PDA

View Full Version : Seven Days in Tassie - Where to Photograph?

rexboggs5
11-01-2017, 1:15pm
A friend and I are hiring a campervan from 23 January to 30 January, with our main purpose being photography, especially landscape photography. Due to insurance restrictions on the campervan plus our lack of experience in driving such a vehicle, we prefer to stay on paved roads.

What are some of the must-see locations we should go to during this week? We are arriving to and departing from Launceston.

Thanks and Cheers

Rex

Kym
11-01-2017, 1:39pm
Tassie is very small, you can drive you side to the other in a day...

East coast -- lots of opportunities (Bicheno, Coles bay etc.)
Cradle Mtn/Lake St Clair in the middle
West coast - lots of great spots

Just about anywhere has photo ops.

Ask ricktas;

rexboggs5
11-01-2017, 2:36pm
Thanks, Kym. So much to see, so little time!

We are hoping the lavender fields in the north are still looking great on the 23rd/24th.

How are the waterfalls in January? One website said that July to October are best due to winter rains.

The Tessellated Pavement near Eagleneck Neck is on our list.

And Cradle Mountain reflected in a lake/pond, if it doesn't entail too much walking.

We are starting to put together an itinerary.

Cheers

Rex

ameerat42
11-01-2017, 4:04pm
We did just :o of 4000K in 2 weeks:D
BTW, doesn't "Cradle Mt" mean "lots of walking"?

Grant S
11-01-2017, 4:20pm
In additoin to the ones above:

Feycinet Penisular/Wineglass Bay/Coles Bay, its worth taking the Freycinet experience walk.
Richmond for 18th century architecture and some great scenery
Strahan and Macquarie Harbour in the west.
Devonport and the north coast through to Penguin and Smithton
Walls of Jeruselem (If you are into trekking. This you can only get to with LOTS of walking)

The view of Cradle Mt behind Dove lake is a very short walk from the car park but the loop walk to the base of the mountain and back is about 2-3 hours depending on your pace and how many times you stop for photos, though if you are quick you can do the circuit in about an hour without stops. The classic shot of Cradle Mountain includes the old boatshed on the western shore of Dove Lake which is a shorter 5 min walk (one way).

rexboggs5
11-01-2017, 4:42pm
Thanks Ameerat and Grant

Many thanks for the suggestions. My friend is unable to walk very far or very fast so we are looking for locations that she can access, or short walks (say 1/2 hour each way) where she photographs near the car and I do the walk, take some snaps, and return.

Cheers, Rex

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Sue and I have a Pinterest page for Photographing Tassie -
https://au.pinterest.com/suek5/australia-tas-photography/

We do this for every place we hope to visit.

Rex

ameerat42
11-01-2017, 4:48pm
In that case I think (relying HEAVily on memory) you may get the type pf shot not far (within the half hour)
of the reception centre. I was thinking of a walk to Marion's Lookout. It is LONG one way, and the SHORTCUT
BACK is near VERTical, and is negotiated with chains part of the way. That would not be good for your friend.

(Aside: a multi-park pass (if they still have them) is a good way to save on entry fees.)

rexboggs5
11-01-2017, 5:45pm
Thanks Ameerat, I'll investigate this.

- - - Updated - - -

I am interested in photographing Tassie waterfalls but am not confident that there will be lots and lots of water flowing in late January.

What are the waterfalls like currently? And in Tassie, does this depend more on the season, or does it rely more on a good drenching a few days before? For example, Yosemite National Park was very seasonal (gushing in April and May due to snow melt) but could get a reasonable flow in the days following a good rainfall.

Warbler
11-01-2017, 6:05pm
There are lots of spots on the West Coast starting with Stanley in the north, down through Hellyer Gorge, and on the old road, Tullah (where I worked on the Hydro) tp Roseberry, and down to Zeehan and Queenstown. The new road is west of there and you can also do Strahan from Queenstown or Zeehan. Great old architecture in Zeehan and Queenstown, and a good mining museum in Zeehan. Used to do the best toasted sandwiches on the West Coast too. Have a beer at the Hotel Cecil across the road. Climbing up out of Queenstown, you'll head into the wild rivers country, although the road has changed since I used to travel it every weekend. You'll find Lake St Clair with its lodges and friendly wildlife on this section. A couple of easy walks there. Pass through Derwent Bridge and on towards New Norfolk but turn off to the right towards Strathgordon and Bushy. Some nice areas through there and some easy to reach waterfalls. The temperate rainforests right through to this area are fantastic and you might even enjoy some macro stuff on the fungi. You can't go wrong here. When you go up the east coast, head into a place called Binnalong Bay for a look. If you find a Canon Lens Cap there, bring it back because it's mine. There was a private wildlife park up there on the East Coast as I recall. Can't remember the name but had some great aviary birds and a few wedgetails as well. Cataract Gorge in Launceston is worth a look too.

ricktas
11-01-2017, 7:59pm
It may be small but there is no way you can see anywhere near all the state in 7 days.

