PDA

View Full Version : Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 - any good?

Bensch
21-10-2017, 8:33pm
Greetings everyone,

Spotted a couple of reviews recently of the Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, and am seriously considering picking one up.

Price seems to be between $80-90 for one.

Does anyone have/use one, and if so, what are your thoughts?

I know it won't be the absolute best piece of glass, but thought it might be worth playing around with, for the price.

paulheath
21-10-2017, 9:03pm
may as well spend the extra $10 and get the canon 50mm f1.8 ...nifty fifty..crackin piece of glass...
ok scrap that as just noticed your a Nikon user....:lol2:

Hawthy
22-10-2017, 5:41pm
Not sure about the quality if their lenses but Yongnuo make good flashes. I tossed up buying the same lens but wound up spending about $180 from memory on a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S and don't regret spending the extra. Just make sure that the lens will autofocus on your camera. I bought a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF for around $100 and it will not autofocus on my D5100. I should have just bought the AF-S up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterb666
22-10-2017, 8:17pm
A second-hand nifty-50 from any of the main manufacturers doesn't cost much more and you can recoup most of that on resale when you get tired of it.

Bensch
23-10-2017, 3:35pm
may as well spend the extra $10 and get the canon 50mm f1.8 ...nifty fifty..crackin piece of glass...
ok scrap that as just noticed your a Nikon user....:lol2:

Thanks Paul :D

Not sure about the quality if their lenses but Yongnuo make good flashes. I tossed up buying the same lens but wound up spending about $180 from memory on a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S and don't regret spending the extra. Just make sure that the lens will autofocus on your camera. I bought a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF for around $100 and it will not autofocus on my D5100. I should have just bought the AF-S up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Andrew :th3:

Reviews do make it seem good for the money.
I had looked at the Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 D (https://www.teds.com.au/nikon-af-50mm-f1-8-d) but will only AF with bodies that have a built in focusing motor (the D3100 doesn't :()
Whereas the Yongnuo has a built-in focus motor.

A second-hand nifty-50 from any of the main manufacturers doesn't cost much more and you can recoup most of that on resale when you get tired of it.

Thanks Peter :th3:

I've been keeping my eyes out for a second hand 50 (that will work with the D3100) but haven't come across anything.

Not too worried about the resale value, if it got to the point where I didn't want it anymore, I'd more than likely just give it away rather than sell.