PDA

View Full Version : Adequate tripod question

Gareth
26-06-2016, 11:26am
Hi everyone

I've just been given a manfrotto compact advanced tripod. The camera I would be using on in is a Nikon D3300 and the biggest lens I currently have is a Nikon 55-300mm that came with the camera. The box with the tripod says it will take entry level SLRs up to 200mm but it also says it will take up to 3kg.

I would like to do some long(ish) exposure photography with it so I'ma bit confused if it will be adequate. There's also no hook to hang any weight off the middle of the tripod either. Would tying something around the head to weigh it down help? Or should I just return it and get the next model up which can hold 4kg. The tripod came from **Company name removed** so I'm limited to exchange only.

Thanks

Gareth

ricktas
26-06-2016, 5:28pm
The issue will be that the tripod head will not hold the weight, adding a weight to it will do nothing. Basically, if you overload the tripod head, you risk something simple like the head slowing dropping during a long exposure, or something serious, like the head breaks and your camera/lens fall to the ground.

ameerat42
26-06-2016, 5:57pm
Gareth. STOP! Check that out V carefully! DON'T just rely on salesperson-talk or dodgy signs in the store.

For NSW, and I'm sure that similar conditions apply nationwide
Although I removed the company name (for site rules and for being irrelevant to the discussion), I know for a fact that the
place in Q must refund your money if the goods do not perform as you expected them to. (See their T&Cs at the returns desk).
BUT ALSO, only the smaller operators will try to pull that "exchange only" trick and ONLY because they can usually get away with it
because their stuff is cheap and it's not worth the hassle. - But they're also wrong!

So, IF you just made a mistake and the goods are not suitable, take them back for a refund. -- THAT's if they're still in good
condition, packaging, etc. HECK!! Lots of places sell you REFURBISHED goods these days anyway. Some even tell you that.

Now, I've go NO ADVICE to add about the tripod's capabilities, but go on what Rick said.

Cage
26-06-2016, 5:59pm
:th3: what Rick said.

If you post the model # of the tripod and the head it will help to give you some better advice about a substitute.

Gareth
28-06-2016, 11:20pm
The camera with the 55-300mm lens attached is just over 1kg. The only thing I've got to go of is the box which says "up to 3kg". As it was a gift I might just take it back and get the next model up (holds 4kg) just for piece of mind. Our would one believe the word of the reputable manufacturer (manfrotto)?

Hamster
29-06-2016, 1:15am
Have you tried it? Does it feel stable, did the head move on a long exposure. Give it a nudge, set it up where there is some wind....do you feel comfortable using it after all that. No...change it
ameerat42 Australian consumer warranty covers things being mis sold or not fit for purpose. But if he actually asked for that model (or someone else asked for it and gave it to him) then it's not the suppliers fault if he made a mistake. Yes, if the supplier said "yes mate, it will be great for that set up you just described"... and it wobbles around like a jelly then he's got a case due to the product having to
"be fit for the purpose the business told you it would be fit for and for any purpose that you made known to the business before purchasing"
otherwise
"Consumer guarantees do not apply if you:

got what you asked for but simply changed your mind, found it cheaper somewhere else, decided you did not like the purchase or had no use for it

Spot on re those other points though. The old, you'll have to take it to this repairer, or we don't exchange sale goods" etc trick really annoys me. Luckily the ACCC has some teeth now and although many of the rules have been in place for years, they're getting more widely known and enforced. The rules are very clear and knowing them seems to get a good outcome with the shop.

unistudent1962
29-06-2016, 8:00am
Hi Gareth,

Most stores are happy for you to spend more money, so if you decide to exchange it for a more expensive model I doubt you'll have any problems.

As suggested above, knowing which model you bought and which type of head it has (ball, pistol grip, 3 way pan, etc) will allow forum members to make more informed suggestions as to whether or not it's suitable.

Tripods are one of those items that are better to avoid buying only as much as you need, ie if you're camera and lens weighs in at 2kg look for a model that will support more weight, eg 4kg.

As far as your rights as a consumer are concerned, if you have any problems use this as a reference.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

Gareth
29-06-2016, 8:05pm
The model is just printed as manfrotto compact advanced. It has a way head and no numbers on the packaging. The manual says MKCOMPACTADV-BK.