Port Arthur
Mt Field national park (Russell Falls)
and if you continue on from Mt field and go to places like Strathgordon and beyond, you will get to see the tallest dam in the southern hemisphere (Gordon Dam) and Lake Pedder. You can also turn off on the way (but unsealed road) and drive to Scott's Peak inside the South West World Heritage Wilderness.
Cockle Creek and then a 2 1/2 hour walk to South Cape Bay - As far south as you can go in Australia.
Hartz Mountains national park
Richmond - oldest bridge and church in Australia
Peppermint Bay Cruise (from Hobart down the Derwent, past salmon farms, nesting sea eagles)
Any of the Pennicott cruises -The one from Port Arthur back to Eagle Hawk Neck is amazing. So is the one that goes around Bruny Island.
MONA - Museum of Old and New Art - voted best museum in the world.
Ross - second oldest bridge in Australia
East Coast - above what is listed above, go to Bay of Fires. It was listed as the best national park in the world about 3 years ago.
Narawntapu National Park - amazing place, LOTS of wombats
Stanley- The Nut
Queenstown - Lunar landscapes
West Coast Wilderness Railway- steam train ride into the wilderness
Strahan- voted best small town in the world recently ( boat trips down the famous Franklin River into the South West Wilderness
The Bledestowe Estate Lavender farm - call them to see if they are open - largest lavender farm in the world
Oatlands - Australia's only wind mill operated flour mill - it is also the oldest windmill in Australia
Mt Wellington - sunrise is best for photos of the sun coming up over the city - bring your winter wear - even in summer it can get to - (minus) 10 or lower at the pinnacle (eg - its 17 degrees in Hobart right now, but 20 minute ride to the pinnacle, and its -3.7)
Buckland - church has the oldest stain glass window in the southern hemisphere- the window is from about the 13th century, and was shipped from the UK.

rexboggs5
12-01-2017, 6:39am
Warbler - Thanks for this comprehensive post. We will definitely be returning to Tassie sooner rather than later as there is so much to photograph. I have a caravan being built at the moment so Tassie will be on the must-go list once we take possession. Our big job now is deciding what to see this time and what to leave until the next trip.

Cheers, Rex

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Rick, for such an amazing list - very comprehensive and very detailed. We'll have to choose some locations for this trip and keep the rest for our next (longer) visit.

Cheers, Rex

Warbler
12-01-2017, 1:54pm
Warbler - Thanks for this comprehensive post. We will definitely be returning to Tassie sooner rather than later as there is so much to photograph. I have a caravan being built at the moment so Tassie will be on the must-go list once we take possession.

HatetogiveyouafrightRex,butcheckthepriceongettingyourcaravanontheSpirit.It'snotascheapasitusedtobe...!

rexboggs5
12-01-2017, 3:33pm
Yes, I've heard it is dear. So need to come for longer to justify the cost :-)

ricktas
12-01-2017, 4:23pm
Yes, I've heard it is dear. So need to come for longer to justify the cost :-)

and be prepared for our fuel prices. At present it is about $1.50 a litre...

rexboggs5
12-01-2017, 5:34pm
Good thing Tassie is so small :). Prices are similar in Melbourne...

ameerat42
12-01-2017, 5:38pm
As you need to do for anywhere you go these days, take lots of cash with you to pull out and throw about
with each step you take:D:D or :(:(, whichever may apply:confused013. When it comes to it, you can never
have too much:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jules
12-01-2017, 7:54pm
We spent 10 days in Tassie last year and it wasn't nearly enough time - I can't wait to go back.

My favourite photos from the trip were taken at Dove Lake (Cradle Mountain), Horseshoe Falls (Mr Field National Park) and at the Tesselated Pavement.

Funny story - while I was photographing the Tesselated Pavement at sunrise one morning, a woman walked over and asked "What on earth are you photographing?" She seriously couldn't understand what the big deal was!

ameerat42
12-01-2017, 8:12pm
...Funny story - while I was photographing the Tesselated Pavement at sunrise one morning, a woman walked over and asked "What on earth are you photographing?" She seriously couldn't understand what the big deal was!

Did you explain to her in your best brogue that you had missed spending a night on the tiles?!!:eek:
(I'd H8 to think what she would have said at the Devil's KItchen:eek::eek:

rexboggs5
13-01-2017, 7:37am
Thanks Jules. We have been planning our trip for the last few days and I think we are trying to do too many things in the time available. I prefer to explore a place once I'm there and at the moment we are driving to a new location (or two!) every day except one. So we may have a re-think and leave some of the places until our next trip.

Cheers, Rex

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rick - Re the Bledestowe Estate Lavender farm - we called them a few days ago and they started their harvest last week. So there may or may not be any lavender left by the time we get there on the 23rd - depends on the rain. So here's hoping it rains a lot until then and then stops once we arrive :-).

Cheers

Rex