PDA

View Full Version : looking for a nice sturdy tripod

ivans75
18-08-2017, 4:50pm
Hey guys, i bought a $40 zomei tripod from ebay, its good but it doesnt seem sturdy. Well you get what you pay for I guess...
There is however a $200 profesional version of zomei tripod, anyone used their tripod? especially in the upper market model?
Or any suggestion for tripod in $100-150 budget? Something I can use like forever?? Thanks

Tannin
18-08-2017, 5:11pm
There are two ways to buy a tripod.

(a) Save lots by buying a cheap one. Realise that the cheap one is useless, so throw it away and spend more on a half-decent one. Realise that the half-decent one still doesn't hold the camera still properly, so throw it away and spend even more on a good one.

(b) Buy a good one.

Guess which way is cheaper.

Hawthy
18-08-2017, 5:15pm
Congratulations. You have started a thread that will generate more discussion and debate than just about any other. :lol:

Sorry but I have no experience with Zomei. When I was shopping for a tripod, I wanted one that was small enough to fit in a suitcase and light enough that I wasn't going to be slugged overweight baggage charges, but still sturdy. I bought a Manfrotto MK393-H because it only weighed 1.25 kg and folded down to 49 cm. It also had a pan head, which I like although I think most photographers prefer a ball head. It can go as low as 35 cm for low angle shots but maximum height is only 144 cm. I would prefer it if it could go just a bit higher but it is all a compromise. It cost about $140 from memory. I think that the Manfrotto Befree gets good wraps for a travel tripod. They are about $199.

I can almost guarantee that someone here will recommend that you spend the most amount of money that you possibly can on the sturdiest tripod available because you will eventually wind up buying that. I don't hold with that because to me, provided it holds the camera steady I don't really expect or need anything further. That said, I am only shooting a Nikon D5100 which is quite light and with relatively short lenses. If you have a full frame DSLR with a 400mm lens you will need a much sturdier tripod.

Have a think about what you plan to shoot using the tripod. If it is just photos most people prefer a ball head. If you might shoot video a pan head is preferable.

- - - Updated - - -

There are two ways to buy a tripod.

(a) Save lots by buying a cheap one. Realise that the cheap one is useless, so throw it away and spend more on a half-decent one. Realise that the half-decent one still doesn't hold the camera still properly, so throw it away and spend even more on a good one.

(b) Buy a good one.

Guess which way is cheaper.

My prophecy is fulfilled.:D

Cage
18-08-2017, 5:59pm
What Tannin said.

I bought three trying for the cheap option, and with the fourth I spent what I'd already wasted.

If weight is not an issue, aluminium if fine.

I did a write up on my thoughts on buying a tripod here .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:A_beginners_guide_to_buying_a_tripod_and_head

The main thing to consider is to get the height you require, without the centre column raised, because as soon as you raise the centre column vibration increases, extra-potentially.

To give you an idea of vibration, mount your gear on your tripod, go to magnified live-view, and touch your tripod or camera. Even the most expensive tripods suffer from it though they will settle down in a few seconds.

There is some good budget stuff coming out of Korea and even China, so my advice is to toddle off to a big camera store in Melbourne with your camera and lens and do the test I mentioned above.

Hamster
18-08-2017, 6:24pm
Congratulations. You have started a thread that will generate more discussion and debate than just about any other. :lol:

Why don't we also ask for his views on how much post processing is allowed on any photos he takes using the new tripod ;-)

Hamster
18-08-2017, 6:28pm
Why don't we also ask for his views on how much post processing is allowed on any photos he takes using the new tripod ;-)

FWIW I'd advise limiting the height you need it to go to as much as possible. You'll spend a lot of cash maintaining the ability to take a sturdy shot while stood upright. Assuming you're not one of Snow White's seven mates.

Hawthy
18-08-2017, 7:35pm

Just make sure that he (or she - no sexism here) doesn't photograph a snow plough. If this doesn't make sense check the "Who, What, Where" thread.

ivans75
18-08-2017, 8:11pm
hey nice discussion here, ok that $40 one can extend to max 144 cm in height which sux. I didnt pay attention on the height before I bought it so yeah as Tannin said I have made my tripod more expensive now. The ball head looks like a good idea tho

Geoff79
19-08-2017, 12:03am
Ball head is essential, imo.

One of the main things I look for in a tripod is a good weighty thing. It may not be as easy to carry around as a feather tripod (a what?!), but I find any extra weight is a great bonus when shooting in strong wind or moving water, or any trying conditions.

I had a manfrotto one for a long time (sorry I have no model numbers or anything on me) and adored the thing. I think I also got it for around $140. Unfortunately, through my own carelessness, the head connection to the camera got too eroded and became almost (but still not completely) unusable. Definitely not reliable enough to take on a holiday or something.

