PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Melbourne

Wayno
29-08-2016, 1:23pm
Hello,

With one mine shutting down, and another mine opening up I'm relocating the family to Melbourne from Perth.
With that comes some fresh shooting targets.
Residing in Melbourne I'll be able to get some shots for the skyline and all else within Melbourne, but can anybody recommend places outside of Melbourne to shoot?
I've done the Great Ocean Road before, but haven't really stopped in places inbetween the 12 Apostles.
I'd like to shoot some waterfalls and countryside.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
:beer_mug:

Fettator
29-08-2016, 2:01pm
Down towards Portsea/Frankston is nice...no waterfalls though but Penguins from memory.
Woods Point/ Gaffney's Creek North of Baw Baw National Park.
Healsville area.
Street art through Melbourne is good. Have not ventured there for awhile.

Hope this is of some value... :scrtch:

GB

DacrimL
30-08-2016, 8:15pm
The northeast of Vic has some great places to photograph....

.......the only down side is at best it would be at least a 2 - 3 hour drive to get some place if not longer

Wayno
31-08-2016, 7:25pm
Thanks dacrimL,
I'll get 6 days off each break, so a 2-3 hour drive sounds great.
You're welcome to fire off a few places....
Cheers,
:th3:

The northeast of Vic has some great places to photograph....

.......the only down side is at best it would be at least a 2 - 3 hour drive to get some place if not longer

DacrimL
04-09-2016, 7:37pm
Mt Hotham, Mt Buffalo, Chiltern, Beechworth and Yackandanda for a start just to name a few.

Gazza
04-09-2016, 7:50pm
If you head to the north of the state, call in for a cuppa...just joking, can always find a beer for a weary traveler :D :D

Wayno
28-09-2016, 6:08pm
Thanks for the kind offer Gazza. You never never know.
:th3::beer_mug:

arthurking83
28-09-2016, 8:45pm
Falls:
Otways - Erskine Falls(near Lorne)
Euroa(just south of) - Gooram Falls
Mt Dissapointment(state forest) - Strath Falls
Kinglake NP - Masons Falls
Beechworth - ?
Murrindindi - Murrindindi Falls

? = can't remember the name of the falls. Once I look them up, I'll edit them for names.
Erskine Falls in the Otways(GOR) is a good one as it allows a good vantage point from above and lower down stream.
Gooram Falls aren't really spectacular, more of a 'rapids' when it's drier. With some good rain(as we've had these past few months :th3: they may come good tho)
The Mt Disappointment Strath Falls are hard to photograph from all vantage points I've attempted so far. The main view is obscured by trees and fencing :confused013
Masons Falls used to be the best watery fallsy location. Easy access and stuff, but the '09 fires had the place close for a couple of years while they did works to the area.
Nice area now, but access to the falls is basic .. ie. uninspiring.
Beechworth is nice.
Murrundindi can also be nice. Best camping area(s) I've yet found in Aus(if you're into camping). Only been there once(briefly) and can't remember seeing any access to the lower part of the falls.

If you want 100% surety, head to Erskine .. you'll get your shots there.
The others may need some planning, time, thought and patience(ie. favourable weather and stuff like that).

My main problem is finding the time to get out there again to check some of them out properly.

Wayno
30-09-2016, 5:55pm
Awesome ArthurKing83, thank you very much for putting those down in a message.

I do get a few days off in a row with my new roster, so that should allow me time to get out there ands explore.

Cheers,

NRandall
01-10-2016, 6:24pm
Hello,

With one mine shutting down, and another mine opening up I'm relocating the family to Melbourne from Perth.
With that comes some fresh shooting targets.
Residing in Melbourne I'll be able to get some shots for the skyline and all else within Melbourne, but can anybody recommend places outside of Melbourne to shoot?
I've done the Great Ocean Road before, but haven't really stopped in places inbetween the 12 Apostles.
I'd like to shoot some waterfalls and countryside.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
:beer_mug:

Wayno, I live down on the Bellarine and there are plenty of opportunities in this area with easy access to most of southwest Victoria, the Otways and other places. If you are planning to visit this area let me know via a message on my FB page and I will be happy to help out.
The images here are representative of places within reach.

https://www.facebook.com/NickRandallPhotography/

Wayno
14-11-2016, 8:28pm
Thanks again guys for your input.
I am now waiting for my gear to be delivered to Melbourne, including my computer and some lenses.

Warbler
20-11-2016, 1:36pm
Some good suggestions above. Maybe I could add some more. Yarra Valley is great for scenery and you can go right through there and then up to the snowfields via Bright. Great landscapes on the way. Nothing leads the eye into a picture more than rows of vines. There are also some great opportunities there during lambing (nature at its cutest, and sometimes cruelest). Healesville Sanctuary is good for a visit and the bird opportunities are not all inside the aviaries. Phillip Island is worth a look. Black Spur, Cape Otway, and Warburton, are worth a look too.

Wayno
24-11-2016, 7:58pm
Thanks Warbler.
More great suggestions to check out!