevity, but for the price of these two units compared to Nikon gear, it was worth a gamble.

Anyone else use Yongnou flashes (or other knock offs) and what do you think of them?

I have the YN560 and YN560TX and they are great. I find the quality of the trigger is a little substandard compared to the speedlight (but still good), but overall, I was damn impressed with the quality.

In the end, I switched to Godox, not because of quality issues with Yongnuo, but more to do with mixed strobe and speedlight support and a lack of TTL/HSS on Fujifilm which is not a problem with other systems. Godox seems to have the same issue with the trigger being slightly subpar compared to the quality of the speedlight, but also still good.

I think in my Nikon days I looked at people like idiots when they bought Yongnuo, but to be honest, I have a hard time justifying the sort of money the branded flashes cost these days after using Godox and Yongnuo

Bear Dale
16-01-2018, 9:51am
I'm the same MM, the cost of mutiple branded flashes compared to these would be just too exorbitant for me and these work perfectly.

MissionMan
16-01-2018, 10:09am
I'm the same MM, the cost of mutiple branded flashes compared to these would be just too exorbitant for me and these work perfectly.

I think what will also shake up the market a bit is the new Godox AD600 Pro. Shorter recycle times and better colour temperatures than the B1X.

https://fstoppers.com/gear/godox-leaks-ad600-pro-profoto-and-broncolor-may-have-worry-rumor-210712

Ross M
16-01-2018, 12:17pm
Thanks for your replies Arthur and Ross.

Arthur here's a bit about the flash I bought -

http://flashhavoc.com/yongnuo-yn968n-speedlite-released/

Thanks for the link. I see that this model now covers the two incompatible RF trigger systems I was referring to - newer, more featured 622 that supports HSS and older RF603 and 605 series. I am tempted to get the YN968. I could place it on the camera to bounce off a ceiling and use it to control both the YN568 and 560 series flashes flashes using older RF600 series triggers. This delivers the convenience of control on the camera. Sometimes I work in limited space for flash stands and forego a third flash because my trigger is on the hotshoe. I know I could use optical triggering, but I don't trust it as much as RF triggering. Looks like the YN968 is about AU$156 (delivered) on ebay right now. I might need to sell off some gear to raise funds.

Correction:
I've read the info more carefully now and my plan above is incorrect. The YN968 cannot act as a master for the YN560 series flashes. I would need to buy a 622 controller as well to act as a receiver for one of my old flashes if the 968 was used as a master.

Bear Dale
16-01-2018, 5:07pm
Cheers for the info Ross.