PDA

View Full Version : Photographic location suggestions & any exhibits/festivals in Aug in Sydney and regional NSW?

Claire M
23-07-2017, 1:02pm
Hi Forum Folk, :) As I'll be visiting Sydney and rural/coastal NSW during thefirst 2 weeks of Aug, I was wondering what photography or art exhibits, will be happening, (and where abouts) and if there are any Festivals happening this time of year.
We (Baz, my partner, and me) will be hiring a Campervan and planning on travelling from Sydney down to Eden via the coast, and to Vic border and then back to Sydney, and possibly through the Blue Mountains, heading north up the Castlereagh Hwy, through Mudgee and on to Newcastle, then South eastward to Port Macquarie and down to the Central Coast (visiting my Mum), and eventually back to Sydney for a few days.
Also, If you know of any particularly scenic or places ofinterest (buildings, historic or even quirky stuff) worth photographing anywhere on these suggested routes, (and of any good rest areas or cheap camping grounds), please let me know as I'll be travelling to some of these places for the first time. :D

Gazza
23-07-2017, 1:13pm
through Mudgee and on to Newcastle........and of any good rest areas or cheap camping grounds
Better hope that Mark L doesn't read that :grinning01: :grinning01:

RACV or your WA counterparts have a great book when it comes to camp/rest areas :url: (https://www.mapworld.com.au/products/camps-9-australia-wide-spiral-bound?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=91207012&gclid=Cj0KCQjw78vLBRCZARIsACr4cxx8C0A9pEDxCLd1SoavcMiK_9Ld7hoJkaSvbGC2mx1mhmq-nQD1aj8aAncPEALw_wcB)

Cheers - :beer_mug:

Claire M
23-07-2017, 1:19pm
Thanks Gazza :th3:, and I'll have a look at the link soon!

ameerat42
23-07-2017, 1:41pm
That sounds like a v. nice trip, C M.

The Blue Mts area is sure worth a look. The place at Katoomba is called Echo Point.
You park (and PAY for it) and you can also do some walks - about an hour each. Expect there
to be 1000000000s of tourists, but...

There is another feature there: Scenic World (http://www.scenicworld.com.au/), which, if you're interested in rides...
Well, if you are, go there and park ALL DAY, included the price of the ticket. You can get off at one of the ride destinations
and walk a little to Echo Point, then return to SW. Also, the rides are unlimited.

If you do all this on a non-weekend/school holiday, you can keep "far from the madding crowd"(s).

After you've seen that, but may want to see another view of the BMs, turn off to Evan's Lookout.
There's also the Govetts Leap Lookout, but you may be looked-out by then:confused013

I could rattle of a 12 or so spots along the way to Mudgee along the GWH and C'reagh Hwy, but...
only one other, since you'll be passing it, is Pearce's Lookout over the Capertee Valley.

For staying at Mudgee, there's a Big 4 van park (a turnoff) just before the town, as well as a couple of
other van parks. And if you're into wine tasting, there's heaps of that. There's also... [heaps else but
you'd need heaps of time]. The drive to Newcastle from there will take you through some quite picturesque
country, and if you wanted to idle along a few extra 10s of Ks, go through Lue and the Bylong Valley.

If I can, I will add some more later...

Claire M
23-07-2017, 1:55pm
Thanks for all your info and advice AM :), and yes it would be good to avoid the crowds if possible.
It's been many years since I have been to the Blue Mts, so I'm presuming that there's been a lot of changes since then!

Glenda
23-07-2017, 2:05pm
I've found Wiki Camps a great app about free camps and caravan parks while travelling.

Ionica
23-07-2017, 2:09pm
The Elvis Festival is on in Katoomba from 3rd to 6th, august, at various venues, with a mix of events, some free.

https://bluemountainselvisfestival.com.au/elvis-festival-program/

The Capertee Valley and surrounding area is very scenic, and also a good spot for birds, if you are interested.

http://www.bmbirding.com.au/valley.html

Also - the Blue Mountains Cultural Centre ( Katoomba ) has an exhibition of the National Photog. Portrait Prize 2017.

http://bluemountainsculturalcentre.com.au/blue-mountains-art-gallery/current-exhibitions/
Hope this is of use.

Claire M
23-07-2017, 7:20pm
Thanks Glenda, and Ionica for your links as to what's happening in the Blue Mts area. :) Very helpful!

Mark L
23-07-2017, 7:55pm
Thanks for all your info and advice AM :), and yes it would be good to avoid the crowds if possible.

So forget Echo bloody tourists Point.
I think the back view of the Three Sisters is much more awe inspiring from Lincoln's Rock https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/''/Lincoln's+Rock/@-33.7396428,150.3194343,12.25z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b126f38b94b0d8b:0x3484cfcf2217142b!2m2!1d150.372104!2d-33.7401395
It's one of the better views I think.

And on the way to Mudgee it's actually Pearson's Lookout just before Capertee that AM referred to https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Pearsons+Lookout+Over+Capertee+Valley/@-33.1728262,149.992709,14.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b0de675f99b5ec9:0x2a27e07742807b91!8m2!3d-33.1677086!4d149.9987073

Of cause I know a bird that is a wonder of nature that's worth visiting close to my home.:D

Claire M
23-07-2017, 11:13pm
Thanks Mark for your valued info and links as well. I'll have a good look at those too! :D

If there's any one from any of the coastal towns south of Wollongong, that has any photographic location suggestions or handy info re the south coast, please let me know. :)

ameerat42
24-07-2017, 10:54am
...And on the way to Mudgee it's actually Pearson's Lookout just before Capertee that AM referred to...
:Doh:f c:Doh:urse it is!!!

(Too much radiation!)

db3348
26-07-2017, 3:06pm
Claire, some suggestions for photogenic and / or historic locations south from Sydney to Eden :

. . . any of the coastal towns south of Wollongong, that has any photographic location suggestions . . .

South of Wollongong is Kiama, several photo-worthy areas :

Minnamurra rainforest (about 3 km north-west of Kiama), Minnamurra Falls, and Jamberoo region ;

Kiama Lighthouse and "Little Blowhole", Pilot's Cottage museum ;

Kiama Heights - hinterland of Kiama - beautiful rolling green hills and Saddleback Mountain lookout over Illawarra regions ;

Bombo - eroded remains of former quarry with many dramatically interesting rock formations ;

Further south, just before Nowra - turn right just after Berry - and inland is Bellawongarah, Cambewarra, Kangaroo Valley, Barren Grounds, Fitzroy Falls ; historic bridge at Kangaroo Valley

After Nowra, bit off Princes Hwy is Jervis Bay with beautiful beaches such as Huskisson, Vincentia, Hyams ;

. . . travelling from Sydney down to Eden via the coast, and to Vic border . . .

Between Narooma and Eden :

About 10 kms s. of Narooma is Mystery Bay, quiet little hamlet with nice beach ;

Further on, turn off Princes Highway to go through Wallaga Lake, and Bermagui, look for Camel Rock and Horsehead Rock ;
then Mimosa Rocks National Park, Tathra, Pambula and Merimbula

Claire M
27-07-2017, 12:53am
Thank you db, much appreciated for all your suggestions!, and I'll be sure to check out some of these!
So looking forward to travelling again, away from the wet & wintery Western side of Aus! :D