PDA

View Full Version : E-M1 Mark II - Any real world usage info?

bconolly
16-01-2017, 1:27pm
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone who has their hands on the new beast has any "real world" usage info to report? I'm particularly interested in how the continuous autofocus performs, but any insight would be interesting!

Thanks - Brenden

Filter
18-01-2017, 2:11pm
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone who has their hands on the new beast has any "real world" usage info to report? I'm particularly interested in how the continuous autofocus performs, but any insight would be interesting!

Thanks - Brenden
Got my hands on one while away on holidays, just a quick hold & play. First impressions were that I'll need my glasses for most of the functions, small body smaller icons. Feels good. It had a hair trigger between focus & shot, I would look into wether the sensitivity can be adjusted?? I have one wait for me in the shop after holidays, can't wait.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ross the fiddler
18-01-2017, 2:43pm
I have to wait & maybe my better half will allow one for Christmas (2107). So that means to me, if a special comes up later in the year then that means I should go for it. ;)

There are other users (at least one I know of) here with the Mk II. I had the chance to hold one at Camera House in Penrith (NSW) & all it did was give me GAS! :D It will be welcome if I can get one. :nod:

Filter
18-01-2017, 4:58pm
I have to wait & maybe my better half will allow one for Christmas (2107). So that means to me, if a special comes up later in the year then that means I should go for it. ;)

There are other users (at least one I know of) here with the Mk II. I had the chance to hold one at Camera House in Penrith (NSW) & all it did was give me GAS! :D It will be welcome if I can get one. :nod:
2107?? Not sure we will have cameras then...lol. Sorry.

Ross the fiddler
18-01-2017, 5:41pm
2107?? Not sure we will have cameras then...lol. Sorry.

Where is that stupid edit facility? :o :hb:

Hopefully I can have it for Christmas 2017 (all being well). :rolleyes:

Mary Anne
18-01-2017, 11:16pm
Where is that stupid edit facility? :o :hb:

Ross it's there for one hour, trying after that then you have missed the boat, and not worth beating yourself around the head :D
If that is the case then on the left under your post click on that triangle >*Report Post* and ask a mod to fix it for you.

Ross the fiddler
18-01-2017, 11:53pm
Ross it's there for one hour, trying after that then you have missed the boat, and not worth beating yourself around the head :D
If that is the case then on the left under your post click on that triangle >*Report Post* and ask a mod to fix it for you.

Thanks Mary Anne. It's just a very short time to what I'm used to elsewhere. :rolleyes: It can stay that way now though & I'll save my real head & keep cool. :D

bconolly
21-01-2017, 7:37pm
Got my hands on one while away on holidays, just a quick hold & play. First impressions were that I'll need my glasses for most of the functions, small body smaller icons. Feels good. It had a hair trigger between focus & shot, I would look into wether the sensitivity can be adjusted?? I have one wait for me in the shop after holidays, can't wait.

Good stuff I'll be interested to hear what you reckon! I read a good comparison today that basically puts the AF tracking for moving targets at about D7100 level which would be fine for me. Interestingly enough their real world outcomes yielded about a 15-20% keeper rate over the EM-1. I've lost the link but if I can find it again I'll post it here.

bconolly
21-01-2017, 7:39pm

Thanks Ross. I'm in the same boat. I'd really like to get the whole second battery + grip + cash back deal I got with the EM-1 (and I think you may have as well). Dunno if we'll see that or similar this year though!

Ross the fiddler
21-01-2017, 7:53pm
Thanks Ross. I'm in the same boat. I'd really like to get the whole second battery + grip + cash back deal I got with the EM-1 (and I think you may have as well). Dunno if we'll see that or similar this year though!

I got my E-M1 with a $300 cash back 6 months later which was just as good. I'm not sure we will get the same deals somehow, but here's hoping all the same.

bconolly
22-01-2017, 7:39am
Here's one review that's interesting: https://photofocus.com/2017/01/21/update-on-the-olympus-om-d-e-m1-mk-ii-micro-four-thirds-camera/

John King
28-01-2017, 7:35pm
Interesting thanks, but he obviously doesn't realize that the 1/2 lever changes the purpose of the front/ rear wheels to ISO/WB by default ...

Ross the fiddler
23-06-2017, 8:52am
I ended up going for a good price on the E-M1 Mk II from Ryda this month, but there are even better deals around now, especially from an Adelaide online/shopfront store with a further 10% off this week. It's getting to the end of the financial year with some good prices if your prepared to do a web search of all the known good sellers. I'll get the bonus free SD card worth $150 from Olympus (can be bought from one good supplier in Sydney for $100), so I'm pretty happy, but isn't it always the way? The better deals show up after buying! :rolleyes:

So far I'm very impressed with my Mk II over the Mk I, although I intend to use both when needed (12-60 SWD lens on the Mk I & the longer focal lengths like the 40-150 Pro lens on the Mk II). The E-M5 might end up with a 8mm body cap lens on it yet. ;) I really like the quiet mechanical shutter in the Mk II with its floating mount they used.

John King
23-06-2017, 8:36pm
Congrats Ross.

It is a very capable and complex beastie.

I keep my E-M1 MkI with the 12-50 macro or 14-42 EZ pancake on it. Also have a 40-150R for small and light and long.