PDA

View Full Version : Lexar Lives!!

arthurking83
02-09-2017, 1:15pm
Lexar Lives!!! :banana: :music05: :party7: and :wd:

Chinese memory manufacturer Longsys has acquired the brand name (http://www.longsys.com/longsys-acquires-lexar-brand-a-leading-brand-for-high-performance-removable-storage-solutions/)

Of course the celebratory smileys are fully dependent on the point that quality control doesn't suffer at Lexar as a result of this acquisition.

...This acquisition provides assurance to existing Lexar customers that the solutions and support they have come to expect from Lexar branded products will continue to be available.
This is the good news. I like my Lexar gear, card works well and reader works better than any other I've used(so far). So, all round, good news there.

... Additionally, the market reach and product breadth provided by Longsys promises to expand the Lexar customer experience into new market segments and geographies.
Don't care, never will! :p
Just make sure you guys keep up with the demand for speed and space as our gear ups any currently set antes into the future.

Mary Anne
02-09-2017, 11:33pm
Good one, I like my Lexar gear too :nod:

Tannin
03-09-2017, 8:13am
Never heard of them. A look at their website does not fill one with confidence. Cheap and high-volume, you'd reckon.

Compare with the Lenovo purchase of IBM. Thinkpads were (before the purchase) regarded as the highest quality, toughest, best engineered notebooks around. They still are. All credit to Lenovo. But (a) they were already a better-than-average company before they bought IBM, and (b) made a conscious decision to preserve the existing organisation as a going concern, including staff, R&D labs, facilities, everything right down to the chap who answers the phone in Melbourne or Mumbai, they kept the lot, merely adding some Chinese manufacturing and production efficiency and dropping their prices to something fairly reasonable. It has been a great success and the Thinkpad brand name is as trusted and respected as it ever was. More in some ways.

But that was Lenovo. Lonovo isn't your average Chinese company.

This is some mob we never heard of, and (if we read the press releases right) they aren't taking over the company or division, they are just buying the brand name. There is no indication, for example, that Lexar engineers will be working for the new firm, and no particular indication that product and design quality will be anything like the same.

arthurking83
03-09-2017, 9:37am
Never heard of them. ...

Same here.
But they're making high volume as an OEM manufacturer, rather than simply cheap and high volume.

ie. the chances were that they were making the Lexar cards themselves(someone has to make the physical cards, and from memory Lexar didn't actually make their own).

so my best guess is that they make the cards, the brand was up for sale .. so why not own the brand that you're producing for! ;)

Tannin
03-09-2017, 12:07pm
Let's all just hope that you are right, AK.

farmmax
05-09-2017, 12:40am
I'm another happy Lexar user as well, so long live Lexar! Hopefully the quality will remain.