PDA

View Full Version : Older Long Lens for Birds

martycon
06-08-2016, 6:23pm
I am thinking of a budget alternative for bird shots. I have a M4/3 converter to Nikon, and am Ok with an all manual lens. A fixed 300 to 400mm lens would give me 600mm plus effective length. If the lens is tack sharp, I will be happy to back away from the subject. I am using and very happy with an older Micro Nikor for macro, which cost less than $200, so hope for a repeat experience, optimist that I am.
cheers marty.

Mark L
06-08-2016, 8:41pm
Good luck with manual focus, I don't think I could do that.:(
I've recently got a lens that goes to 600mm and very quickly found I needed a monopod for stability. Quite surprised the change from 400mm to 600mm made a difference in how much more stable everything has to be.

Mary Anne
06-08-2016, 10:10pm
Marty I have tried that on my E-M1 with my Canon Birding 300mm f/4 lens I found it very hard to use shooting with Manual Focus on a prime lens.
I also found it top heavy to hand hold.... It's a lot different and easier with my Canon and Tamron Macro lenses on the E-M1 though.

martycon
06-08-2016, 11:07pm
Mark,I have been using manual as can not seem to control where auto focus focuses on. Perhaps this is one of my faults which requires work. Was not thinking of BIF with manual. And yes some sort of pod would be essential.
regards marty

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your comments, I am interested that You and Mark have reservations with manual focus, and I respect your combined experience. I will experiment with focusing the Nikor rather than varying distance. I use the magnifier screen, and find it easier than auto when looking at a bird surrounded by twigs and leaves, but give this more thought.
regards marty.