PDA

View Full Version : B&W with colour + tutorial

SirNobicus
06-10-2006, 9:02am
Here are a couple of images that I am working on for my wedding album, and after seeing that there was a request for a how to from the lady in red thread. I thought I'd get off my arse and type it up for all of you.

http://nob.au.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/20090025_sml.jpg

http://nob.au.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/20090024_sml.jpg

http://nob.au.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/19890024.jpg

tutorial: how to colourise only sections of an image.

Open the image in your editor of choice. It must support the use of layers (ie photoshop or the Gimp).
If you are using RAW images import them in and adjust them as you normally would.

Once in PS or the gimp duplicate the background layer, and give it a fairly meaningful name. (this is not really that important, but it may help you if you go back through your old images and try and work out what you have done, I usually use "colour" for my naming of the layer)

turn visibility off the background layer. then select the layer that you want to modify.

now for the hardest part. You need to select just the part of the image that you want coloured. This will be time consuming, and will take a couple of goes to get it right (esp when using a touchpad instead of a mouse.

a)the eraser tool, Using varying size erasers and levels of zoom erase out the parts original image that you dont want in colour. This I have found to be the easiest especially if you reduce the hardness of the edges. It will make the transition fairly seemless.

b)The lasso tool, same sort of principle as the eraser tool I have found it easier to select chunks of the non-coloured image and delete them, rather than the coloured image. This does depend on complexity

c)The magic wand tool, I have had mixed results with the magic wand tool. It hasnt been overly successful, and I have had too much of a chance to play with it further.

Once you are happy with the image that you have cropped, you now need to make the background visible, and hide your "colour" layer

The method that I prefer to use for making the image B&W is to add a New Adjustment Layer ==> Hue and saturation
note: make sure that it is only on the background layer.

reduce the saturation on Master, how far to reduce the saturation is really up to personal choice and the image. I have done both full B&W and still having a little colour

Make your colour visible.

and if you are going to be using the image in something like a collage make sure you flatten the layers.

Couple of Things to try. Increase the colour saturation on the colour layer. it gives it a more surreal effect.

And if you get through all that and give it a try, post your results here

Bax
06-10-2006, 9:16am
Great post.

I use my 30 dollar special MS Picture It for all things like this.

Open your image.
Select your cut out tool.
Select the are you want n colour, zoom and lots of patience.
Control D to Duplicate the layer.
Bring layer to top.
Remove colour from background layer.
Done.

For a 30 buck program it goes alright. Nothing worth posting though.

TassieSnapper
06-10-2006, 3:22pm
Here is one I just quickly put together just then.

Its pretty rough though.

SirNobicus
06-10-2006, 3:58pm
woo....
see it is easy as!

SirNobicus
06-10-2006, 5:18pm
Something that I did forget to mention in the original post is that this method can be used to blurr the background. Instead of desaturating the background layer, blur it.

I used this for another wedding photo where the background was really sharp, and the focus was not on the wife and I

thing
07-10-2006, 9:30pm
Hello SirNobicus,

Thankyou so much for you tutorial. This is something I have wanted to do for sometime now but was too lazy to work out how to do it. Your tutorial was excellent. I had it done in 10 minutes.

BTW you are a lucky man your wife is beautiful. You both look so happy on your special day..good stuff:th3:

Here's my effort:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/kram62/WP_BWCOL.jpg

thanks again!!

thing

TassieSnapper
07-10-2006, 10:06pm
Hey a fellow water polo player.

thing
07-10-2006, 11:47pm
Someone stop me...I've gone crazy with this!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h5/kram62/ZaneEyes2.jpg

Knawful
07-10-2006, 11:51pm
Way to start a craze...lmao..

Had to try it on one of our wedding photo's.:th3:

Ronbo
08-10-2006, 12:00am
OK Thing get a hold of yourserlf!! AH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Very nice work fellas, but be warned "Selective Colouring" in most circles online is frowned upon. I am not a huge fan of it myself, but there is a time and place for it.

As far as your wives I would have to say they are very beautiful Dowden and SirNobicus....I'm sure y'all don't deserve them!!

SirNobicus
09-10-2006, 4:46pm
don't deserve my wife....
yeah you are probably right.
:confused013

As for the selective colouring, I am only using it in very selective shots...about 4 or 5 out of about 80 in my wedding album, and they are all small shots.

I just think that they add something to the shot, when used selectively
:action003:

Pam
14-10-2006, 9:39am
Its a nice effect
thanks for the tutorial I would like to see more tutorials like this
Pam