PDA

View Full Version : Reducing lens flaring

David Kembrey
24-07-2008, 8:20pm
Hope some helpful people out there might know how to reduce lens flaring on at sunrise and sunset. Recently took some photos at sunrise and zoomed in to get a nice full, round big sun and then reviewed the photos and noticed a fair amount of flaring

any suggestions

cheers

david

ricktas
24-07-2008, 8:23pm
Use lens hood whenever possible, or use something else to hold outside the view of the lens, but to shade the front glass (even your hand can work at times).

Lens flare occurs usually when the sun is in the frame or just outside it. Some lenses are better at controlling flare than others, so its worthwhile trying another lens as well.

David Kembrey
24-07-2008, 8:27pm
Thanks for that Rick, might try and jerry rig something. Maybe a sheet of card with a rubber band to hold it in place. I was shooting directly into the sun as well trying to get that magic large sun rising over water effect.

Any ideas how I might be able to reduce it in PS

brindyman
24-07-2008, 8:30pm
Any ideas how I might be able to reduce it in PS

select the sun and decrease contrast

or you could burn it but i dunno how that would come out

David Kembrey
24-07-2008, 8:32pm
Thanks, might have a play this weekend

arthurking83
24-07-2008, 8:54pm
I notice that lens flare is sometimes inconsistent when using a particular lens.
Lens flare is 99.9% dependent on th elens used.
Some flare more than others, and there are a few(that I have) that sometimes do, and sometimes don't.
It's a very rare lens that doesn't flare when pointed directly at a light source.. consumer level lenses are worse(usually) and then again soem well known pro lenses are prone to it.
Try it with different lenses, and see which one is less prone.

eg. sometimes my Sigma10-20mm does and other times it doesn't(this is my most inconsistent lens flare culprit) The angle you decide to shoot at, position of the sun in the frame the elevation of the sun at the time.. all make a difference.

Most of all make sure you don't have any filters on th efront of the lens for protection!! I sometimes shoot with my Cokins on, directly into the sun, or only just in the frame.. Sometimes there's flare and other times it's clean.
One lens that is darstadly to shoot with in this situation is my 18-35mm Nikon. Wil flare no matter what!.. so I suse that lens when flare is required.

next time try to position yourself around in a variety of locations, and the camera up/down, and looking this way and that way. It all helps, if only to minimise it.. not totally eliminate it.