PDA

View Full Version : Light box for product shots - removing wrinkles

Loquah
13-01-2017, 3:26pm
My wife and I use a collapsible white light box for our various product photography requirements, but the removable lining of the box (runs up the back and over the bottom) is wrinkled. It's synthetic so I don't think ironing is an option. Does anyone know how to remove the wrinkles?

ameerat42
13-01-2017, 3:36pm
Hi Loquah. Any chance you can post up a pic of this?

mudman
13-01-2017, 4:26pm
replace it with a cotton one that can be ironed
just because it's synthetic doesn't mean it can't be ironed with a warm iron

ricktas
13-01-2017, 7:07pm
have you tried steaming it? Put it on the ironing board, make sure it is flat, cover with a damp towel, then iron over the towel

Loquah
13-01-2017, 9:13pm
Great ideas. Thanks everyone! I'll start with the wet towel and iron and go from there...

Ross M
13-01-2017, 9:26pm
I also try to store these background pieces rolled up on a rod of some sort such as dowel or conduit. I'm still refining how o secure them because rubber bands can be too tight and cause wrinkles at those points. This approach makes it harder to keep the kit together in one place, however.

MissionMan
13-01-2017, 11:07pm
Other option is to buy some white, black etc cardboard and replace it. I tend to prefer using cardboard (non-shiny) because it's cheap and stays clean.

farmmax
14-01-2017, 12:31am
For holding rolls of cloth together, try some velcro wrist bands, straps or cable identifiers. If you can't find any commercial ones they are easily made. I bought a packet of multicoloured ones at the Reject shop a few years ago There are plenty on Ebay.

arthurking83
14-01-2017, 12:33am
I also try to store these background pieces rolled up on a rod of some sort such as dowel or conduit. ....

I did a small job for my sister a while back, and used a lightbox she had.
All the (synthetic)sheets that came with it were creased.

I put them under my bed(between the mattress and base) to smooth them out.
Actually didn't even occur to me to 'iron them' .. in fact ironing anything has never occurred to me .. so, lucky for me, I work having ironed shirts and pants isn't frowned upon(or common! :D)

I found that the white one was easy to deal with the creases in PP.
The mid grey and black ones seemed to be a little harder to deal with(other than cropping the shiny parts out). On review I had to reshoot many of the darker background images where I didn't leave myself room to crop.

After my couple of experiments in trying product photography(only as love jobs mind you) .. I reckon the cardboard comment is the best option too.
That's what I'd try next time.

Loquah
24-01-2017, 5:11pm
Other option is to buy some white, black etc cardboard and replace it. I tend to prefer using cardboard (non-shiny) because it's cheap and stays clean.
Thanks MissionMan - good idea! I have some other, heavier fabrics I use for the base and those work well too, but are too heavy for the sides.