PDA

View Full Version : Demand for the E-M1 MkII appears strong in OZ

Aussieden
08-11-2016, 6:19pm
despite steep price.
Just spoke to my retailer who I preordered from that they have 15 preorders so far after strong expressions of interest.

They are not sure how many units they will receive in the first shipment so cannot confirm whether all will be filled or when the exact shipment date is. But early December is still expected.
They did confirm I was in the top 3 of their order list! :D
Dennis

Nick Cliff
08-11-2016, 8:16pm
Looks an impressive upgrade for people who enjoy wildlife and sports photography.

If it turns out that this camera is not able to use a VF4 viewfinder then it would rule out macro photography for my style of photography.

Ross the fiddler
20-11-2016, 9:28pm
Looks an impressive upgrade for people who enjoy wildlife and sports photography.

If it turns out that this camera is not able to use a VF4 viewfinder then it would rule out macro photography for my style of photography.

I wish for one, but that doesn't count for demand though. :confused013

It definitely won't take the VF-4 because they have now dropped the Accessories Port (originally intended for the PEN anyhow) since the E-M5 Mk II (nor the E-M10Mk II that includes its own flash) & of course, it isn't part of the PEN-F either. That port soon became pointless & was taking up unnecessary space, except for the PEN E-PL8 that still includes it.

Filter
23-11-2016, 11:30am
My camera store man is really pushing this camera & has almost convinced me I would love it. It would mean adding full frame to my collection. I guess if I need to ask the question, what benefits am I likely to gain over my crop 7Dii? then maybe I'm not ready to switch!. I have held the M1 & I'm impressed by the compactness of it, the inbuilt 2X zoom was impressive as well so I'm thinking I could get away with two lenses. I guess the 7Dii will still be used for my footy & cricket shots & the EMii as a walk around/scapes camera. Is this concept too over the top??

Aussieden
23-11-2016, 2:56pm
My camera store man is really pushing this camera & has almost convinced me I would love it. It would mean adding full frame to my collection. I guess if I need to ask the question, what benefits am I likely to gain over my crop 7Dii? then maybe I'm not ready to switch!. I have held the M1 & I'm impressed by the compactness of it, the inbuilt 2X zoom was impressive as well so I'm thinking I could get away with two lenses. I guess the 7Dii will still be used for my footy & cricket shots & the EMii as a walk around/scapes camera. Is this concept too over the top??

The E-M1 MkII is NOT a Full Frame camera but is part of the Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera format. The sensor is actually smaller than your 7DII APS-C sensor, so in terms of sensor performance you will not gain anything.
The Micro Four Thirds sensor has x2 crop factor but has some limitations in terms of low light (noise) and dynamic range performance.
The compactness/portability of the system is its main attraction not ultimate IQ.

The E-M1 MkII is Olympus's mirrorless flagship model and an upgrade from the E-M1 and aimed at the sports/action/wildlife photographers (which is what I intend getting it for). It would be over the top to use it a walk around/landscape camera only.
There are far cheaper Micro Four Thirds cameras produced by Olympus and Panasonic with similar sensor performance more suitable for this purpose.

FWIW I am a longtime Olympus shooter and now shoot the m4/3 format exclusively using it for landscape and wildlife. The camera/lens and sensor performance is "good enough" for my purposes.
If you are interested you can see some of my E-M1 and 300mm F4 shots in this gallery:
http://dwehner.zenfolio.com/p932217077

I suggest you do some more research on the format before deciding if the system is for you.
Dennis

Ross the fiddler
23-11-2016, 4:40pm
Dennis, you certainly have lots of lovely images with the 300 F4 Pro lens. I have only just replaced my 50-200 SWD lens (due to sticky aperture blades, which was only bought used early last year) with the 40-150 F2.8 Pro lens + MC14 (1.4 X TC). The 50-200 & with the EC14 was pretty good but I decided to grab the new lens while on sale (at Cambuy). I'm still using the 12-60 SWD lens (only bought that earlier this year at a bargain price), but that 300mm lens would certainly be rather nice, although I'm considering the PanaLeica 100-400 lens when my better half can be persuaded to let me spend again. ;). I have been using Olympus gear for a while as well (since E410) & would have loved those SWD lenses when I was using the E30. Anyhow, my present 300mm is now only achievable with the M.ZD75-300 lens (or the ZD70-300). :(

Just an aside, I wonder my signature isn't showing in this post as it is further up?

