PDA

View Full Version : Camera Recommendation for Nepal

bmarchant
10-02-2017, 12:46pm
I am an amateur photographer and have only really experimented with action filing using a gopro. I am doing some trekking in Nepal in April and really want a camera to take some good quality photos. Being a once in a life time experience, I'd really like to come away with some quality photos, so am hoping for advice on a good camera out there for someone with no professional photographer experience. I know canon has some reasonably priced compact cameras such as the PowerShot SX720 HS, so some feedback on these would be appreciated, or any other suggestions.

Thank you for your advice in advance :)

ricktas
10-02-2017, 12:59pm
Hi

The first thing you need to know is that a good camera, will not take good photos. Photography is about 80% the person behind the camera knowing what they are doing. I would suggest you spend the time between now and April learning about how a camera works, what each setting does, and how to compose for good photographs. You could buy a good quality camera from any of the major (or minor) camera brands and it is quite capable of getting excellent results. But if you do not understand what settings are needed, then the photos will not be great..even on a $10,000 camera.

Harsh, maybe, but this is the reality. Buying a $15,000 bike, does not make you an olympian. Buying a good camera, does not make you a photographer.

bmarchant
10-02-2017, 1:16pm
Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Agree 100%, keen to get a camera asap so I have the time to experiment and get to know all the in's and outs of the camera's settings and functions.

I am hoping for some advice to point me in the right direction in terms of a product. Looking for a user friendly camera for someone starting out who doesn't have a professional photography background, but has the capacity to zoom and capture true to perspective photos, particularly landscapes. Since we will be trekking, a lightweight or compact camera would be ideal.

Appreciate advice from someone who has possibly done some trekking and their experience.

Fettator
10-02-2017, 1:45pm
I took a Canon Powershot G9 to Cambodia twice, was there for 2 weeks each time . I couldn't fault it and it took superb shots for slightly higher that 'happy snaps'. No issues with humidity and you can put it away in your pocket/pack and not have it dangling around your neck. It did downpour but some basic 'shielding' worked well.

Going back soon and taking it again :D:cool:

GB

MissionMan
10-02-2017, 1:55pm
I think probably first think you need to decide is how seriously you intend to take this. i.e. if you buy a good camera now, is it going to be used for anything more than snapshots or basic holiday photos? The challenge with with the Powershot SX720 is that is where you stop. I.e. if you want to do anything more, you have to replace the camera. You can't upgrade the lenses progressively or do anything more than that camera offers.

The second thing is a defined budget. If you have $2k to spend, the recommendations are going to be different to $1K.

If you don't know, I would invest in a cheap system that will progressively allow you to move up as your skill progresses and then upgrade your lenses and camera accordingly so you minimise your initial investment.

If you know that this is something you want to take more seriously, the difference is no so much the body you buy now, but how much you invest in the lenses. The body can be fairly basic, but the lenses are what makes the difference between a photo that looks good and a photo that looks like it was taken on an iPhone.

So if you don't know what you intend doing and you want something that is good, but not spectacular, you could invest in a small mirrorless camera like a Fuji XA3 with a kit lens or an Olympus Pen or similar (Sony, Panasonic, there are heaps of mirrorless interchangeable cameras). This will get you into about a $800 or about $1000 if you get them as a dual lens kit. The photos will still be good enough to impress people (i can show you samples from the XA3 my mum just got) and the camera should last you for a while without feeling like its really holding you back. They have auto modes, along with scenes (portrait, landscape etc) so you can take photos without knowing much, but you can push them into manual to start learning the ropes by adjusting individual settings. This means the camera will move as your progression changes.

If you know this is going to be something you take more seriously, you could spend a little more on the body (not sure if it would be practical unless you have a bit more to spend) and get a better lens, but I would personally recommend a better lens or set of lenses because they will have more impact on your photos than upgrading the camera. That is of course if it's within budget.

ameerat42
10-02-2017, 2:44pm
Hi BM (I always shorten names:D).

You will not get a quick and clear-cut answer like, "Get XYZ brand and these lenses." Any such advice
at this point would be MISplaced. You won't find much of it here, and where you do find it, beware of it.
So, since you've taken the interest to enquire, we will assume some seriousness and answer accordingly.

Could you please tell us what sort of camera (system) you think you might like for such a venture?
If this is going to be a serious photographic trip, then you would tend to look at something like a
DSLR system and a couple of lenses, or perhaps a "mirrorless" system with a couple of lenses. This
is especially so if you want to continue your photography later.

If you want just a "reasonable" camera to get some "reasonable" results (though I doubt this), then
there are a range of "reasonable" fixed lens compact zoom cameras that do "everything" - except
give you the best image quality.

And don't forget, your ability and proficiency counts a lot, too. You have set yourself as "Beginner",
so I will just mention a couple of "entry level" DSLR systems that you can look up the specs for and
ask further questions about.

Better still, I won't. I will just mention two (of several) major brand names - Canon and Nikon - and give
you this link on some DSLR systems to browse through:
https://www.cnet.com/au/topics/cameras/best-digital-cameras/dslr-for-beginners/

As I said, such titles are fraught, so just look through the specs and features and see what you think.

Keep us posted.

ricktas
10-02-2017, 6:22pm
Another question.

What do you want to photograph?
]
The people of Nepal, the grand majesty of the scenery, markets, street scenes, etc?

