PDA

View Full Version : X1D anyone?

Hamster
24-06-2016, 1:00am
Hasselblad just made the mirrorless format very interesting....

http://www.hasselblad.com/x1d

Toddyh
24-06-2016, 10:33am
That looks pretty interesting. Love my mirrorless but this thing looks a class above. The $9k price is pretty off-putting for a mirrorless though and so it the f3.5 being their widest lens.

Hamster
24-06-2016, 10:50am
That looks pretty interesting. Love my mirrorless but this thing looks a class above. The $9k price is pretty off-putting for a mirrorless though and so it the f3.5 being their widest lens.

The lenses aren't cheap either but the sharpness achievable should be really good. The DoF on a medium format is much narrower so if you have a lens going down to the "usual" 1.4 then only a thin sliver will be in focus. Plus with 14 stops of dynamic range you can pull a lot more out of the shadows. For landscapes it could be a good alternative to the 645z.

fillum
24-06-2016, 3:56pm
Wossit for ?

arthurking83
24-06-2016, 5:31pm
.... The DoF on a medium format is much narrower so if you have a lens going down to the "usual" 1.4 then only a thin sliver will be in focus. .....

That's it.
F/3.5 is actually fast for a MF.
While you can get f/2.8 lenses for MF(eg. Pentax) .. the 135 format equivalent f/stop(in dof terms) for a f/3.5 lens is something like f/2. That's plenty wide enough.

The 135 format Sony A7's are notorious for battery killing power requirements .. it'll be interesting how this thing handles(real world) battery life(as opposed to claimed CIPA figures).

Prices seem strangely low tho! :confused013
While the prices seem high if you just take them on face value, compared to historical HB pricing policies, these prices are cheap!

jim
24-06-2016, 5:45pm
Wow. I want one. Won't be getting one though.

Hamster
24-06-2016, 7:08pm
Prices seem strangely low tho! :confused013

Yes, that's why I compared it to the Pentax 645z. I'm guessing they're going for a similar audience of people who want to get into the resolution and range of MF but really can't justify the eye watering prices of a Phase One QF system. Like I say though, the H series of lenses are all pretty expensive. I'm not sure on the quality of the range, I assume some are better than the others. I'm not familiar enough with the 645z or HB H series lenses to be able to compare quality and value for money. If anyone is I'd be interested to hear about it.

swifty
25-06-2016, 10:34pm
It uses one of the smaller MF sensor formats so after applying the crop factor, you're looking at around 70mm f2.5 and 35mm f2.8 FF equiv for the 90mm f3.2 and 45mm f3.5 lenses respectively in terms of FOV and DOF.
I don't think shallowest DOF or lowest light capabilities were ever the main focus for this and other MF formats.
But for a wide range of moderate to good light shooting conditions, this will likely offer the best IQ possible in a far more manageable size and price.