Aussieden
23-11-2016, 5:12pm
Thanks Ross. Yes the 300mm F4 is very impressive and the 5 Axis Sync IS is a great addition to this lens. But pricey, the most I have ever spent on a camera or lens!
However, I look forward to pairing it with the E-M1 MkII, should be a great combo.
I also own the 40-150 F2.8 Pro lens + MC14 which I got a good deal at Cambuy. It effectively replaced my 50-200mm SWD which now resides in the cupboard neglected along with E-30/E-5 and a few other lens.
I really should dispose of my 4/3 arsenal as I cannot see me going back to that gear. Would help offset my purchases this year, which I hope will end my GAS.
Cheers
Dennis

Ross the fiddler
23-11-2016, 5:37pm
Thanks Ross. Yes the 300mm F4 is very impressive and the 5 Axis Sync IS is a great addition to this lens. But pricey, the most I have ever spent on a camera or lens!
However, I look forward to pairing it with the E-M1 MkII, should be a great combo.
I also own the 40-150 F2.8 Pro lens + MC14 which I got a good deal at Cambuy. It effectively replaced my 50-200mm SWD which now resides in the cupboard neglected along with E-30/E-5 and a few other lens.
I really should dispose of my 4/3 arsenal as I cannot see me going back to that gear. Would help offset my purchases this year, which I hope will end my GAS.
Cheers
Dennis

I bought mine when they (Cambuy) had $90 off their regular discounted price for that lens combo after their move but they have it on sale with $130 off right now (for another 4 days) which is rather a nice deal for anyone else looking to get the 40-150 F2.8 Pro lens + MC14.

Floribunda
14-12-2016, 2:58pm
I have been researching, researching, researching until my tiny brain feels fried.
Frustrated with the AF on my E-M5 for BIF I am ready to take the plunge with the E1 Mark 2. It is a big expense but would be the camera I would stick with for years (anyone heard that before?) :D
Ross and I have discussed this privately, but demand is great and nothing available in Adelaide until the new year, so I think I will sit back until them.
The Canon 7D 11 sounds perfect for my birding needs, but I really don't want to leave the Oly family and the thought of learning a different system is off-putting.

Ross the fiddler
14-12-2016, 3:38pm
I have been researching, researching, researching until my tiny brain feels fried.
Frustrated with the AF on my E-M5 for BIF I am ready to take the plunge with the E1 Mark 2. It is a big expense but would be the camera I would stick with for years (anyone heard that before?) :D
Ross and I have discussed this privately, but demand is great and nothing available in Adelaide until the new year, so I think I will sit back until them.
The Canon 7D 11 sounds perfect for my birding needs, but I really don't want to leave the Oly family and the thought of learning a different system is off-putting.

Goodonya Lyn! :D
There were a limited number being released before Christmas world wide so finding one as stock would be fairly slim this side of Christmas, I would think. Maybe, just maybe there might be a little sweetener to go with it next year.

There has been some discussion elsewhere among E-M1 Mk II owners (lucky b's) & wishful thinking owners (that's me) with the AF target size & in that discussion I showed the comparison between the E-M1 & Mk II AF grids as some were wondering why there is no Small AF target anymore & my point was that it is already smaller plus it uses PD-AF all the time (with CD-AF) & why it will be so much better now for birding, including BIF.
Anyhow, here is the comparison images.
https://www.mu-43.com/media/mk-i-mk-ii-af-adj.45050/full

Floribunda
14-12-2016, 3:51pm
I have no doubt at all Ross that the E-M1 Mk II would be fantastic for BIF. And for action sport shooting.
The latter is not my scene, so it is really the BIF shooting that I am after.
That said - I have found a couple of E-M1's about for around $1699. This could still be an option for me as I could use my 4/3rd lens.
Then the bottom line is that I would still be buying a superseded model - but it could serve my purposes AND I would have a bit of money in my pocket?
Oh - Dilemma! :D

Ross the fiddler
14-12-2016, 3:56pm
I have no doubt at all Ross that the E-M1 Mk II would be fantastic for BIF. And for action sport shooting.
The latter is not my scene, so it is really the BIF shooting that I am after.
That said - I have found a couple of E-M1's about for around $1699. This could still be an option for me as I could use my 4/3rd lens.
Then the bottom line is that I would still be buying a superseded model - but it could serve my purposes AND I would have a bit of money in my pocket?
Oh - Dilemma! :D

That is a very expensive full price for those E-M1's though (I think originally $1599). They should be much cheaper than that now! I paid $1337 for mine 2 1/2 years ago & that had a $300 cash back with it. I would not pay more than $1200 for an E-M1 now.