Cause if you go the DSLR way, you could be looking at different lenses for different subjects. An alternative to the DSLR is a mirrorless camera, especially if weight and room is an issue when traveling. Tell us more about what you want to photograph, whether you want to be able to change lenses, or have a fixed lens? If weight of the gear is something to be considered?

Only by finding out more about what you want, can we start to narrow the suggestions down to something suitable.

Brian500au
10-02-2017, 7:57pm
i have trekked in Nepal and can offer advice but as others have said it will help if we know your budget. For most trekking in the Himalaya's is a once in a life time experience, and knowing what part of Nepal you plan to visit can make a difference to the recommendations.

There is some logistic problems with trekking in Nepal. Gear is heavy when trekking up mountains and batteries tend to fade fairly quickly in sub zero temperatures. March, April and May are normally good months to trek in Nepal with fairly clear skies and great panoramic views.

bmarchant
13-02-2017, 9:39am
Firstly, I just wanted to thank everyone for their time responding... really appreciate it! The opinions, suggestions and shared experiences from such knowledgeable photographers really is priceless :)

I wouldn't consider myself to be getting into photography on a serious level, but in saying that, I do appreciate impressive photo skills and am certainly looking for an upgrade from a photo that looks nothing more than 'iphone' quality.

I will be trekking to Everest Base Camp, Gokyo lakes and region on a 22 day tour. For this reason alone, I'm guessing a mirror-less camera will be more suitable for weight purposes? Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

As we will be spending most of our time at high altitude, my main subjects will be landscapes, but I do not want to rule out other subjects (people, streets, portraits) that i may come across and think they are just too good to miss. Is there a such lens or two that can cover me as an 'all rounder' or be good to start off at an entry level?

As for my budget, around $800, but would conciser spending more for the right product.

Thanks again :)

MissionMan
13-02-2017, 9:50am
I'd agree. DSLR is could be a little heavy.

On the Olympus front, you could get a Olympus Pen with a 14-42 for $899 or an Olympus OMD EM10 with the 14-42 for $850.

On Fuji the Fuji front, an XA3 with 16-55 is about $900

I don't know which models from Sony or Panasonic are the equivalents.

I'd probably recommend going into a store that sells both and see what you think of them. You may find the DSLR's are smaller than you thought and acceptable by standards, you may find that even the systems I've given you are larger than you expected. You may also feel that it comes down to something small like the feel of the camera.

ameerat42
13-02-2017, 10:29am
BM. I would stress that since it will be a rare experience, you consider a camera that is quite
capable of taking raw shots. That means you will have to process them. But as you wish to
depart from "phone-cam quality", part of which is restrictive tonal output (such as blown-out
skies and irretrievable shadows and not unusually in the same picture!!), raw imaging would seem
to me to be a priority. At least for quickish results - and you may need some extra storage for
your images - use a camera that is raw+jpeg capable. (Most are, past a certain level.)

And on storage, give a thought as to how. What else will you be taking? - A laptop or such?

bmarchant
13-02-2017, 1:47pm
Thank you for the product suggestions.. i'll look up some product reviews and specs as a good starting point :)

I think that's a good point regarding checking them out in store and testing them for size, feel etc. I find its handy to have a little back ground information before going into a store, as i find they can often just try to sell you what they have excess stock of! :P

As for storage, I wont be taking a lap top due to weight and liability. I do have a 'my passport' hard drive, which I can insert a memory card into and transfer directly to the hard drive. This also connects to my phone via wifi so i can view the images. I used this last year during my travels across Europe to transfer go pro footage.. worked really well as I wasn't weighed down with a laptop.

kwaal
13-02-2017, 2:49pm
Hi,
The first SLR I purchased was for a trip to Nepal and that would be my choice (although I don't have knowledge about other options). Appreciate the comments above about weight but personally I would manage it. Train carrying the weight. Also think about how you are going to carry the camera and ease of access. You don't want to have to stop to get it out and put away all the time. Although the landscapes are amazing you may also find lots of opportunities for people shots. Some great villages along the way. I tend to stick with an 18-200mm which gives me good general use. I have a 10-18mm in my pack (which is light weight) but tend to only use when I am at camp. I also carry a spare compact camera just in case. Have a great trip!

Morgo
14-02-2017, 6:55pm
I'd grab a 2nd hand Fuji kit.

A Fuji XT-1 with battery grip and 18-55 lens could be had around the $1000. Its compact, light weight, has the features you want for a good camera, articulating screen for lots of landscape shots (the built in pano mode is handy too), the XT-1 also has good weather sealing.

swifty
16-02-2017, 6:46pm
Some thoughts for your consideration:

Weight may be an issue hence 'some' mirrorless cameras may have an advantage. This will be model dependant as there may be little difference with some of the small DSLRs.
Sensor size is probably a better determinant of overall size and bulk of the kit you end up taking. The larger your sensor size, the larger the overall kit.

Consider your battery needs. What are the intervals between access to power? So plan your spare battery needs accordingly. You will need more with mirrorless and compacts vs DSLRs.

Do you need weather sealing considerations for your kit? If so, how high a priority is this?

Will you be taking a tripod or any form of stabilisation? If not, consider the value of stabilisation either in-lens, in-camera or both. For static subjects, stabilisation on a smaller sensor system can sometimes yield better results than a non-stabilised larger sensor system.