PDA

View Full Version : Dead Sensor? Canon 7D mk 1

markbufi
13-11-2017, 1:49pm
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has seen this before? My Canon 7D (mk1) is taking images like this. Hasn't been dropped or water, etc. Not all photos are this bad, some almost turn out but are littered with coloured pixels. My guess is its the sensor has died, but I'm sure some of you have seen this before. It's out of warranty, about 5 years old.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2rylfmd.jpg

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Mark Bufi.

ameerat42
13-11-2017, 2:19pm
I haven't seen this sort of thing from a digital camera before. Tried searching for like
images but could find none.

It looks as if the image is not being written properly to the file. -- NOT that it is any
better than having a crook sensor. With that camera, can you see an image on the
screen using Live View? If yes always, then I'd say it's not the sensor.

Cage
13-11-2017, 2:29pm
Have you tried a different memory card?

ameerat42
13-11-2017, 2:30pm
Good point, Kev:nod:

markbufi
13-11-2017, 4:24pm
I haven't seen this sort of thing from a digital camera before. Tried searching for like
images but could find none.

It looks as if the image is not being written properly to the file. -- NOT that it is any
better than having a crook sensor. With that camera, can you see an image on the
screen using Live View? If yes always, then I'd say it's not the sensor.

Thanks for the response guys. I have tried two different cards (both high spec, fast cards) but will try another couple tonight and will play around with live-view. Will keep you posted!

Mary Anne
13-11-2017, 5:36pm
Do you format your memory card in the camera. Is your firmware up to date, as sometimes that can cause problems if not updated.

farmmax
14-11-2017, 12:07am
I had a scanner produce images like this. Played around with it to see if I could do any thing, but no luck. Scanners are cheap so I simply bought a new one :)

Boo53
16-11-2017, 10:29pm
I had one that did something like that. I'd been in Central Aus for a while and suspected dust in the card slot. Running a card in and out didn't do much but in desperation I dipped and old, and expendable, card in method and ran it in and out a few times and it came good.

BUT, I was desperate, if I was near a camera service place I'd go there first

markbufi
16-11-2017, 11:34pm
Do you format your memory card in the camera. Is your firmware up to date, as sometimes that can cause problems if not updated.

Hi Mary Anne, I have tried several cards, formatting in camera and on PC, updating all camera software and updating firm ware. :confused013

- - - Updated - - -

I had one that did something like that. I'd been in Central Aus for a while and suspected dust in the card slot. Running a card in and out didn't do much but in desperation I dipped and old, and expendable, card in method and ran it in and out a few times and it came good.

BUT, I was desperate, if I was near a camera service place I'd go there first

Haha, yeah - not that game! Thanks for the reply!

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried a different memory card?
Hi Kev, several. All high spec fast cards. Formatting, reset settings in camera... firmware is up to date.

K10D
18-11-2017, 10:07am
Yes, had this way back on a Minolta 7Hi, it was sensor failure.

Best regards