That $1699 price should include the 12-40 Pro lens though.

Floribunda
14-12-2016, 4:00pm
That is a very expensive full price for those E-M1's though (I think originally $1599). They should be much cheaper than that now! I paid $1337 for mine 2 1/2 years ago & that had a $300 cash back with it. I would not pay more than $1200 for an E-M1 now.

I thought it was a bit "up there" too Ross. There doesn't seem to be very many about,so perhaps that is why.
I think it is "sitting on the fence" time till the New Year. Any idea what that 'sweetener" might be?

Ross the fiddler
14-12-2016, 6:06pm
I thought it was a bit "up there" too Ross. There doesn't seem to be very many about,so perhaps that is why.
I think it is "sitting on the fence" time till the New Year. Any idea what that 'sweetener" might be?

Don't sit on the fence, see if you can place an order with a deposit (or without) to pay when in stock. That way you can look forward to it coming as soon as it is in stock. That's my 'wish it were me' response anyhow. ;)

EDIT: Like here. http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod14401.htm

Floribunda
16-12-2016, 10:17am
Don't sit on the fence, see if you can place an order with a deposit (or without) to pay when in stock. That way you can look forward to it coming as soon as it is in stock. That's my 'wish it were me' response anyhow. ;)

EDIT: Like here. http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod14401.htm

Update. OK - I jumped in. :rolleyes:
E-M1 II been shipped. Very excited. Thanks Ross for help.

Ross the fiddler
16-12-2016, 11:21am
Update. OK - I jumped in. :rolleyes:
E-M1 II been shipped. Very excited. Thanks Ross for help.

I'm pleased you got one of the stock before Christmas. Mr Google comes in handy when searching for sellers with the camera listed & that's how I found that one. :nod:

We'll be waiting for the photos now. ;)

John King
28-01-2017, 11:51am
I received my E-M1 MkII and 12-100 before Christmas. Bought an extra battery and Hoya Pro 72mm filter for them. Special free SanDisk 32GB UHS-II 280 MBps card. Michaels knocked about $150 off the RRP of the 12-100 for buying both at once, and a bit more again off the battery when they got them in stock.

Loving them! ANY camera that can take a half decent BIF photo with me at the controls is doing something right!

Floribunda
28-01-2017, 1:20pm
I received my E-M1 MkII and 12-100 before Christmas. Bought an extra battery and Hoya Pro 72mm filter for them. Special free SanDisk 32GB UHS-II 280 MBps card. Michaels knocked about $150 off the RRP of the 12-100 for buying both at once, and a bit more again off the battery when they got them in stock.

Loving them! ANY camera that can take a half decent BIF photo with me at the controls is doing something right!

Well done John! Isn't it just the greatest little camera? I am so in love with mine that even reading bits of the manual is a joy!
I read somewhere, by someone, that they had taken 2000 shots and the battery was still going. I haven't come close to using all my battery yet, so will see how I go before shelling out for one. Busy saving up for a lens! :D
Post lots of pics!

Ross the fiddler
28-01-2017, 2:25pm

:wd: Unfortunately that information doesn't help my GAS problem though. It only makes it worse! :o :D

- - - Updated - - -

Well done John! Isn't it just the greatest little camera? I am so in love with mine that even reading bits of the manual is a joy!
I read somewhere, by someone, that they had taken 2000 shots and the battery was still going. I haven't come close to using all my battery yet, so will see how I go before shelling out for one. Busy saving up for a lens! :D
Post lots of pics!

I hope you can get that lens then. :nod: :food04:

John King
28-01-2017, 3:49pm
Thanks, Lyn & Ross. No regrets so far :).