PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Cambodia

Fettator
19-09-2016, 3:16pm
I am looking at heading to Cambodia late next year...humid season :eek:.

I will be doing 2 weeks of macro work in the rainforest and 2 weeks in Siem Reap area doing general photography (temples,people, landscapes, electrical wiring :cool: etc)

Apart from moisture silicon for cases against humidity and equipment insurance...any help would be most appreciated :love:

GB

Glenda
19-09-2016, 3:51pm
Late in the year shouldn't be too bad as it's their autumn/winter - not that it gets very cold, but usually not much rain in October onwards. We visited Vietnam in June - hot and humid and just used silicon sachets in my camera bag and had no problems.

Brendo09
19-09-2016, 4:04pm
Electrical wiring. It's an eye opener over there. :)

Not much else to add, sorry.

Mark L
19-09-2016, 8:17pm
If you are going to use more than one lens on any given day a way to stop humidity getting into gear is to carry two bodies so you don't have to change lenses.

teylward
22-09-2016, 1:46pm
Yeah, I'd suggest the silicon sachets as well. Nothing worse than having moisture show up where you don't want it.

deathrox
19-06-2017, 6:21am
I am looking at heading to Cambodia late next year...humid season :eek:.

I will be doing 2 weeks of macro work in the rainforest and 2 weeks in Siem Reap area doing general photography (temples,people, landscapes, electrical wiring :cool: etc)

Apart from moisture silicon for cases against humidity and equipment insurance...any help would be most appreciated :love:

GB

Non photographically, sign up to the goverment smart traveller alerts for Cambodia. 110v electricity in cities. Villages are often 12v battery only. Almost no land-lines.
Rolling black-outs in the cities happens multiple times a week, power can be out for several hours at a time.
US$ widely accepted and local Cambodia Riel. Last time I was there it was 4100 riel to 1 US$. Khmer is pronouced "C-my" not "c-mare" or "kemer".
"Sock-sa-buy chee-ah-tey" is a greeting. It is efectively "Are you well?" A positive responce is ""Sock-sah-by". Locals have shortend the greeting part to just "Sock-sah-by".
Khmer and French widely spoken, older people more French, younger people more English.
Population 98% buddhist.

S21 genocide museum is a must see, the killing fields and Angkor Wat are all a must. S21 is a real eye opener.

piczzilla
19-06-2017, 10:55am
I've never been to the country, but I just wanna say have fun! And I look forward to the macro goodies :D These tropical Asian countries have all the unreal critters with brilliant colours & displays. BTW, did you sign up for a macro workshop?
And I'm sure you already know about this, but don't drink the tap water :eek:

deathrox
19-06-2017, 1:57pm
And I'm sure you already know about this, but don't drink the tap water :eek:

WOW ! I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Never drink the tap water or any drink with ice in it. You will wear out several pairs of shoes with toilet trips otherwise.

Carry a roll of toilet paper with you also. It's very common over there, just not in loo's. It's mosty usded like we use tissues. ALWAYS have a roll in the bottom of your bag, even in the cities.