PDA

View Full Version : Yengo Camp out...astro... Expressions of interest?

JDuding
18-08-2016, 10:13pm
Yengo Camp out.

Went out with the 4WDs yesterday and was taken through Yengo National Park.
The views from the lookout was phenomenal.
All I could think of was how the Milky Way would look arched over that mountain range on the western horizon.

A short distance from the lookout is the Finchley Campground.
The camp ground has toilets, but no shower.
There are plenty of camp sites and the old BBQs that use old fashioned wood. Rustic.

I have been using google and am finding quite a lot of interesting sites in that area and I will try to spend a bit of time there as the weather warms.
(Google has it listed as part of QLD... it's actually only a bit over an hour away from Somersby, NSW)
https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Somersby,+New+South+Wales/Finchley+Campground,+1510050%2F9+VI+Ct,+Brassall+QLD+4305/@-33.0154301,150.9054624,12z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x6b0d345acc255cc1:0x5017d681632de00!2m2!1d151.285!2d-33.365!3m4!1m2!1d151.1096687!2d-33.0039851!3s0x6b0cd84d08a77e2f:0xaac1f70048706637!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b0cdf1ce5f93d6b:0x37fb8fc4ae50ee2b!2m2!1d151.014053!2d-32.980236!3e0

Using the 'DarkSiteFinder' (Thank you @basketballfreak6 for posting this link in another thread)
http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

The Yengo Park is only two shades from really dark. So I am expecting some bright dark skys... well, if you know what I mean :D

I was thinking some time in the next few weeks and would have to be during the week for me, I am not available weekends (but that certainly doesn't stop others from doing the same trip on a weekend if that is convenient for them).

Pretty sure the coldest part of the year is behind us and spring has the birds out and very active, so much more than just astro available for any interested in going.
I will also suggest that if able, try leaving very early in the morning. The drive through the valleys and past the farm lands in the early morning is magical and the area is full of wildlife.

So this is just a thought at this stage and just checking for any that may be interested in the camp out.
Short notice and with most modern camp sites having full amenities available... this will be an old fashioned "Ruffing It" situation.
Bring plenty of water. No taps/running water.
I should also add that the track is probably accessible with a two wheel drive car, but only if you don't like your car much. Better with a 4WD. Not all that difficult a drive, just very dusty red dirt, winding track. Suggest car pooling from Somersby.

I can't wait!

Mark L
19-08-2016, 7:17pm
That's one of those places I'd like to be able to go as the crow flies. It's not so far away then.:):nod:

Cage
19-08-2016, 7:41pm
Sounds interesting JD.

What did you have in mind? Just an over-nighter?

I guess it will be similar to our Catho Bay jaunt, cloud and moon dependent.

JDuding
19-08-2016, 7:59pm
That's one of those places I'd like to be able to go as the crow flies. It's not so far away then.:):nod:

I don't think it makes much difference which direction someone tackles that track from. It is so windy and hilly that it is not a quick trip for anyone.
From west starting at the gate on Putty RD, there are several gates to open and shut as you make it through some private properties (no locks).
That trek probably does require a 4WD.

But I am a lot closer than you and I still found it took the better part of a day to drive to Putty RD and back from Somersby. Thinking Mudgee could put a few km's on your truck getting there..

Sounds interesting JD.

What did you have in mind? Just an over-nighter?

I guess it will be similar to our Catho Bay jaunt, cloud and moon dependent.

At first I was thinking just an overnight, but there is so much I'd like to do there.
The astro for starters. The birding and probably some macro as the park blooms for spring.
Then there are all the Aboriginal sites in the area.

If we get there early enough and leave late the next day, might get it all with just an overnight stay, but I'm starting to lean towards an two nighter.

I haven't checked the moon and milkyway times yet, but as long as the weather stays pretty clear then we should get some pretty cool shots.
A couple of weeks ago I did check Stellarium and saw that towards the end of this month the milky way would favour shooting towards the west at around midnight.
I might need an arvo nap to be right enough for that.:D

arthurking83
20-08-2016, 9:19am
That trek probably does require a 4WD.

OK! now you're talking(actually.. typing, but you get the picture :p)

I'll be off soon to study all my maps of the area.

If the stars align correctly, I'd be up for a drive .. actually, any drive .. to anywhere.
(finding the time is the hard bit ATM)

I was out that way about a month ago.
Missed Mark by about 50klms and Kev by about 15m(he was about 15m across the road).
Was in a bit of a hurry-ish, and timing wasn't ideal.
But an interesting place to revisit for sure ...

watching with interest.