And that'd be my number one tip if you invest in a good tripod. If you take it in salt water, or on the coast where there is salt around... wash that thing with fresh water. I wish I had.

Anyway, I had to get a new one and quickly found out I couldn't get anything like what I had before for $140. I ended up paying almost double that, I think it was in the end, and went with a Promaster one... again, got no model number.

It's a good tripod and folds up real nice and small... which is great for travel. Legs go to all angles. It's nice, but I still prefer my old Manfrotto. Easier to use. This has screwing legs, whereas Manfronto had clips, which I prefer.

And I just WD40'd it last week, but it's been really stiff and difficult recently... probably me not taking proper care of it again. [emoji853]

Anyway, that's my two cents. It is definitely worthwhile to spend a bit of money to get a good tripod. But be sure to take good care of it too.

Oh, and this has bugged me since I bought it. The Promaster tripod didn't come with a carry bag!! Is this even legal? ;) I was always going to contact them and let them know how terrible I thought that was. Is it their thing not to do that, or did I get unlucky with a dodgy item? Thankfully I still have my Manfrotto bag, but it struck me as ludicrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plays With Light
19-08-2017, 1:25pm
I'm not a spendthrift, so I always try to do things the most economically as is possible, but I don't go the cheapest route either.

I have a quite heavy Benro Aluminium/Magnesium tripod, and have never had any issues with movement or vibration whatsoever, but I never raise its centre section either. One thing others haven't mentioned as yet is to avoid getting legs with umpteen dozen sections to them. The more joins in the legs, the more movement and vibration you are going to get. Also make sure the legs are nice and thick for added stability.

In regard of heads, get the type that you need, I went through several expensive ball-heads before realising they weren't what I actually needed. I have a Manfrotto three way geared head, for my architecture and macro mainly, but it's also very handy for my landscapes too. I loathe ball-heads, you can never get them absolutely level and have to do that in post production, thus deteriorating your image from the outset. With my geared-head I usually am within a half a degree or so of being true by using the level bubbles on it and my camera as a guide.

So, my suggestions are:

Don't skimp on buying a cheapie, but don't overlook the alternatives to the known brands at half to two thirds the cost.
Keep the leg joints to a minimum
Get nice thick legs
Get the right type of head for your needs

Every cent you save can always go towards more photographic matters.

Cage
19-08-2017, 4:09pm
I don't know whether I'd buy another ball-head or go for a panning base and a monopod tilt head instead, even though you only have horizontal and vertical adjustment with no tilt adjustment unless you adjust your tripod legs.

eg a Feisol PB-90 panning base with a load capacity of 38kg for $US69.95, and a Kirk Monopod Head with a load capacity of 36kg for $US199.00, all up about $AU340.00. To get that carrying capacity in a ballhead puts you in the $550.00 + price range.

arthurking83
20-08-2017, 2:30pm
With tripod you have to determine three requirements set out in an order of priority.

1. the most important point is what's your intended use?
Even a $50 cheap plastic tripod is as useful as a multi thousand dollar sachtler tripod.
Even tho they don't compare in terms of ability, the cheapy freebie you may get off ebay as part of an extra package when you buy something else can still be useful.

eg. if you were shooting landscapes with a super lightweight mirrorless system and an extremely short focal length(eg. 7mm) having the best tripod is actually a bit of a waste!

OTOH!! if you want super high magnification macro images shot with a dodgy SLR type camera known for it's inability to contain mirrorslap(or shutter slap in a mirrorless system), then having the most rigid multi thousand dollar tripod is about the only way to go.

2. price! no point is wanting the best tripod money can buy coz it's going to cost you over $10K .. and that could be the fluid head alone! .. add a couple more for the legs.
A reasonable price point for a known good tripod will be in the $600 range for a carbon version(highly recommended) or closer to half that for a aluminium version. That should include a usable ball head.
And also note that this is one aspect where size does matter. Bigger is always better (for a given manufacturer tho).

3. Size, weight, portability, etc.
There's no point having a massive tripod built like a boulder if your purpose is to travel by plane, or hike into the places you want to go too.
On the flip side, a tripod too small for the task is probably going to disappoint as well.

ivans75
27-08-2017, 3:33pm
Finally got myself a very nice manfrotto xpro4 with xpro ball head, geez that thing is not cheap but boy the build quality is second to none. Love it. Heading to cape schank next week for landscape practice

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got myself a very nice manfrotto xpro4 with xpro ball head, geez that thing is not cheap but boy the build quality is second to none. Love it. Heading to cape schank next week for landscape practice
manfrotto 190xpro4 with xpro 3 ball head

robz
27-08-2017, 8:23pm
Hope the weather fines up a bit. Its cold and wet down here today