PDA

View Full Version : Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro 1:1 Macro

Hawthy
21-07-2016, 8:00pm
Google. It is a bad, bad habit.

Somehow I came across focus-stacking. This lead me to focus-stacking landscapes. Then to focus-stacking macros. Then to the best macro lenses. Then to other uses for macro lenses. The Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro looks like a great lens for portraits as well as macro.

Before I spring the $450 - $500 for the lens, I would like to see if others have used it and what they used it for? I see it as something to replace my kit 55-200mm as well as having the macro aspect.

All advice and comments gratefully accepted. Cheers.

piczzilla
21-07-2016, 8:49pm
I don't have this lens specifically, so I can't comment on it.

I do however have the sigma 105mm macro lens. I think the reach of this focal length is good for most critters out there, but not the extra skittish ones like dragonflies (unless you catch them during early morning when they're still sluggish). If you do plan on shooting dragonflies specifically, you might need the 180mm focal length.

Also, if you're planning on shooting handheld macro, I think the weight of the lens is just perfect (mine is slightly lighter than this lens). Any heavier and you might need a tripod to get tack sharp macro shots (or Hercules muscles). In my opinion using a tripod for macro brings more trouble than what it's worth - Not many insects will be polite enough to wait for you to set up your tripod. Also, from experience, I often have to hold the gear with 1 hand, while the other one is clearing the path to the subject (holding the grass steady, pushing tree branches out of the way, etc), so the lighter is better in my opinion. Not sure if other macro shooters have better methods. And I apologize if you're thinking about non-wildlife macro.

I also use this lens for some portraits and have been very pleased with the results. Again, this is my comment to my Sigma 105mm, hope someone else can enlighten you on this particular lens.

Mary Anne
21-07-2016, 9:09pm
Sorry that is a macro lens I don't have either though I find most macro lens good for portraits, even for Insects :D
And I have never come across a bad Macro lens yet, so you should be OK with what ever you choose.