PDA

View Full Version : DIY off camera flash suport

nardes
22-01-2017, 2:50pm
When walking in the rain forest at O'Reilly's last week, I struggled to get the flash off-camera; boulders, trees and branches were used with my camera strap lashing the flash (awkwardly) to whatever came to hand.:)

After an hour in my shed, using an 3 1/2 inch long off-cut of 1 inch aluminium angle and a couple of camping straps, I came up with this lightweight solution. I decided to use 2 straps so I could join them together for trees with a wide girth or use them singly on lesser trees.:cool:

Cheers

Dennis

Gazza
22-01-2017, 2:53pm
Clever idea - :nod:

I @ M
22-01-2017, 7:15pm
Good thinking, great solution Dennis. :th3:

And a testament to why one should never throw anything out from the shed --- ever. :D

Lizzy84
22-01-2017, 10:08pm
What a great Idea!

nardes
09-02-2017, 10:38am
I found an adjustable flash bracket in my bits and pieces box, so decided to fabricate Model #2 of my flash mounting accessory.:)

Improvements:

Aluminium angle bracket can be now fixed to e.g. a tree more firmly using the upper and lower slots.
The OEM flash bracket is adjustable.
The OEM flash bracket has a small retaining screw in the cold shoe, so that the Canon Speedlite is less likely to slip through. However, the weather sealing gasket on my Canon Speedlites also act as a physical stop to prevent the flash from sliding all the way through if the locking screw is not tightened adequately.

Cheers

Dennis

ameerat42
09-02-2017, 1:35pm
Thanks for this useful post.

nardes
09-02-2017, 2:24pm
No worried Am, I am a tinkerer by nature and I am glad to be able to share the results! I only wish I had access to metal working facilities as a lathe and/or milling machine (+operator) would come in handy sometimes, although 3D printing can also offer some very tidy solutions.:)

Cheers

Dennis