PDA

View Full Version : Tripod recommendation for extreme cold conditions

sufran
29-04-2017, 6:52am
I will be heading to Abisko, Sweden later in the year to hopefully take some aurora pictures. Temperatures will be around -11c with the occasional snow showers. I am looking for recommendations for a lightweight (for ease of transport) tripod and head that can handle the extreme cold. The issue seems to be that metal tripods break easily in the extreme cold. There are so many tripods to choose from, with such a large range of prices, that I really don't know what to get. Recommendations backed by experience would be much appreciated!

Brian500au
29-04-2017, 1:18pm
I have used tripods in the snow in the Arctic circle and in the rain and sleet in the US. From my own experience I have used a carbon fibre tripod with LensCoat tripod leg covers. The latter is a must as carbon fibre still gets very cold when out in the weather for a while. You also need to get yourself a good set of mittens where you can remove the finger cap to still allow you to use your camera controls.

As for the ball head - once again I can only say what I have used but in my case Markins, Arca Swiss, and RRS all build quality ball heads that will survive Arctic temperatures. My personal preference in tripods is Gitzo but I also have a Benro travel tripod I am happy with. I prefer tripods without a centre column but these are difficult to find as a travel tripod.

if you PM me I would be happy to send you a spreadsheet I did a couple of years ago where I compared specifications of a few different brands for my own reference when I bought the Benro.

nardes
29-04-2017, 4:43pm
In addition to Brian’s comments above, you might also consider the Gitzo snow shoes (I have the Giottos ones) which might be useful in stabilizing the tripod legs in deep snow.

Alternatively, you could use a set of 3 tent pole protectors from a camping shop, the disadvantage being that they will not screw into the tripod legs like the Gitzo units.

Cheers

Dennis

Nick Cliff
30-04-2017, 4:13pm
One thing that might be worthwhile is waiting for the black Friday sales I think they call them in the USA. A professional quality carbon fiber tripod I purchased was half price with transport from a large online store, may be OK if you do not think warranty problems may occur, personally I buy locally for warranty reasons myself,

cheers Nick

sufran
01-05-2017, 6:50am
Thanks for the detailed response! I have sent you a PM. Cheers.