Cage
20-08-2016, 11:12am
Sounds like the lads in Maitland sorted the Forby for you Artie.

Hope you can make it as it would be good to catch up after our near miss.

arthurking83
20-08-2016, 11:32am
Sounds like the lads in Maitland sorted the Forby for you Artie.

Yeah, that was the easy part, both in terms of as a physical operation(on their part) and allowance of trust(on my part)

ps. I have a massive disdain for any unknown mechanics, based mainly on experience.

Transfer case was a straight swap/changeover.

What was hard was handing over the CC, knowing the impact it was going to cause .. and yet I still managed to purchase a bit of other gear(mainly because the overall operation of the place was pretty well sorted)
My motto is: good service, deserves respect, so I spent about $500 more on stuff I reckon I didn't really need ;)

A current concern I have is:
My general modus operandi on my trips is to drive overnight, photograph early morning, sight see during the day, and more photographs later in the afternoon followed by more driving overnight again.
Do that a couple of times, find myself having got back home :confused013 .. sleep for a couple of days and repeat when neccessary.
I'm going to struggle with the camping overnight. Not the camping aspect itself(love it) .. but that camping involves very little, to no driving :p

Cage
20-08-2016, 12:19pm
A current concern I have is:
My general modus operandi on my trips is to drive overnight, photograph early morning, sight see during the day, and more photographs later in the afternoon followed by more driving overnight again.
Do that a couple of times, find myself having got back home :confused013 .. sleep for a couple of days and repeat when neccessary.
I'm going to struggle with the camping overnight. Not the camping aspect itself(love it) .. but that camping involves very little, to no driving :p

A classic case of night driving withdrawal.

Easy fix. Sleep in the car in the drivers seat. :lol2:

JDuding
20-08-2016, 1:17pm
I should point out to the serious 4wd enthusiasts, that the track was in no way challenging for my truck, but probably a bit much for most 2wd's.

I have been planning a trip to the Warrumbungles. That is really high on my list. Then I saw the new TV show, "Under the milkyway" and it is all about the siding springs observatory and now it's probably be packed full of other tourists :D

If people are more keen to go there than the Yengo National Park, let me know. I'm keen for either and both.

Cage
20-08-2016, 2:59pm
My 4WD is purely to get me into places that a normal vehicle can't, so the lack of a challenge is no deterrent to me.

Siding Springs and The Dish are on my bucket list as part of a longer trip.

Yengo NP suits me and mid week is good too as there is less likelihood of other campers running around with lights and ruining your night vision.

I'll be taking my motorised mount too.

JDuding
20-08-2016, 4:42pm
Sounds good to me Kev.
The Yengo camp out will be a good test for me to make sure I have everything I'll need before heading out to the Warrumbungles.

That motorised mount sounds sweet. I need to buy or make an L mount so I can do panoramas.

JDuding
26-08-2016, 9:39am
My DIY 360 panorama camera mount has an issue.
Finally put it all together and the adjustable arm twists.
Bugger.
Will need a complete rebuild with a thicker length in it's place.
This will require everything else to be repositioned to compensate.

http://i.imgur.com/oM5BlKm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DvJiX7p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/33x7fAc.jpg

-----------

This week has been just rain and next week looks like overcast all week.
Will keep an eye on the weather.
But it does give me more time for the camera mount rebuild. ;)

Cage
26-08-2016, 1:39pm
Hey JD.

Have you considered one of these? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848913-REG/FEISOL_PB_70_PB_70_Panning_Base.html

I have one and it's quite well made.

JDuding
26-08-2016, 7:55pm
Thanks Kev.

I wanted to make it all myself, but the idea of marking out all the degrees around my home made base is a bit more than i want to do now. I've spent more time on the contraption than I originally intended and now it's up for a rebuild.

That base you linked looks just right mate. :D

JDuding
07-09-2016, 7:30am
Well, I misread the forecast leading up to the start of this week.
I thought that with cloud being predicted for all the days leading up to and following Monday, that Monday would probably be a rightoff as well.
But From Sunday and all through Monday and Tuesday were ideal for a trip like this.

Spewin'. :rolleyes:

Oh well. I did get out and take a few snaps.

Here's hoping for another clear period in the near future.