PDA

View Full Version : Scanner recommendations please.

BLWNHR
04-07-2016, 11:12am
I want to scan all our photo albums and negatives (35mm only) so I can digitally archive them, so I need a scanner.

I need it to:

Scan photographs up to A4 in size.

Scan 35mm negatives.
Can anyone recommend make/s and/or model/s to look into please?

Scan quality doesn't have to be unbelievable, I would be satisfied with 'very good'.

I've done a search and considered the results but I'm after current recommendations. Thanks.

tduell
04-07-2016, 11:51am
Hello Adam,
I have been using an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo scanner for what seems like donkey's years, and it does all the things you require and at quite good resolution, and no problems/issues. I am very satisfied with Epson.
This model has been superseded, but any of the current V370, V550, V600 models would do the job, just depends on what you want to pay.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Terry

MissionMan
04-07-2016, 12:13pm
I bought a cheap eBay special and it seemed to work fine. There are ones that write to memory card.

Babu
18-07-2016, 7:30pm
Hi Adam
I agree with Terry in regard to Epson scanners.
I recently upgraded from a good Canoscan which was still doing an excellent job with Windows 7 64 bit; however, we wanted to change our OS to Windows 10 and couldn't acquire appropriate drivers despite genuine attempts to help by Canon Australia.
We opted for the Epson V800 which is giving us excellent results with A4 scanning. We haven't tried scanning negatives yet but believe that it will do a superior job of that as well. It is ready immediately as it uses LED lamps and the negative holders hold the negs flatter than the holders of previous models did. The glass quality has also been improved. Medium format negs can also be scanned.
The V800 is not cheap though. We also looked at the V600.

ameerat42
18-07-2016, 7:39pm
The scanner models stated are OK and up to the task.
(Surprised about your Canoscan woes, Babu. Use the prog in Win 7 compat mode?)

--But you'd want to bone up pretty well on scanning technique. It is not a cakewalk.

Babu
19-07-2016, 5:56pm
Hi ameerat
After all Canon's attempts to help us failed and we had tried several other approaches, we opted to give the Canoscan away to someone still using Win7 and move on to the Epson as everything else was working very well with Win 10 Pro 64 bit.
I'm pretty sure we made a move in the right direction.

ameerat42
20-07-2016, 8:39am
Sounds just like a tech-NO-logic-al advance :D
(In this case, CANOT!)