PDA

View Full Version : Photography and travelling around Tas in April 2018

Claire M
30-12-2017, 9:52pm
It's now all booked and confirmed! My older sister, Alex, (who is also a photography enthusiast) and myself will be heading clockwise around Tas (I've only visited Hobart and Port Authur) for a photography holiday adventure, after visiting our younger sister in Hobart area for a couple of days, from 4th April, and finishing our trip back in Hobart on 12th April.
We'll be borrowing my sister and her partner's spare car - an AWD wagon, and the places we've tentatively booked for O/N accom are at Cradle Mt, Stanley, Launceston, St Helens, and Coles Bay.
If any Taswegian or anyone who knows Tassie well can suggest some of the more not so famous places/landmarks, historic buildings, nature reserves/parks worth visiting (and photographing), as well as advice and tips re best breweries/wineries/produce, as well as galleries, and anything arty or quirky worth a visit that isn't too 'touristy', then please let me know. :D
Also, would there be any events/festivals happening in the first 2 weeks of April?, and any advice on best routes/roads to drive on to get from place to place would be appreciated too.
I've seen wonderful photos of Russel Falls, so any idea how much water would be flowing/falling at these falls during early April?
Also, if anyone in Tas (or anyone else visiting Tas at the time) would like to meet up over a cuppa/beverage or join us for a little photography session somewhere in Tas please let me know. :D
I did notice Anne's (Aussirose) Tasting Tassie post a few days back, and it's a shame we couldn't tie our trip to coincide somewhere along our travels with Anne's trip a month later. Ah well!

ricktas
31-12-2017, 8:41am
If your first stop is Cradle Mountain you are missing out on some of the amazing things on offer on the western half of the state. You would need at least 2-3 days to see that part well.

Gordon Dam (largest Dam in the Southern hemisphere) - feeling adventurous? You can absail down it.
On the way to Gordon Dam, Lake Pedder.
Russell Falls in the Mt Field National Park
Queenstown - think moonscape from over 100 years of mining around the town.
Strahan- voted the best small town in the world (several times). Take cruise into the south west wilderness.

On the east coast. Take a boat to Maria Island -Penal colony, but not as famous as Port Arthur.

Around Southern Tas:

Hartz Mountains National Park (again into the South West Wilderness)
Richmond
Go up Mt Wellington - either early or late and get photos of the city as the lights go off or come on.
MONA - Best museum in the world (again voted this several times)

You will find out that even though Tassie is small, it will take you a long time to go from point A to point B because there is something to photograph around each corner.

Gazza
31-12-2017, 8:49am
It's now all booked and confirmed! My older sister, Alex, (who is also a photography enthusiast) and myself will be heading clockwise around Tas (I've only visited Hobart and Port Authur) for a photography holiday adventure, after visiting our younger sister in Hobart area for a couple of days, from 4th April, and finishing our trip back in Hobart on 12th April.
We'll be borrowing my sister and her partner's spare car - an AWD wagon, and the places we've tentatively booked for O/Naccom are at Cradle Mt, Stanley, Launceston, St Helens, and Coles Bay.
If any Taswegian or anyone who knows Tassie well can suggest some of the more not so famous places/landmarks, historic buildings, nature reserves/parks worth visiting (and photographing), as well as advice and tipsre best breweries/wineries/produce, as well as galleries, and anything arty or quirky worth a visit that isn't too 'touristy', then please let me know. :D
Also, would there be any events/festivals happening in the first 2 weeks of April?, and any advice on best routes/roads to drive on to get from place to place would be appreciated too.
I've seen wonderful photos of Russel Falls, so any idea how much water would be flowing/falling at these falls during early April?
Also, if anyone in Tas (or anyone else visiting Tas at the time) would like to meet up over a cuppa/beverage or join us for a little photography session somewhere in Tas please let me know. :D
I did notice Anne's (Aussirose) Tasting Tassie post a few days back, and it's a shame we couldn't tie our trip to coincide somewhere along our travels with Anne's trip a month later. Ah well!
Going the wrong way if you're planning to unwind :grinning01: :grinning01:

ameerat42
31-12-2017, 8:59am
I tend to agree, Gazza, but CM has to get to Hob to get the car.
We did it "backwards" and I reckon it was :th3:

ApolloLXII
31-12-2017, 2:26pm
My only advice is: take a jumper (or cardigan), take a jumper (or cardigan) and, if you are in any doubt, take a jumper (or cardigan) with you. [emoji6]

Claire M
31-12-2017, 3:30pm
If your first stop is Cradle Mountain you are missing out on some of the amazing things on offer on the western half of the state. You would need at least 2-3 days to see that part well.
I agree with you Rick, and I wish we had more time/days to see more, however, as my sister lives a third of the year in Tassie, that area (and Hartz Mountains National Park) will be something special to visit when I catch up with her another time/another year. :)
We plan on seeing Mt Wellington, and Richmond. Hopefully, I'll explore and hike around Freycinet National Park sometime in the future as well. :)
Know of any wineries and breweries (beer or cider) worth a visit to sample/buy from, and doesn't have to be in the Tamar Valley, (that's bot too touristy) Rick?

I'm gathering that 'backwards' AM and Gazza, means starting/finishing from Launceston?? ..... and yes, we'll be bringing clothing for all seasons! :D

ameerat42
31-12-2017, 3:40pm
Y:nod:s. But it depends on where you land. Even from Hobart you can go a-clockwise-ish.

See what suits you best. But of course you can go again another time:nod:

Boo53
31-12-2017, 8:08pm
Hmm, probably not practical in your time frame, but heading west from Hobart to Strahan and have a look at Lake St Clair, "The Wall" and Queenstown on the way.

From Strahan head north, having a look at Zeehan and keeping on going north, just before Waratah turn right to Cradle Mountain.

From there pop back to Burnie and Stanley, then ....... etc:

On the other hand, my wife and I flew over for a week in 2010 and after 2 days in Hobart sauntered up the east coast for about 4 days then to Launceston and flew back from there.

In 2012 we went over for 4 weeks and for 5 weeks in both of 2013 & 2016, still a whole lot to see

Hawthy
10-02-2018, 7:03pm
I am also looking for advice on good photographic subjects in Tasmania. We are doing a 15-day car trip in March.

We arrive in Hobart on Friday 16 March and plan on spending four nights in Hobart seeing the city, Salamanca markets and doing day trips to Port Arthur, the Gordon Dam, Lake Pedder, etc. Then we spend three nights in Bicheno doing day trips to Freycinet and the Bay of Fires.

Two nights in Launceston (I have no idea what is around there). Two nights in Cradle Mountain. Two nights in Strahan- we plan on doing the boat trip to the Gordon River and the railway / rafting trip in Queenstown. One night at the Derwent Bridge Wilderness Hotel looking around the Lake St Clair area. Then overnight in Hobart before flying home.

We are covering a lot of the island but taking a reasonable amount of time doing it. I am looking for advice as to the most scenic areas and routes and any other info that anyone would like to share. Thanks.