PDA

View Full Version : Long exposure Hue

hanro
05-01-2017, 7:01pm
I was doing some test shots with my ND filters and found an issue with results on some,which have a pink hue. I was using a 10 stop and 3 stop together. I have attached 2 of the photos 1 of which was a good shot and has been processed in LR and the other with the hue is unprocessed.

Is it possible that light getting into the exposed ends of the filters may have caused this. If not has anyone had this problem and is there a fix.

Advise would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Peter

ameerat42
05-01-2017, 7:13pm
Also, that pink/magenta hue seems to be localised to a central band of the frame.
Just another :confused013.

May I suggest some shots with one filter only, on a neutral, grey-cardish BG. Also, make
them with the filter(s) at different orientations over the lens. I suspect (as usual) that it's
some residual transmission through the filters.

tandeejay
05-01-2017, 7:21pm
What brand of filters?

hanro
05-01-2017, 8:17pm
Hi Tandeejay,

NISI 100mm

tandeejay
05-01-2017, 8:42pm
Did a bit of a google search for magenta band using ND filter, and the consensus seems to be it is caused by light entering in through the eye piece.

wayn0i
05-01-2017, 9:24pm
I experienced this until covering the eye piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawthy
05-01-2017, 9:50pm
Lightroom seems to have fixed it though. All hail the King Adobe, I say. ;)

hanro
06-01-2017, 8:21am
I have a D810 and the shutter was closed on the eye piece.

- - - Updated - - -

Hawthy,

Both shots were from the same spot, one with the hue and one without. The only difference was the camera angle.

Peter

AlexP
07-01-2017, 5:32pm
If the viewfinder shutter was shut it could be a problem I had years ago with filter stacking where the light would bounce around between the two filters creating weird hues. Turned out another set of filters from different manufacturer solved the issue. In fact, even mixing them (one filter from each manufacturer) eliminated 80% of it. Not sure if this is happening here as filter technology has come a long way.